Heartworm Vaccine

Hi when grace was having her normal vaccines the vet suggested on her getting the heartworm vaccine when she reached 45 kilo. She is def near that mark so was thinking of getting it but ive heard afew bad things about it on here. Has any one ever not had a good experience with it? Shes a saint bernard.

I am convinced that my two dogs developed skin allergies after having the heartworm injection. I used it for two years before ai worked out the connection and will never use it again.

Another friend on here had a young dog die after it.

There have also been far too many adverse reports my liking so I have gone back to using Interceptor monthly.

I researched it pretty extensively a few years back as I have an epileptic Pug and I thought there may be a link. To be honest, I could not make any connection between the drug and the condition in my case. I did learn though, that while the adverse reactions to the vaccine seem to be higher than average, most of it is internet hype.

In having said that, I decided to only give my dogs and rescues the monthly preventative tablet based on the thought that if there is any type of reaction, there is only up to 6 weeks worth of drug in the dog's system compared to more than 52 weeks. Keep in mind though, the injection and the monthly tablet have different ingredients too.

Edited by ~Anne~

It is not a VACCINE. It does nothing to the immune system. It is a massive dosage of chemicals which hangs around in the dog's system for at least a year. If your dog has a reaction to it it's there for a very long time, with the daily or monthly preventatives it's much easier to take the dog off the chemical. Yes I have done it and none of my 3 had any illeffects, but I certainly won't ever be doing it again or recommending it to anyone.

I haven't seen any negative side effects nor heard of them personally however at my workplace its not very common that we do the proheart injection.

It is not because we don't trust it.. but the monthly heartworm treatments are usually much more cost effective and thats what I'd probably recommend to you. Atm I'm using Revolution but am considering switching to Sentinel.

Thanks she is on the sentinal at the moment but it only goes up to 45 kilo.

You just need to buy another smaller pack and give her two chews each month. For Orbit, I get the 22-45kg plus the 11-22kg which covers him, being 60kg

^^^What Stormie said.

I'd never give the ProHeart injection. Not just because of all the internet hype, that many breeders/owners recommend against it, or the fact that it has been pulled from the market overseas, but for the fact of once it's been injected that's it. No way of getting it out of the dog system if they have a reaction. Too much of a risk IMO.

If she's done well with Sentinel stick with that. Or if you don't have an issue with fleas you could always switch to Interceptor which is a lot cheaper and still treats Heartworm and intestinal worms (the only difference is that it doesn't render fleas infertile like Sentinal does). Plus you can aways treat fleas if and when they arise :thumbsup:

Is Interceptor safe to give every 6 weeks opposed to every 4 like its recommended on the packet? I thought I read on here somewhere that its perfectly safe to give 6th weekly but it says 4th weekly to make it easier to remember when to dose is that right?

I havnt started either of my girls on Interceptor yet, my JRT still has the injection running around her system, and my pup isnt due for heartworm again just yet, but Ive bought a pack because she is due soon

It is not a VACCINE. It does nothing to the immune system. It is a massive dosage of chemicals which hangs around in the dog's system for at least a year. If your dog has a reaction to it it's there for a very long time, with the daily or monthly preventatives it's much easier to take the dog off the chemical. Yes I have done it and none of my 3 had any illeffects, but I certainly won't ever be doing it again or recommending it to anyone.

Thank you Sandra777. Good post :).

ETA: And just to be clear .... and following suit to the others who posted after me - It's a big fat "no" from me too.

Edited by Erny

One of my dogs died from immune-mediated thrombocytopenia last year. She had an anaphylactic reaction after having the ProHeart injection a few months earlier.

Although I'll never know for sure, I can't help but think the ProHeart injection was the cause. Never again.

Sorry about your dog HM...but I think anaphylaxis would have been more instantaneous after having the injection rather than being a few months later...poor pup, RIP :)

Sadly you will never know what caused the reaction, but chances are it wasnt the Pro Heart if it happened a few months after the injection...it could have been anything :)

Not advocating the injection btw, I have given it to my JRT for the last few years, but she wont be getting it again

Sorry about your dog HM...but I think anaphylaxis would have been more instantaneous after having the injection rather than being a few months later...poor pup, RIP :)

Sadly you will never know what caused the reaction, but chances are it wasnt the Pro Heart if it happened a few months after the injection...it could have been anything :)

Not advocating the injection btw, I have given it to my JRT for the last few years, but she wont be getting it again

The anaphylaxis was more or less instantaneous. The thrombocytopenia happened later. Sorry, my post was poorly worded.

The anaphylaxis was more or less instantaneous. The thrombocytopenia happened later. Sorry, my post was poorly worded.

My border collie did go into anaphalactic shock almost immediatley after a heartworm injection. It wasn't MDR1 mutation. He did recover because of emergency vet treatment but I would never give another dog a heartworm injection.

Oh ok, yeah that makes more sense now

Sorry, I wasnt undermining you, I just didnt want you blaming the injection when it could have been something else...but as it turns out it probably was the injection lol :rofl:

Is Interceptor safe to give every 6 weeks opposed to every 4 like its recommended on the packet? I thought I read on here somewhere that its perfectly safe to give 6th weekly but it says 4th weekly to make it easier to remember when to dose is that right?

I havnt started either of my girls on Interceptor yet, my JRT still has the injection running around her system, and my pup isnt due for heartworm again just yet, but Ive bought a pack because she is due soon

Yep, it's safe :thumbsup:

If you read the info inside the pack it says:

What happens if I miss a dose or am late dosing?

The regular interval between doses is one month i.e. approximately 30 days. If you miss your regular monthly treatment by 15 days or less, administer INTERCEPTOR SPECTRUM immediately and resume your monthly dosage scedule. If the interval is longer than 15 days and up to 30 days, heartworm prevention can still be maintained if you redose immediately and then maintain regular monthly dosing for the next 2 months. If a period of greater than 60 days had elapsed since the last dose, please contact your veterinarian.

Every 6 weeks is 42 days so well within the limits. On the same day every month is more convenient for the average person and easier to remember, while also allowing those extra 15 days if you happen to forget.

Since I have no trouble remembering I'd rather give my dog his every 6 weeks than overload him with more than he needs :laugh: