Worst Excuses For Re-homing Or Surrendering A Pet

PeiPei

Guest Tess32

What about rehoming failed obedience, agility or show prospects to make room for a more successful dog? Is THAT ok?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I could do it. The one time our family had issues with our dog I was very young (not even in school). She was storm phobic and had bitten me. My dad manned up and took her in to have her PTS and stayed with her while it was done. I still remember the day she 'went to the farm' the whole family was crying so much, I still feel upset to think of it.

It was such a traumatic event for everyone, it boggles my mind to think how people could just leave a dog because it was easier/ they were bored of it. :(

some people will find any excuse to make themselves feel better about dumping their pets. Others delude themselves their untrained mutt will simply find a home because its so cute, like the other thousands at pounds who all end up euthenised. THe ones that dump pups then keep the entire parents are the doozys (and for cats too). Dont worry I'm related to serial dumpers, as soon as it outgrows its usefulness, cuteness or it doesnt train itself to be the perfect dog out it goes. God forbid one makes an effort.

Responsibly rehoming is different to surrendering/dumping.

As long as the breeder/exhibitor/trialler finds excellent companion homes which are equal to or better than what they can provide in terms of companionship and comfort then I have no significant problem with rehoming dogs who turned out not to be suited for the competitive pursuit they were obtained for. Mine are mine for life, but that's my thing.

I do have a problem when large numbers of "failures" are dumped at vets with rubbish stories about them being aggressive, or rehomed to the first random who shows a vague interest and then wind up in rescue, etc.

I also have a problem when people don't give the dog reasonable opportunities to succeed - including being patient about the fact that some breeds take a couple of years before they really hit their stride.

Responsibly rehoming is different to surrendering/dumping.

As long as the breeder/exhibitor/trialler finds excellent companion homes which are equal to or better than what they can provide in terms of companionship and comfort then I have no significant problem with rehoming dogs who turned out not to be suited for the competitive pursuit they were obtained for. Mine are mine for life, but that's my thing.

I do have a problem when large numbers of "failures" are dumped at vets with rubbish stories about them being aggressive, or rehomed to the first random who shows a vague interest and then wind up in rescue, etc.

I also have a problem when people don't give the dog reasonable opportunities to succeed - including being patient about the fact that some breeds take a couple of years before they really hit their stride.

Well said

my OH and I recently did our wills, and included the 'custody' arrangements if (god forbid) something was to happen to both of us and we died.

haVe already made arrangements for their care as well as including a hefty sum allocated for their care from our estate.

people think we are nuts, but I feel more secure knowing they would be loved and cared for.

I have done the same. It makes perfect sense. If you love your animals you want to know that they will be cared for if your not around.

I had to visit 3 lawyers, to find one who would write the will the way I wanted it to be written.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't even have wills, and never think of what would happen if....

I sleep better at night knowing that the people and animals I love will be looked after the way they deserve to be if I die.

I'd hate to think my pets could end up on the RSPCA/Animal Welfare Leagues chopping block.

I heard a terrible story about how healthy young ex- racing greyhounds, that don't make the grade are taken to vets and slowly drained of all their blood.

Apparently the greyhound owner gets $50 per dog for doing this.

I was so upset about it that I googled it to find out if it was true and why greyhounds.

I found out that apparently greyhounds have a special type of blood that can be used for a few different doggie blood types.

And Yes, its true...How shameful...This is where I think people who rescue greyhounds deserve an extra pat on the back.

Also all the dog parts/skeletons in our biology lab were greyhounds. Ask vet students which dogs they perform autopsies on. :rofl:

Why do they single out the one particular breed? I understand there blood is different, but is there something special about their skeletons...

Surely the draining of blood is classified as some type of abuse?

Edited by Gilypoo

Also all the dog parts/skeletons in our biology lab were greyhounds. Ask vet students which dogs they perform autopsies on. :(

Why do they single out the one particular breed? I understand there blood is different, but is there something special about their skeletons...

I don't know about the blood but for anatomical study purposes what other kind of dog would people gladly surrender over en mass? :rofl: Same with OTT TB's and STB's becoming dog food.

Also all the dog parts/skeletons in our biology lab were greyhounds. Ask vet students which dogs they perform autopsies on. :rofl:

There's plenty of greyhounds that no one wants.

The draining of the blood is destressing to hear about, but when you consider the dog is going to be PTS anyway, and how other peoples pets could benefit by having blood on hand in case of emergencies - I'm not against it. The dogs are sedated and don't wake up, they're not aware of what is happening to them or suffer.

Also all the dog parts/skeletons in our biology lab were greyhounds. Ask vet students which dogs they perform autopsies on. :)

I don't know about the blood but for anatomical study purposes what other kind of dog would people gladly surrender over en mass? :( Same with OTT TB's and STB's becoming dog food.

What's OTT TB's and STB's :rofl::)

There's plenty of greyhounds that no one wants.

The draining of the blood is destressing to hear about, but when you consider the dog is going to be PTS anyway, and how other peoples pets could benefit by having blood on hand in case of emergencies - I'm not against it. The dogs are sedated and don't wake up, they're not aware of what is happening to them or suffer.

I think it's the numbers that's distressing as well. A vet nurse friend started a job at a clinic where this is done, upto 3-5 times a day. She lasted 2 days.

Also all the dog parts/skeletons in our biology lab were greyhounds. Ask vet students which dogs they perform autopsies on. :p

I don't know about the blood but for anatomical study purposes what other kind of dog would people gladly surrender over en mass? :( Same with OTT TB's and STB's becoming dog food.

SOrry :) Ex racehorses and ex harness racehorses. Race breeders can be a pretty ruthless lot.

Also all the dog parts/skeletons in our biology lab were greyhounds. Ask vet students which dogs they perform autopsies on. :p

SOrry :) Ex racehorses and ex harness racehorses. Race breeders can be a pretty ruthless lot.

I went to the greyhounds during winter and watched a race and one of the dogs cramped while running.. The poor little bugger just stopped and couldnt move. It was a little funny to watch until the trainer/ owner walked out onto the track and picked him up.. He was livid. I feel sorry for the dog..

The other day we had an dear old boy surrendered over to us.

Reason.. "we are going on holidays for 3 weeks"

We asked why don't you just board the dog or get a friend or family member to care for your dog while your gone..

She said "That would be too expensive and too much effort for someone"

We then asked what they would do when they get back.. they said "oh we will probably get a new puppy"

:rofl:

Poor old boy, about 7years old ends up in a shelter because it is too much effort to get him looked after for 3 weeks and they are already thinking of replacing him when they get back.

Some people make me so angry/sad/upset/hurt/frustrated!

Edited by MavericksMission

Also all the dog parts/skeletons in our biology lab were greyhounds. Ask vet students which dogs they perform autopsies on. :D

I don't know about the blood but for anatomical study purposes what other kind of dog would people gladly surrender over en mass? :laugh: Same with OTT TB's and STB's becoming dog food.

& human food don't forget.

One thing that was interesting I spoke to a UQ vet who had done a study about student attitudes towards the use of pound dogs and greyhounds in uni vet labs and she found that attitudes changed throughout the course and some people were quite agressive about what they saw as her study perhaps threatening their supply of dogs (her study asked if they would prefer to use donated cadavers), many people were adamant that greys are useful for the musculoskeletal pracs because of their well defined musculature and lean frames. It is interesting to note that there are many universities throughout the world that use donated cadavers quite successfully in their programs.

:(

My brother was doing vet science and disected alot of greys. Apparentley it was because there are so many of them but the lecturers also said if anyone wanted to give an ex racer a home to let them know as they would also be happy to see some have a happier ending.