Whippets

atua

Hi there,

After much thought my partner and I are currently in the process of deciding whether to get a whippet for our soon to be 10 year old son to learn the show ropes with. This dog will solely be his dog, with our help. He is a very responsible 9 year old boy whom has been saving and buying things for his new dog when he gets it.

I dont have much knowledge on whippets and would like to find out as much as possible on them.

We have secure fencing, often participate in lure coursing. My son has a avid interest in agility and also does dog obedience.

From what I have found on the internet whippets seem to be very fun loving dogs with their family members but wary of strangers.

So if any one on here at all has any experience with whippets would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by atua

I've currently got 5 and I've had whippets since 1985. There's a few different personality types, some are quite outgoing and some are reserved. I've got some of both. One of my boys is a bit of a bully with timid dogs and if given the chance, will try to make them run so he can chase them. I have to be careful with him these days to make sure he cant do it. He himself is the biggest coward though and easily gets frightend of dogs chasing him. Both he, his brother and mum all love people. My little blue girls only love people they already know.

Generally they are very loving gentle dogs with people.

If brought up with cats from the time they are puppies they are usually OK but my current ones would kill a cat, I have no doubt.

One thing all whippets hate is cold. If you believe dogs should sleep outside, dont get a whippet, unless of course you have a really good warm set up in kennels but even then, they like to be with you so they'd fret outside on their own.

When you go lure coursing are there whippets there? If so talk to their owners and see what they say about them.

Edited by Kirislin

My friend has a whippet who is the biggest clown. She has rung so many times with stories of what he's been up to this time! :rofl: I've lost track of the number of times he has helped himself to things she never thought he could get to. He is a lovely boy. It's wonderful to watch him having a run. Sighthounds in full flight are magical! I've made him a coat this week cause he will not stay out of her bed during the day since it's gotten cold. She is hoping he will leave the bed nicely made now but I've not had a report yet :( Training has been a bit of a challenge with him. She is very experienced and trained dogs to high levels and she had hoped to trial him but he really doesn't enjoy it.

Oh yes, they're notorious counter surfers, the tall ones will just stand on their hind legs but the littler ones will just float up onto the counter and walk around helping themselves. Both Feather and Kibah do this if I go out and forget to lock them out of the kitchen. They've broken a number of glasses and plates like this which is always a worry when they jump onto the floor. So far mine haven't cut themselves.

Thank you very much for the replies I really appreciate it. There are people with Whippets at Lure Coursing but the whole Whippet thing has only just came up recently and we have lure coursing this weekend so I cant wait to go and talk to owners.

Sounds like Whippets can be clowns as well.

So far so good. Keep them coming please :rofl:

Where's Poodlefan when you need her???

I haven't had them myself but have considered it as we have kids and they are a more menageable size for kids to handle than my breed (borzoi).

I think they're lovely dogs.

I think they are a great kids dog BUT for showing they are a table breed.

I think some 10 year olds might struggle to get a full grown Whippet on and off the table safely. How big is your son?

As a pet, choose an outgoing pup, get it out and about and train it and you'll have a great companion for your son. They do have prey drive that needs to be managed but I think your entire family would enjoy having one about.

Not the breed to keep outside though. The usual way of spotting the most comfortable spot in a room is to look where the Whippet is. :laugh:

Not the breed to keep outside though. The usual way of spotting the most comfortable spot in a room is to look where the Whippet is. :laugh:

Agreed! Mine will even manage to weasel her way in closer to the heater than the greyhounds, and that is saying something! Ari is my first whippet (after owning and fostering greyhounds for about 5 years) and she is adorable. She is very friendly and quite affectionate with the family, but rather aloof with people she doesn't know. She is playful and mischievious, and a bossy little so-and-so, she rules the other dogs even though she is the youngest and smallest. With other dogs she can take a bit of time to warm up to them, she is not immediately playful, but once she gets to know them she does like to play.

Hope that helps :D

Ive done a bit of (just 4 fun) LC with my girl. Its just amazing to watch. I didn't teach her anything, she just dis it from the first go.

We have done obedience also, successfully, but very unsuccessfully when cold or wet. She is a very outgoing girl and bosses my W-GSD bitch. She spent around 3 minutes outside today, maybe 6 the day before the rest of the time she is on a heating duct, buried in the W-GSD or in front of the Rinnai. She wears a very thick weatherbeeta rug permanently but as it seems, its not god enough!!!

