English Foxhound

tdierikx

Hi all!

I met a really lovely dog yesterday and he was apparently an English Foxhound... looked like a tall and leggy Beagle to me. I looked up Google when I got home, and he looks exactly like the one in the pic below...

AmericanFoxhoundDaiseyBugStanding[1].jpg

Does anyone know much about these dogs - I'd love to know more about them...

T.

I've heard that customs are thinking of using some foxhounds.

They are a scent hound.

Being a little taller than a beagle the dogs don't have to jump as much which is kinder on joints.

Otherwise I really don't know anything about them.

My parents are part of a deer hunting crew that hunted with foxhounds until the laws in vic changed and now hunt with beagles. These dogs had no formal training so I can only really tell you about their personality which is lovely, they seem much the same as the hunting beagles (only the beagles are much slower), they love everyone, they are sweet and affectionate. Back in my parents old hunting albums there are so many photos of kids curled up asleep with the hunting foxhounds, which demonstates how sweet their personalities really are as they were kenneled pack dogs not family pets. They are strong, these hunting ones had incredible stamina, I remember being whipped with their tails and dragged along while trying to walk them back to camp. The few people I know who have them as pets have found them loving and affectionate but with a very big dose of whats in it for me training wise, but these dogs all came from hunting lines so I have no idea how different other lines might be.

Friends of mine had a pack of foxhounds (often about 30) back in the day when fox hunting was still allowed.

It was an amazing experience to walk in amongst them - big bold dogs but it was amazing how well all the dogs got along. The ones they had were of a heavier build than the photo you show but most of them were from old english lines. I had a few occassions to ride out with the pups when they took them for training runs. We didnt hunt for fox just a rider would travel out dragging a scent lure and then we would ride out about 15 minutes after.

They called them pups when they were about 10-14 months and it was so much fun watching the pups mill around but once the couple of experienced dogs took the scent then the pups were ready for action.

I don't think there are any packs of foxhounds around any more - if you get the chance to get one I'm sure you will be delighted with them.

Hi all!

I met a really lovely dog yesterday and he was apparently an English Foxhound... looked like a tall and leggy Beagle to me. I looked up Google when I got home, and he looks exactly like the one in the pic below...

AmericanFoxhoundDaiseyBugStanding[1].jpg

Does anyone know much about these dogs - I'd love to know more about them...

T.

I worked with the hound club in the Uk many years back they are the most adorable little critters so smoochy and these were kennel dogs, sorry not much help but I can vouch they were sweet natured dogs.

The AQIS are using them now as Fruit detectors and have done for the last year or so, they are taller than the Beagles.

Great photos. I've only seen a couple of foxhounds around shows, and they are very eye-catching dogs.

It's funny how Rupert looks all distinguished in those photos - until he lets his tongue hang out, or he goes for a zoomie and then you can see the clown inside! :)

Would you believe that the pound he found himself in had him listed as a Pointer?

Rupert is safe with rescue, but we haven't had a lot of luck tracking down his breeder. If we can't get hold of them, or they don't want him back, he will be desexed and looking for a new home.

Until then he will be getting plenty of attention and playtime with the volunteers and staff at the rescue... *grin*

T.