It's Cold! Coats When Home Alone?

natamalie

Hey all,

My partner and I work full time so my boy Zander has to stay home outside during the day. He's a one year old Ridgeback. He has a kennel with plenty of warm blankets and a heat pad, as well as lots of shelter from the rain. I've been thinking lately that I should perhaps leave a coat on him when it gets *really* cold. Does anyone else leave coats on their dogs when they are home alone? I think I'd be a bit worried that he'd chew it, or perhaps get it caught on something and scare himself... what are other people's thoughts?

I live in Melbourne by the way... it's currently 9 degrees(ish)! :)

Thanks guys :)

Edited by natamalie

Normally I coat my dogs during the colder months if they have to be outside, which is when we are out only.

However, as one of my dogs is young, and he still has not grown out of chewing stage :rolleyes: , I cannot coat either of them for probably another year.

A couple of years ago we installed a infra red heater in the garage for them for these situations. The garage is solely the dogs area anyway, they have cosy beds in there, but it just takes off that chill and makes it warmer for them. The garage is fully insulated also, which helps a bit, but leaving the backyard door open for them to go out can allow it to get quite cold in there at times.

It is ceiling mounted so nice and safe.

Normally I coat my dogs during the colder months if they have to be outside, which is when we are out only.

However, as one of my dogs is young, and he still has not grown out of chewing stage :eek: , I cannot coat either of them for probably another year.

A couple of years ago we installed a infra red heater in the garage for them for these situations. The garage is solely the dogs area anyway, they have cosy beds in there, but it just takes off that chill and makes it warmer for them. The garage is fully insulated also, which helps a bit, but leaving the backyard door open for them to go out can allow it to get quite cold in there at times.

It is ceiling mounted so nice and safe.

Wow, that sounds like a brilliant setup! Lucky doggies!! :laugh:

I think I might try and leave a coat on Zander. I have a feeling he will try to chew it, but I don't mind potentially losing one or two coats if it means keeping him warm on the icy days. He has two weatherbeeta coats already, but I don't think they're secure enough to leave on, they tend to slip. I noticed some great links to a few websites that sell coats in another post so I think I might indulge in my favourite pass time and purchase a new doggy product! I spend more on him then my own wardrobe! :rolleyes:

My dogs outside have coats on if it is going to be a cold day (anything under 18 degrees). During the night the have 2 coats on, a warm fleecy coat and an outer water proof coat. During the day I take the fleecy coat off unless it is really cold.

Leanne

I DID have a coat on my boy overnight but he decided it could be AWESOME if he chewed the chest strap off.

He is a short coated pointer so does feel the cold. Any tips on keeping a dog from chewing. ( he is only 6 months old mind u so I'll prob just have to deal with it lol)

Ramses is 4yrs old and has only just started leaving his coat on overnight. At 6 months he just had to brave the cold, because he chewed his coat, his bed and would not use the kennel I had for him. Now at 4yrs old he has matured some what and is constantly in his kennel, with his coat on and his bed is intact. Such a relief now!!

The garage is fully insulated also, which helps a bit, but leaving the backyard door open for them to go out can allow it to get quite cold in there at times.

I do similar with my back door (not necessarily when I'm out). I've been thinking of getting those heavy plastic strip things (like fish and chip shops have) as I thought that might help to keep the warmth in and a bit of the cold out. Maybe it would work for your set up too?

Of course, there's always the doggy door option. I'm not going for that simply because I don't want a hole cut into my solid wood door.

I haven't coated my boy yet, but I've had no need to leave him locked out of my home on the really cold days. He's not quite used to being coated (I didn't coat him sooner for the same reason as you Dyzney) and I wouldn't trust him being left alone with it on. I put it on him the other day, and he didn't think he could move. For a minute I was wondering why he was stood stock still in the family room, even though I was wandering around the place.

I did used to coat my previous girl (bhcs) although there was one time when I came home to find that she'd managed to get her front leg caught up in and through the neck. She couldn't stand or walk in it. Don't know how long she'd been like that. But she was the sort of dog who would just wait until you came home, rather than panic about it. She loved the warmth from her coat, so even after that I did still coat her on the cold days when I had to leave (and even when I didn't).

Edited by Erny

I have coats on mine day or night if it is cold. During the day they are generally with me anyway. at night they are seperate, but right next to each other ( as Rommi can be bossy from time to time) so I don't worry too much about them getting caught on things.

My iggies ae coated 24/7 throughout winter. They also have an insulated carpeted very warm kennel for when im at work.

The golden and kelpie arent bothered by the cold, and all the dogs sleep in the heated house with me. If its going to be a bitterly cold day I just leave them inside for the day.

If we get rain during the day I come home from work and bring all the dogs inside.

I was told by a vet to remeber when putting a coat on your dog during winter that it will always be colder during night time, so if you do leave a coat on during the day, for the dog to be able to get warm at night you will have to put another coat on over the top because of the temperature changes.Does that make sense? lol

I was told by a vet to remeber when putting a coat on your dog during winter that it will always be colder during night time, so if you do leave a coat on during the day, for the dog to be able to get warm at night you will have to put another coat on over the top because of the temperature changes.Does that make sense? lol

That makes complete sense Sarah.

We did that with the horses, Always had them rugged to the hill at night but during the day only had the day rugs and winter rug and hood on.

I leave Oscars coat on during the day if it is raining or really cold. He generally has it on at night too depending on how cold it is as he sleeps in the house.

It does make perfect sense, however Zander is indoors next to my bed at night with a fleecy coat on and a blanket over him so he should be fine hopefully. (He usually manages to sneak up onto our bed in the wee small hours too! hehehe :rolleyes: )

Glad it makes sense lol :rolleyes: we do the same thing with our horses to :eek: wish my dog was allowed to be inside I always worry that she gets cold outside but she has lots of coats a kennel and a big doona to sleep on and she seems ok :laugh:

It's been absolutely freezing in Melbourne lately so I understand your concern! I think it's a good idea to just try having one on him while he's outside (maybe when someone is home to supervise) and see how that goes, but it should go fine :)