Behaviour Of Staff And Their Dogs At A Pet Store

So I took Mr Riddick (5 month lab puppy) to a pet store today (One that doesn't sell animals). I'm exposing him to every situation I can think of :)!

I walked in, and was strolling around, letting him sniff about. I started heading towards the freezer section, when one of the staff members says casually "Oh don't go near there, shes on heat and doesn't like other dogs." I look around and see that the "she" being spoken of is a large staffy cross, sitting on a tucked away bed next to the freezer. She spots Riddick, starts growling, then rushes at him. I pulled Riddick behind me, (he basically shrugged at the whole situation, :D for my chilled out puppy ) and was stopped by her very long lead (consisting of 3 or so lead tied togethor). The staff member walks out and yells at the dog "Grr No!! On your bed!!" Dog slinks back to her bed.

I was pretty much shocked and didn't really react. I didn't expect to walk into a pet store and have another dog, Owned by a staff member no less, to try and attack my puppy! Just thankful I wasn't closer. I walked off down a aisle, Riddick trotting along with me, investigating things. Thankfully having no reaction to being rushed by another dog.

A couple minutes later the same staff member approached me to say "Oh she is on heat, shes normally not that bitchy". I asked "Oh are you a professional breeder?"(wondering why this dog isn't desexed), staff member replies "Oh shes not mine, she belongs to another girl" and walks off.

I had a conversation with a friend who works at the store, dog belongs to another staff member who breeds from her.

We where chatting when the staff member in question walked up, She bent down to say hi to Riddick who walked up to her doing his body-wag thing (again :( at my puppy who used to run away, approaching a stranger!).

She then says "What is he?"

Me: "A labrador"

Her" oh, is he purebred?"

Me. "Uhm, yes."

Her."oh, you sure? Labs don't usually act this way."

Me. "Well hes from guide dogs lines, they're supposed to act that way"

Her."oh ok, you sure?"

Me."YES!" sheesh

I found this kind of offensive to be honest. She was questioning my dogs breeding, in a fairly insulting manner.(Or that is how it came across at least.) She then bitched about how she hated labaradors, even though mine was "ok". I just left after that. Fairly pissed off about the whole situation. A staff member insulting one of my favourite breeds, and who breeds her cross dog for god knows what reason.

I want to complain to the company about them having a aggressive dog in store who was on heat, and could quite possibly have bitten my puppy! And maybe add something about promoting backyard breeding.

Would it be over reacting to complain? Not happy with it at all. Don't want to go back to that pet store now!

I went in to a pet store at Glenelg the other day with my mother, her maltese x and Justice. The owners had their own maltese x in there (it can't have been pure bred due to a shocking under bite) and it was going off growling and trying to attack both my mum's dog and mine. They had to take the dog out of the shop and sit on the pavement with it until we left the store. Crazy.. why have a dog like that sitting at the counter by the door???

Good way to scare off customers :D

I went in to a pet store at Glenelg the other day with my mother, her maltese x and Justice. The owners had their own maltese x in there (it can't have been pure bred due to a shocking under bite) and it was going off growling and trying to attack both my mum's dog and mine. They had to take the dog out of the shop and sit on the pavement with it until we left the store. Crazy.. why have a dog like that sitting at the counter by the door???

I know that store... I don't go there for the same reason!

How rude, insulting you about your pup + a cranky dog in the store = find somewhere else to shop!!

Does anyone who lives in Melbourne go to Pets & the City? Wendy the proprietor and her Cocker Spaniels Georgie and Lilly are just awesome. I visit when I go to Melbourne and have had all mine in the shop and the dogs are extremely well behaved and very welcoming!!

I would not go back there either, staff should not be creating uncomfortable situations for their customers. I quite often take Winnie to work but for one she is behind a locked counter area and she absolutely loves everybody. The only time she comes out to mingle with other customers dogs is if the customer asks :( If she even so much as growled at someone she would no longer be allowed at work full stop.. I actually have customers come in now just to see Winnie :D

I recently complained about some staff at my local pet store that doesnt sell pets, the complaint was actually about the store manager, Id taken Lexis crate back because even though it was only a few months old and had only ever been inside it was starting to rust. Firstly the woman gave me hell trying to look up the receipt (I kept it, just wasnt able to find it, but it was purchased using their rewards system) she kept insisting that I must have bought the crate at a different store because my transaction wasnt there, well long story short it was.

A few days later I came back with the crate and the receipt, she told me the rep would be in within the next two weeks and he will have to look at it before they can replace it, yeah fine, whatever. 4 weeks later Ive heard nothing, I ring the store and find that the woman is on holidays, they put me through to another guy who gets my story and says "Oh yeah I think thats out the back" I said "Oh nice to know she hasnt done a thing about getting it fixed" he says he will look into it and call me back, I give him my details. Two days later after no phone call I ring again, the guy is away but Im put through to another girl who was lovely, she got my number again and promised to ring me back, within half an hour she had rang me and said to come in and pick up a replacement. This girl received a compliment in my letter, the other two both got complaints. The last girl told me that the rep for that company hadnt been in for months and wasnt expected in the foreseeable future, she also confessed that her boss was full of sh*t

Id complain about it, too bad if someone wasnt watching what was going on at that end of the store and the dog did attack someone, or what if someone comes in with an older but still entire pup? thats not on, if she must bring it to work crate it out the back

Personally I would complain - even if I didn't think the store would give a care, I would know I had stood up for my beliefs. It doesn't have to be an attack on the staff member or store.

