6 Or 12 Monthly Check Ups

Speaking with a Vet recently we got onto talking about checkups, they recommend 6 monthly ones.

It got me thinking, how many people actually do this?!

I thought especially of DOLers that don't all necessarily go along with the yearly vaccination recommendations....do you still take your dog for regular check ups, even if nothing seems wrong?

And if you do, how often do you go?

ETA: Spelling!!

Edited by Aussie3

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We go in for annual checkups. Sometimes more often if there are any minor concerns. We do annual vaccinations anyway, but even if we didn't we would take them in at least yearly for a checkup.

Mine are there pretty regularly for other things (acupuncture for one, renal failure check-ups for the other) so the vet doesn't see them for an annual checkup. We also titre test yearly... so they do the checkup at that point.

pups go in to visit at 6months and again at 12months, then not again for another 12months unless needed.

mature are only every 12months unless needed otherwise.

I am in constant reach of my vet and will call him should i have any questions or want an opinion on something dog. :)

Thanks for the responses guys, it's interesting to see the differences between people

If you learn yourself how to do a basic exam and you know what is normal you can by pass the vet visit as long as if you do pick something up which is out of whack you take em off for a check up.

I don't vaccinate anything past its first year booster - which I give them myself.

Thanks for the responses guys, it's interesting to see the differences between people

If you learn yourself how to do a basic exam and you know what is normal you can by pass the vet visit as long as if you do pick something up which is out of whack you take em off for a check up.

I don't vaccinate anything past its first year booster - which I give them myself.

This was the recomendation from my girls breeder, they don't vaccinate past the 12 month booster.

I have never taken one of my pets to the vet just for a basic health check, the only reason they will go is if they are unwell. My 16yo see's the vet now maybe every 2 months for medication renewal (for cancer) but before that she went to the vet yearly for her vaccine and that's it.

No, I don't take healthy dogs to the vet.

I have a seven year old dog and bitch here that have only seen the vet for their puppy vaccinations.

I also have a daughter of the above bitch that has only seen a vet for puppy vaccinations.

This was the recomendation from my girls breeder, they don't vaccinate past the 12 month booster.

Sorry for the hijack, but am i right in assuming that after they get a vaccination at 1 year old, they don't need another vacc for the rest of their life? If so, how many people here does it?

Edited by luffy4688

Nope, I don't either. I can tell what is normal with them and what isn't, and do a full body check over once a week when I do the full groom for any sore spots or unusual lumps and bumps. Then I take it from there.

They are both young, clearly healthy and fit so don't see any need to take them only too be told that, when they are older obviously more vet visits if it's required.

Sorry for the hijack, but am i right in assuming that after they get a vaccination at 1 year old, they don't need another vacc for the rest of their life? If so, how many people here does it?

Everybody that's well informed about vaccinations I would say.

The six montly check up is more for pet owners who quite often are not awear completely of thier pets health. At these checkups the vet can ensure that the animal is not overweight (well more vets need to be more honest and more owners need to be reaslistic!!), check for any lumps that may indicate cancer, skin problems that the owner is not aware of, dental issues- so that they can all be caught early so that they can be treated or prevented.

So i guess that means that the 6mth check up is not REALLY aimed at DOLers who on average would be grooming/feeling their dog regularly, be awear of their generalhealth etc. I think it has alot of potential in the profession becoming more about disease prevention rather than just treatment!!

Mine dont go 6mthly as I am a vet student and all of my dogs have to suffer regular physical exams, and neuro exams and any other exam you can do on a healthy animal lol!!

I don't take mine for check up's. The only time I've taken a healthy dog to the vet is when I needed a vet cert to enter an endurance test.

If your dogs are part of your family life and you bath/groom them regularly, feed them a decent diet and exercise them regularly, anything untoward will be very noticebale to you before it gets out of hand.