How Would A Cavalier And German Shepherd Go Together?

ive said it here before and some disagreed

but ill stick to my guns and tell you of my experience with my gsd

i am a fan of them

i still admire them

they are so loyal and devoted...it is really touching

my gsd came from qld '

i chose him myself and he wqas a sweet submissive pup

but when we wnet home he was introduced to my dominant dachshund

all was fine til the gsd reached nine months

a fight ensued over a ball

dachsie went for the gsd and that was the final straw

gsd killed him

i always think of it as me killing my darling dachsie

cos it wqas my inexperience of putting two dogs together

they were both desexed

but i think the problem was ..was that both dogs wanted me badly

and were very possessive

even though nothing happened til the ball incident

it was all simmering no doubt but i had no experience with reading signals

ive had a cav

much softer nature than a dachsie who can be quite fiesty with other dogs

so there is a definite chance that your cav will just mellow out even more and succumb totally to your new gsd

but gsds do want to be with you

they can be possessive of their owner and naturally protective

because of my experience ill never have a gsd again

but thats a personal thing

cos id want to get another dog as well and id always be wary

its a big price to pay...getting the combination right

personally i think you get something aloof with the gsd

let the gsd have the luxury of your attention and the other dog should be a breed that is more independent and not so needy

of course you can train any dog

goood luck

cos if the training isnt spot on

theres a lot to lose

i cant speak with any great authority

there are people here who can speak from more experience

and maybe i was just darn unlucky

still

wouldnt take a chance

dont get me wrong either

im not afraid of gsds

even though my boy turned my dachsie into a rack of lamb in seconds

i know they are marvellous dogs

and any big dog could do damage to a little one and in some cases vice versa applies

if i had a cav id get another mellow breed like a golden retriever or lab..maybe even a nice spaniel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think GSD's can be quite full on when they are young. My girl is 14 months old and plays quite rough, and when playing with smaller dogs she tends to 'paw' at them to catch them and interact with them which can be too rough with the little dogs! She has gotten better, but I wouldn't get a smaller sized dog as her companion til she was a few years older and a bit less enthusiastic! :thumbsup:

I am a strong believer that dogs understand the size difference. Take my Great Dane for example. She has grown up with my GSD. We got them a week apart both 8 weeks old. She plays completely different with her then she does my brother cross breed blue healer and even my parents JRT X Shitsu. She is so gentle and normally tip toes around them and will let them set the standard of play..Were as with her "sister" it is a free for all.

It all comes down to training and the specific dog. Do your research and pay attention to the signals that you are getting from your dogs.

My GSD (white) has grown up with Molly an 8 year old Jack Russell.. and he just adores her.. she is the BOSS! But nature wise he is quite 'soft' and gentle (fearful and dog aggressive with other dogs he has not grown up with though which we are still working on) ...I think it can definitely be done with the right breeder and right pup... for boisterous play we always gave him plenty of it with my friends dogs and he just seemed to work out how to play with Molly.

Here is a soft placid GSD that by one poster is a reject. A true GSD is adaptable to all situations .

My GSD was an entire male,used at stud,show breed from pure german lines

A GSD is all about ownership .

My boy had never meet these dogs but all our big dogs are taught manners & IF THE OWNERS are prepared for reality,prepared to have the house set up for the puppy stages & totally committed it will work but all factors must be consdiered

I will also attach a photo of our other big dogs/small dog combos

post-219-1274088467_thumb.jpg

post-219-1274088708_thumb.jpg

Edited by showdog

Love that photo Showdog :thumbsup: I also have a lovely soft placid but confident GSd that loves playing with puppies too :thumbsup:

I wish aI could get some clear shots of Jazz with the Mary the pointer i have here kissing each other it can go on for 10 mins sometimes :thumbsup: I just love to see different breeds together its lovely :rofl:

As a kid, my best friend's family had a Maltese and a succession of GSDs- the little one was the boss!! Thanks to them, I love GSDs and if I was in the right circumstances would have one in a heartbeat! :thumbsup:

I have been emailing two breeders but one is for a working line as Marcus runs 40km's at least a week I thought maybe the working line would be better for this. Could I be wrong?