I recently reported a suspect trading post ad to both the trading post (it was false advertising) and the RSPCA. I umm'd and ahh'd over it but finally decided to take the plunge. I got no response from either but I felt better knowing that I had at least tried. :D

:( Im starting to see why I cant get a job at any petshop/centre I apply at... Im obviously just too smart.

I proably woudlnt go back either...given the quality of the staff. And as for the rushing dog.... what was to stop her from getting "bitchy" at a child? or a person? why just a dog? Id almost be tempted to repost an unregistered dog to the council.. just to be annoying for that. Least she might not keep it in the shop where its dangerous.

:D Cudos for your puppehs Cool az a Cucumber attitude. and... Are labradors surposed to act like that :) dumbest question I ever heard. :)

Well - I must say it was lovely to meet Riddick today lovemesideways!!! He's beautiful. I was wondering why you were praising him for letting me pat him (even though I was naughty and didn't ask!!! :( I just can't help myself sometimes!! )

While the staffy girl was lovely and friendly when I patted her - I was very surprised when the woman behind the counter said she was on heat and didn't like other dogs at the moment :D I didn't bother saying anything to the woman as I was in a rush and having being involved in rescue for the past 5 years, I have given up on stupid people! You just can't talk sense to some people.

I won't be hurrying back to that pet store any time soon.

You should complain. If it's the kind of pet store which allows you to take your dog into the store with you, then your dog should not be at risk of being rushed at by the store mascot!

:D Im starting to see why I cant get a job at any petshop/centre I apply at... Im obviously just too smart.

too bad your not in Vic.. only smart people are hired at my store :(

Well - I must say it was lovely to meet Riddick today lovemesideways!!! He's beautiful. I was wondering why you were praising him for letting me pat him (even though I was naughty and didn't ask!!! ;) I just can't help myself sometimes!! )

While the staffy girl was lovely and friendly when I patted her - I was very surprised when the woman behind the counter said she was on heat and didn't like other dogs at the moment :D I didn't bother saying anything to the woman as I was in a rush and having being involved in rescue for the past 5 years, I have given up on stupid people! You just can't talk sense to some people.

I won't be hurrying back to that pet store any time soon.

You should complain. If it's the kind of pet store which allows you to take your dog into the store with you, then your dog should not be at risk of being rushed at by the store mascot!

:(:)

Was nice meeting you too! How funny! (glad my story isn't some kind of lie or you certainly could have caught me out! :))

Yes he used to duck and run if a stranger approached him, Not body-wag his way up to people like he did to you (is very proud of her boy :o!) Which is why he gets much praise and treats whenever he does it.

They encourage you to bring your dog, there's a set of scales to weigh them too.

I wonder where this store is? I'd like to go in a give them a good talking to, the dogmad way - don't aim to be popular, just educational. :):)

Love that motto ;)

:( I can PM you the store and location if you feel like strolling up. As long as you tell me when so I can listen in to your educational chat :D

:D :(

Was nice meeting you too! How funny! (glad my story isn't some kind of lie or you certainly could have caught me out! :))

Yes he used to duck and run if a stranger approached him, Not body-wag his way up to people like he did to you (is very proud of her boy :)!) Which is why he gets much praise and treats whenever he does it.

They encourage you to bring your dog, there's a set of scales to weigh them too.

Small world hey!! :o

Well, you should be proud of Riddick - he did great!!! I never would have picked him as a shy dog. I just thought he was a very well behaved boy considering he looked to be quite young! ;)

:(:)

Yes he used to duck and run if a stranger approached him, Not body-wag his way up to people like he did to you (is very proud of her boy ;)!) Which is why he gets much praise and treats whenever he does it.

Small world hey!! :cheer:

Well, you should be proud of Riddick - he did great!!! I never would have picked him as a shy dog. I just thought he was a very well behaved boy considering he looked to be quite young! :o

Yes hes only 5 months :o My baby boy. A lot of training has gone into making him that way so I love hearing you never would have picked him as a shy dog :D

Ooh yes please, next time I'm having a hormonal surge would be a great opportunity ....

Have PMed :)

:rolleyes: Im starting to see why I cant get a job at any petshop/centre I apply at... Im obviously just too smart.

I proably woudlnt go back either...given the quality of the staff. And as for the rushing dog.... what was to stop her from getting "bitchy" at a child? or a person? why just a dog? Id almost be tempted to repost an unregistered dog to the council.. just to be annoying for that. Least she might not keep it in the shop where its dangerous.

:thumbsup: Cudos for your puppehs Cool az a Cucumber attitude. and... Are labradors surposed to act like that :confused: dumbest question I ever heard. :laugh:

Sounds like you're doing a great job with your pup. And don't let the, 'are you sure that's a lab' comment get to you, people just accept and even expect dogs to be badly behaved. I have a doberman and just the other day, someone asked me what he was whilst they were patting him (and he was being his usual beautiful self I might add), and when I told them, they were like, oh aren't those the vicious dogs? :banghead: