Of All The Cheaper Dry Dogfoods Which Is The Best?

Thank you! I'm in Birdwood so I doubt they would deliver up here but I am going to contact a few local fodder places and see if they do it, if not Bucket o Beef it will be. :laugh: Thanks!

I find it is quite readily available in the stock feed places. I know of a few in Gawler that have it if you go down that way.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Clover

I use Optimum in emergencies and like to have a bag just in case we run out of RAW. The only thing is it is not actually that cheap. I have used uncle albers and great barko before with no problems either.

We were on Supercoat and it was not the best for them... Then I tried Royal Canin and honestly there coats and poo's were not the best. So now I am on my first bag of Optimum and I must say they love it and there poo's are improving.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been feeding UA and GB for a couple of years now and no other product works as well for my dogs as these 2 . I am able to keep good condition on my energetic staffords and my rottweiler , they love it and there coats are amazing ! unfortunately now i have moved to WA i cant seem to find it here :hug: if someone in WA knows where i can get it please PM me ) so the trial and error begins again !!!! Does anybody feed the eagle pack dog food here ? if so how do you find it? is it good stuff ?

Well I have found the Uncle Albers to be great for my boy who I was feeding truckloads to keep weight on him. Highly recommend it! By far the best dry food of the cheaper ones, and contains less of the fillers etc.

My girl doesn't like it though. Waiting for the GB to come into stock to try that.

I've won a few bag of Dog Pro at yard dog trials (they often sponsor trials in Victoria.) I've mixed this with Eagle Pack and my dogs have kept their condition and shiny coats with no differences that I have noticed.

Well, it has been great to read all your replies.

My boy is nearly at the end of the Pedigree Natural that I bought last time, before that it was Supercoat.

I think we can do better than the Pedigree although I must say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

It didn't aggrevate his allergies and the poos were OK.

I am hoping for better though so this weekend I will try to buy Great Barko or Uncle Albers.

The rep contacted me and I think I can buy it locally now.

If not, I will try Optimum on my boy the 'vacuum cleaner'!!

I feed Uncle Albers ($27 / 22kg) and I find it to be very good. Nice shiny coats and lot less poos.

+1

+2

Another Uncle Albers and Great Barko fan here. My staffords' coats have never looked better since starting on this kibble.

Where abouts in Canberra do you get it? I've never seen it anywhere?

A few posts on Uncle Albers here. Has anybody else noticed that it seems to be different? The bag I have just bought seems much drier than before, and lighter in colour. I'm not particularly impressed because I have been happy with this food for so long now.

Add me to the list.

Uncle Albers/Great Barko are the only things that keep weight on my greyhound in colder weather. The Staffords which are fed it (some have other stuff instead) are shiny and sleek looking and the American Cockers had great coats on it as well.

And I also recently found out that a lot of the local greyhound trainers feed their race/breeding dogs on it.

Where abouts do you buy this brand from? Is it a pet shop line? I feed my Cavs on Royal Canin breed specific but between 4 of them it is a little exy if you no what I mean :) Rule of kibble/dry food is that the first ingredient on the back of the pack should be a meat or meat by product. My DH did hours of research online and discovered this little tip. Anything other than that usually use a wheat product as their main ingredient and that can be bad for your dogs skin, it can cause allergies :) We feed our bigger dogs Supercoat as it has a meat product as its first ingredient. But be aware that a dog food company can change their ingredients and not have to update their packaging for up to 6 months!!! :(

Just a question that perhaps someone with a bigger dog may be able to help me with...

If opting to feed a 'cheaper' brand of dog food (ie. perhaps one available at a supermarket) over a 'premium' brand, do you need to feed more for each meal? And if so, does it really work out to be cheaper?

Just a question that perhaps someone with a bigger dog may be able to help me with...

If opting to feed a 'cheaper' brand of dog food (ie. perhaps one available at a supermarket) over a 'premium' brand, do you need to feed more for each meal? And if so, does it really work out to be cheaper?

I have been told that if you feed a premium brand than no you don't feed them as much. Some people are under the impression that big dogs need big meals, this is not necessarily true. We have a Dogue De Bordeaux and he gets about 600gr of minced chicken carcus(from Leonards) and about 3 cups of Supercoat a night. That is all we feed him. He is not fat nor is he thin and he weighs about 65 kgs :( He does get raw chicken carcusses once a week and occasionally we will put a tin of sardines in his dinner as well. Now I know that this is not the case for all big dogs but most do not need big meals, it puts too much stress and strain on their joints and we all know that for big dogs or any dogs as a matter of fact is not a good thing :)

I found this to be the case, I was feeding 5 cups of optimum or supercoat and struggling to keep condition on my german shepherd. He now gets 2 cups of Hills... costwise it works out much cheaper I think like $15 a week versus $10.

Its very much on the individual dog though, I didn't have a high opinion of Hills but its working really well for him. The supermarket brands seem to go straight through him.

I use coprice in my boarding kennels. Most of the dogs are happy to eat it and don't seem too worried - poos seem fine and I have to say some dogs come in using a 'particular brand' who have horrendous poos but after a few days on the coprice they seem to be sorted out - There is a choice of either family dog or the working dog depending on the individual dog. Often owners change their dogs over when they see how well they do.

Another advantage the Australian Made and Owned - no colours, no preservatives.

Very much depends upon the food.

I feed MUCH less than recommended of either Uncle Albers or Great Barko to the greyhound and any of my others who are on it or they start looking like the Goodyear blimp pretty quickly. Other foods, I need to feed more so I end up spending more.

You won't necessarily know until you try it. Each dog's metabolism is different.

Add me to the list.

Uncle Albers/Great Barko are the only things that keep weight on my greyhound in colder weather. The Staffords which are fed it (some have other stuff instead) are shiny and sleek looking and the American Cockers had great coats on it as well.

And I also recently found out that a lot of the local greyhound trainers feed their race/breeding dogs on it.

Where abouts do you buy this brand from? Is it a pet shop line? I feed my Cavs on Royal Canin breed specific but between 4 of them it is a little exy if you no what I mean :o Rule of kibble/dry food is that the first ingredient on the back of the pack should be a meat or meat by product. My DH did hours of research online and discovered this little tip. Anything other than that usually use a wheat product as their main ingredient and that can be bad for your dogs skin, it can cause allergies :rofl: We feed our bigger dogs Supercoat as it has a meat product as its first ingredient. But be aware that a dog food company can change their ingredients and not have to update their packaging for up to 6 months!!! :laugh:

Many produce stores have it. You could also contact Laucke Mills in SA (the manufacturer) and ask them for stockist information.