I could be wrong, but arent working lines bred for protection work? :thumbsup: If so I would be a bit concerned about that if you are novice GSD owners.

Personally, I wouldnt get a working line dog of any breed unless I was going to "work" it, but thats just me. :thumbsup:

Most fit dogs could cope with that kind of workout, my GR would cope if we built up to it (she has regularly done about 24kms a week). Also, remember that as a large breed your GSD pup wouldnt be able to run like that for some time.

Especially as you are concerned for your cav, I'd be picking more on the basis of temperament.

A working line would have a higher prey drive (which is not aggression, but could be a problem because you have a small, fluffy dog).

Also, I would imagine that a working line GSD would be bored in an "ordinary" household. I wouldn't get a working line of any dog unless I was going to do some very serious dog sport (I can't imagine a run would keep a working line dog entertained).

Even in working lines you can get some that are more placid and more suitable for pets than work :thumbsup:

A lot of working line GSD breeders that have websites I have noticed in their puppy forms have a choice of pet/work/sport on their form :thumbsup:

I would certainly pick on temperament, take time to research your breeder, try to talk to other people who have dogs from them, to see if you like the sort of dogs they breed, especially in a breed like the GSD. Regardless of whether you go for show or working line.

Geez Black Bronson - way to give GSD's a good rap!!! NOT! I'm currently seeing working lines GSD's every day if i can manage it - and each and every one of them has been a gentle smoocher with me, but put them to work and they'll rip you a new one.

A true GSD is an alrounder - My GSD at the the million paws walk yesterday was a true gentleman with dogs big, small and tiny yesterday - yet come into my yard uninvited and he along with my other one will tear you a new one. He's not 'true' working lines tho his parents were working security dogs - fully papered tho.

Sunny - a well bred GSD (eg temp, type, health) will fit in well, however they won't be running for a good while due to age. It may be worth looking into a young adult GSD either from a rescue or from a breeder/showie who has run on a dog but has decided to rehome the dog. Here is a great place to ask your questions but remember people have their own opinions :thumbsup: So take from it what you will and i wish you the best in picking your GSD - they are seriously wonderful dogs :thumbsup:

At the end of June Im adding a Cavalier puppy to my crew..an 8 year old Great Dane and an eight month old Staffy. I have no worries as the Dane is gentle yet playful with the little Staffy. Im holding back getting the Cavalier untill hes 10/12 weeks old just to have him a little more robust. I have no worries at all about the Staffy..he loves everyone and was fine with baby puppy we had here for a few days recently. In my view it depends on how you present yourself as leader. Sure there can be outbursts. Only natural..Ive seen large and small breeds coexist happily many times...a lot depends on your confident handling though.....oh and I have an ultra tiny Chi too...nobody crosses her!!! :eek:

Edited by Liebhunde

I think it's more the accidental things that can happen when there is such a size difference and a pup involved. I had a lovely Dobe with my Cavaliers and they got on wonderfully. Once she died I so missed her and bought another pup. He was a big solid pup and jumped about as pups will do. He knocked into one of my girls one night and she got squished between him and the brick wall and was very shaken. There was no malice - it was a pure accident but I decided that is was too much of a worry and he went back to his breeder :eek: I would love another big dog. Maybe if I got an adult it might be better.

Guest *Pixie*

I have large dogs and small dogs - my smallest is about 4kg and my largest about 35kg.

We don't have any problems in day to day life, but I manage them understanding that while there's something of a risk you take in running ANY dogs together, the risks are a little higher when you have two of very different sizes. There's purely accidental injuries which could occur through the bigger dog not being totally aware of where the smaller is, and then if they do have a disagreement, the smaller dog is obviously at a very big disadvantage.

I have different pens for my little guys and my big guys to be in during the day or when I can't be watching. They all get along and mix together under supervision when I'm home with absolutely no problems.

DesmoFinta.jpg

DesmoFinta2.jpg

BrodyandHollyexhausted2.jpg

DesmoandBrody.jpg

DesmoSwipingFinta.jpg

HF2.jpg

HF4.jpg