Now I Know It's Not Really My Business But....

BL a lot of rescues don't take private surrenders - they only take dogs from the pound.

That's a shame. The dogs needs are no different.

actually they are - dogs in the pound are facing being put down in most cases - their need is quite often far greater and far more immediate. Many rescues take private surrenders when able and dependant on the individual situation but in a straight out comparison between a dog that has an owner there that can take responsibility and a dog in a pound facing a count down to death, it is no contest who has the greater need.

Fair enough. Hopefully there are breed specific rescues around who can take the dog if it's still available.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to reply to an ad on Gumtree from someone rehoming their undesexed lab girl saying she could be bred. I'm trying to send through a message telling them about puppy farms and backyard breeders and the best thing to do for her would be to desex and add the cost to the asking price.

Problem is every time I try to send it it tells me I have to put my mobile number in the 'message' box of the email part on the right. i tried a thousand times so finally did put my mobile number and that was the only time it worked!! So the people have got a message with just my mobile number in it and nothing else. Great.

Can anyone shed some light on how to get around this so I can actually send them TEXT? I registered and everything but it didn't make a difference.

I'm trying to reply to an ad on Gumtree from someone rehoming their undesexed lab girl saying she could be bred. I'm trying to send through a message telling them about puppy farms and backyard breeders and the best thing to do for her would be to desex and add the cost to the asking price.

Problem is every time I try to send it it tells me I have to put my mobile number in the 'message' box of the email part on the right. i tried a thousand times so finally did put my mobile number and that was the only time it worked!! So the people have got a message with just my mobile number in it and nothing else. Great.

Can anyone shed some light on how to get around this so I can actually send them TEXT? I registered and everything but it didn't make a difference.

I send an email...from Martha Jones

I don't have their email address though, it doesn't seem to be listed, only their phone numbers! unless i'm overlookng it? where is it usually located?

CP, thank you for trying to help this girl. Looks like the story's fairly clear (and all too common unfortunately :rofl: ). I'm assuming the former owner didn't have the dog microchipped either.

Do what you can, I wish you every success. Hope this lovely old girl will be safe in a forever home soon.

ps. Many of my dog-related adventures have started out with 'I know it's not really my business, but...' :)

Hey Mel,

Sometimes people don't supply their emails so people are forced to contact them directly so they can 'weed' out the serious buyers. Your best option is either calling the number or messaging the number asking for an email address as it would be easier for you to contact them on it.

O.P I did a post on a byber from gumtree recently and it is your business. If no one gets concerned then these people run unchecked they are money hungry and that is all they focus on. So good on you for caring about this poor girl, and yes her owners are just as responsible for her. I would do a four interview process if I ever had to rehome any of my pets and probably make the new owner sit a test :rofl:

Edited by jackie_a1

Unless the old owner has transferred ownership, the new owner cannot LEGALLY rehome the dog.

The old owner sounds like a real idiot I'm afraid - advertising an undesexed dog that is far too old to be bred, encouraging people to do just that and then thinks, oh, perhaps that wasn't a good idea? Too late then.

YOu could buy the dog, get the old owner to transfer ownership to you or a rescue group and organise the desexing before the dog leaves your hands. Perhaps the old owner would pay for that if you had to pay to get the dog away from the new owner?

Well I got an email from Gumtree this morning telling me they had removed my ad because it was "fraudulent"......I never had an ad on Gumtree......so maybe there's a problem with the site atm?? I haven't seen my "ad" and I have no idea whether or not they have used my dogs or anything? :happydance2:

Well I got an email from Gumtree this morning telling me they had removed my ad because it was "fraudulent"......I never had an ad on Gumtree......so maybe there's a problem with the site atm?? I haven't seen my "ad" and I have no idea whether or not they have used my dogs or anything? :happydance2:

That's odd t-time

Maybe try writing to Gumtree and see what's going on. I can't say I like that site. Listing on there is free and as you can imagine it breeds (excuse the pun) all sorts.

No luck with the Irish Setter Rescue. The original owner (who informed me it was actually her fathers dog who could no longer care for her) stated she would get a friend of hers to show interest and obtain the address. So frustrating. So much going on ATM with Uni and work but can't wash my hands of this just yet.

Thanks all

I saw this Irish Setter a while ago, and noticed that it was listed again, I have to admit I thought it was the same person advertising her all along. Thank you for taking the time to check. I messaged the poster last time but no reply. I hope this poor girl gets into rescue, I'd take her here but don't think we can handle another dog at the moment, even temporarily.

the dog could well still be with the original owner who is trying different ways to offload her :happydance2:

perhaps you could just email her rescue groups contact, in case she "gets the dog back", so she doesn't have to admit she still has it?

Hey Mel,

Sometimes people don't supply their emails so people are forced to contact them directly so they can 'weed' out the serious buyers. Your best option is either calling the number or messaging the number asking for an email address as it would be easier for you to contact them on it.

hey Jackie

They'd definitely supplied an email because it worked when I put my mobile number in the 'message' section like it kept asking me to!!! So it just sent them my mobile number, so then I tried again with the message but no, it wouldnt work!

They actually called me last night and I missed it, so they emailed my normal email anyway, and I replied. Hopefully they listen!

Well I thought I would update everyone on the beautiful Irish Setter listed repeatedly on Gumtree. After contacting a few people she has finally been rehomed to a lovely couple. They were on a waiting list to buy an Irish Setter puppy but decided to take her on the advice of one of the breeders I contacted. I am so relieved!

A big warm thank you to Jenny from Windseeker for all your help in finding her the right home

Charlotte

People take free dogs and selling them for a profit is a frequent occurrence on gumtree. Good to hear the girl ended up in a good home.

Off topic and out of date...this though, was my favourite ad of all...

OUR GIRL IS LOOKING FOR A MAN! We have an Alaskan Malemute female whom we adore, but she needs a man!....

We would like a companion/mate for her, so if you have a male Alaskan Malemute, a handsome fellow looking for love & are unable to keep for some reason, we have his new home all ready for him! He must not be desexed however & would prefer either a mature male or at least 1 yr old.

We can offer an excellent loving home for the right man!! We know the breed & understand their needs, we are not breeders nor do we intend to be, but do not mind if nature takes it's course [we have had past experience with breeding so know what it entails & are responsible people].

Yeah right....why not just say that you want a dog for breeding :bottom:

Edited by spotty

That is why the original owner should have desexed her before rehoming.

Yep , end of story

Which is something we assert should happen yet doesn't happen often enough amongst registered breeders. The "mature dogs" pages right here on DOL are like a shopping extravaganza for puppy farmers and back yard breeders (not a DOL responsibility but a breeder responsibility). I was stupid enough to think that every breed specific rescue also desexed every dog before rehoming but unfortunately it's not the case. What will it take for some registered breeders to "get" it?

Edited by blacklabrador

And when they google you it will bring this up in the results.

Yay to everyone involved in helping this lovely girl.

Boo to the old owner and the new owner - whoever they/she/he were/was. LOL I am curious about whether they were one and the same person as someone suggested. Seems a bit convoluted but people can be wierd.