Name Some Dog Myths

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people find out I have a purebred entire dog: You know if you breed it you will make loads of money! :laugh:

:D :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

if i ha 10c for everytime i hear tha i would be very well off and not need to work!!

What about "If you don't desex a male dog they will get cancer and DIE.."

but that ones true....!!!

No it's not. Not all dogs who are entire will get cancer (actually very few will), although they will all die.

I'm sure at uni a couple of years ago we covered the fact that dogs are somewhat omniverous, but for the life of me I can't even remember what subject it was under or I'd check out the lecture material. :laugh:

Is an animal that seeks out, consumes and digests non-animal foods omnivorous? That would be my understanding.

I'm sure at uni a couple of years ago we covered the fact that dogs are somewhat omniverous, but for the life of me I can't even remember what subject it was under or I'd check out the lecture material. :thumbsup:

Is an animal that seeks out, consumes and digests non-animal foods omnivorous? That would be my understanding.

Wiki is our friend:

Omnivores (from Latin: omni all, everything; vorare(infinitive) to devour) are species that eat both plants and animals as their primary food source. They are opportunistic, general feeders not specifically adapted to eat and digest either meat or plant material primarily

Don't trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

Only dogs with three hairs growing out of the freckle under their chin are any good as pets.

HAHAHA... That's way Lottie is such a HORRIBLE pet.... orange eyebrows and 4 hairs under her chin :thumbsup: :D ;)

Oh and not to mention i'll NEVER be able to tell when she's happy because she doesn't have a tail (or that a wagging tail means that the dog is happy).... ah there's more ways to show happiness!!!! ;)

Isn't there something about pugs and their eyes popping out?

If you hold a pug upside down their eyes will pop out.

wow I really should stop picking Bert up by his hind legs then! :D

;)

They way I heard it their eyes just fall out - ALL the time apparently... :thumbsup: Because they're soooo inbred and they're bred with such bulging eyes... But you can just rinse them off and pop them back in!

;)

Isn't there something about pugs and their eyes popping out?

If you hold a pug upside down their eyes will pop out.

wow I really should stop picking Bert up by his hind legs then! :D

;)

They way I heard it their eyes just fall out - ALL the time apparently... :thumbsup: Because they're soooo inbred and they're bred with such bulging eyes... But you can just rinse them off and pop them back in!

;)

So funny! :)

BIGTIME MYTH: You can't teach an old dog new tricks

mythbusters did a doggy special where they debunked this myth by getting a pair of alaskan malamutes from a shelter and training them :D!!! Theres some link on yotube for the episode

I'm really into Mythbusters, so thank you for the heads-up on this episode. I found it online here and enjoyed watching it very much! :thumbsup:

It was also worth watching for the program segments where the team attempted to elude a Bloodhound and a Guard Dog using classic "TV" or "Hollywood" techniques. A few surprises and very entertaining. Watching team members attempt to run around in those cumbersome bite-suits was very funny.

Oh - we SOOOO need a "razzberry" icon ;)

:thumbsup: or :D

Ahhh - I never thought of that one as a razzberry - if only we had sound with the emoticons!

I'm sure at uni a couple of years ago we covered the fact that dogs are somewhat omniverous, but for the life of me I can't even remember what subject it was under or I'd check out the lecture material. ;)

I always understood that when wild dogs kill an animal, usually a herbivore, they eat the stomach contents, which sort of makes them omnivorous

Tell that to the bitch I started Obedience Training at age 5 - we got up to a CD Tiltle!

When people find out I have a purebred entire dog: You know if you breed it you will make loads of money! :thumbsup:

:D ;) ;) :):eek::)

if i ha 10c for everytime i hear tha i would be very well off and not need to work!!

Darkrai - you & me both (I mean, it's not like there's any work or expense involved in raising a litter of puppies, is there?)

Tell that to the bitch I started Obedience Training at age 5 - we got up to a CD Tiltle!

I think the myth has more to do with humans really, don't you think? The older a human gets, the more ingrained certain notions and attitudes get. They'll hold fast to their precious belief systems no matter what evidence comes to light to prove otherwise. To question and re-evaluate one's beliefs is an affront to one's sense of pride and worth. The persistence of a lot of the myths in this message thread shows this facet of human nature.

Another bonding one, apparently if you blow up a puppy's nose it will bond with you really fast. My husband tried it once with a pup when we picked her up from the airport and until the day she died she absolutely hated anyone even breathing out near her.