She gets a free run for a good 45 minutes 3 times a week in the cold months and daily walks in the warmer months. She does not have any seperation issues even when she was a single dog and easily accepts changes in routine. Shes an arse with sneaking and often checks to see if you are looking before the steal. She is my 4 year old daughters pride and joy and is excellent with the newborn and 2 year old. She is 3.5 years old now.

ETA she was a very painful, painful pup and enjoyed pulling my ancient goldies (RIP Eliiot) tail almost out of his arse. A good squirt with water hit that on the head after a few weeks.

Edited by Chewbacca

I have two and I have to say I researched a lot and they are better than I thought they would be.

Mine have been brought up around cats and many other creatures ( and no GUinea pigs were eaten one day when I had a mum and 3 babies racing around out of their house) and are good with all, but I have trained this since day dot. Mine also have a really good recall but again it has been trained since day dot and is"trained" all the time.

I do clicker training with mine and they love it. They are not a breed you could train using a negative method as they just wouldn't cope.

I find them really easy to train, but Lewis will train all the time, Rommi is not that into it. She is a train, every three days, kind of dog and won't really push. After a period of time she has had enough. Lewis will train for an hour and want more.

I have young kids - my youngest was 5 months when I got Rommi - and the dogs are very very good with them, having said that the kids are not allowed to get away with annoying the dogs or being rough with them.

My Whippets are lap tarts and love everyone and will sit on anyones lap - unless mine is vacant. They are my dogs first and foremost, the are one step behind me and will listen to me over anyone else, but will cuddle with anyone - strangers or known.

They are extremely good to have in the house, are not smelly dogs, don't need frequent baths - mine get done every few months or so. They don't drop a heap of hair, but do shed some. I go over mine with a zoom groom regularly so don't see much on furniture or the floor.

Lewis is not a large Whippet by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think a 9 to 10 year old may have a problem lifting him onto the table while showing. I don't think lifting my bitch would be a problem though.

My OH is completely smitten by them and they are great dogs and we will now always have at least one Whippet on our lounge.

Oh and they do need protection from cold and really hot days - so be prepared to buy coats for them in winter because even if they are in the warmest place in the house, they will still tell you thay are too cold and need a coat on.

My son is 10 years old and he just adores Yogi Whippet and finds him easy to walk on the leash, great dogs for children, as long as children are gentle and dont take advantage of the Whippets gentle nature.

I dont worry too much about rugging Yogi in winter as I find he doesn't get out of bed :(

post-28340-1275603624_thumb.jpg

My son is 10 years old and he just adores Yogi Whippet and finds him easy to walk on the leash, great dogs for children, as long as children are gentle and dont take advantage of the Whippets gentle nature.

I dont worry too much about rugging Yogi in winter as I find he doesn't get out of bed :(

post-28340-1275603624_thumb.jpg

Yes, worded perfectly.

Hi,

Being an breeder and owner of whippets for more years than I care to mention All the above posts are correct.

A whippet is what you make it, the same as any other dog. They are wonderful companions for all.

As previously said they are not good about cold weather and prefer to be cuddled up in bed with you.

Some are totally quiet and others quite active. They can be as all pups great chewers. Love to play and chase the ball any other object that may be held.

As they are sight hounds be prepared for them to run and chase and if they can catch it often they will kill it. (rabbits, hares, wallaby and yes the cat to).

The more training the better especially re call. Most are food orientated so training can be easy.

If you want to show, watch the ears as the should be rose shaped for the ring.

Good luck in finding the right Whippet for your son. :(

Oakway Whippets.

Thank you very much to everyone for their replies. We have found a breeder and a puppy that we will be getting for our son.

The puppy arrives in 3 weeks today. We are all very excited about adding a Whippet to our family.

I will post photo's of the puppy on here when I get home from work as I am working at the moment.

Thank you once again.

We were certain after all the things we have read on whippets that a whippet would be a great dog for our son and had already sussed a few breeders out.

And one of Rommi who is just so steady at working, never misses a beat.

Mine do well in obedience and agility and have recently started flyball which they love.

Can't wait to see pictures of your baby

post-23623-1275622495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Ok so here is a picture of the wee little girl. Her name is going to be Charlie.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a Whippet dog jumper from also please

post-30106-1275634308_thumb.jpg