Deleted

Kazzie

I'm sorry I started this thread. I'm sorry I've got so many people upset. I didn't see the point in becoming a registered breeder to breed one litter of pups where both parents are pedigree, health checked (maybe no to your standards, but still health checked), happy and healthy. Clearly I've done the wrong thing and I apologise. I won't be doing it again. Yes I truly did believe I could register the litter because both parents were registered. Clearly I was wrong.

The reason health checking is done to the standards that they are, is to try to prevent the heartbreaking scenario of pups having horrible diseases like hip displasia.

So by not doing all the proper tests, not only do you risk breeding more dogs with the disease, you may be legally liable if the new owner starts to get unhappy about the cost of treatment, because you did nothing to test the dogs for hip displasia, when very specific tests are available.

There is nothing stopping you getting both parents dogs hip scored now. Will you be doing that? Or will the pup buyers just have to take a punt?

Edited by Greytmate

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kazzie - I can understand you're probably really off DOL, but truly, you should stick around. I've been Vet Nursing for 5years and I truly contribute atleast half my knowledge from DOL. There are people on this forum who are just massive balls of knowledge who can provide you with information and help that many vets wouldn't know, particularly when it comes to whelping and raising litters.

Don't ask for this post to be deleted - it may not be the most pleasant for you, but there's information for others on hip and elbow scoring, PRA etc, so leaving it open may mean that someone else considering breeding may read and take into account.

So stay around, join the breed subforums and keep reading. It's really a great place under all the bitchiness!

Actually I dont agree with making it easier for them either but over the last 6 years Ive been able to discourage a fair few away from BYB and bring them into breeding ethically and registered and Ive also disuaded several others from breeding at all - without flogging them.

The OP was flogged as soon as she posted that she wanted to get cheaper neckbands for her puppies. That was before she said she wasn't a registered breeder. Flogging is the prime DOL sport for some people.

To the OP:

Yes, you should be a registered breeder. If you want to do this again, see if you can find a mentor in your breed and learn about genetics, health testing and the best way to go about breeding registered dogs. Good luck.

Actually I dont agree with making it easier for them either but over the last 6 years Ive been able to discourage a fair few away from BYB and bring them into breeding ethically and registered and Ive also disuaded several others from breeding at all - without flogging them.

The OP was flogged as soon as she posted that she wanted to get cheaper neckbands for her puppies. That was before she said she wasn't a registered breeder. Flogging is the prime DOL sport for some people.

To the OP:

Yes, you should be a registered breeder. If you want to do this again, see if you can find a mentor in your breed and learn about genetics, health testing and the best way to go about breeding registered dogs. Good luck.

Yes. A business that sponsors this site was bagged, unfairly in my view, because I have done a comparison on Whelping Supplies, and believe it to be fair value for money.

Because this is a discussion forum and not a soap box, I felt the need to put forward my view. Ok with everyone else?

I can assure you all that none of my puppies will ever end up in a pound. They will all be microchipped with myself as a second contact so that if anything ever went wrong they would end up back with me.

Also all the new owners will be signing a contract agreeing to have the dogs desexed at 6 months of age. Besides that, all the puppies are going to friends and friends of friends who just want them as pets, and will have no intention of ever breeding them.

I'm sorry I started this thread. I'm sorry I've got so many people upset. I didn't see the point in becoming a registered breeder to breed one litter of pups where both parents are pedigree, health checked (maybe no to your standards, but still health checked), happy and healthy. Clearly I've done the wrong thing and I apologise. I won't be doing it again. Yes I truly did believe I could register the litter because both parents were registered. Clearly I was wrong.

ok do you know that the new owners can change the 2nd contact? Unfortunately no one can guarantee their dog or one of their breeding will never end up in the pound if only because accidents can happen, not to mention how some people are really good at telling porkies to get what they want, then don't do the right thing. Also contracts usually aren't worth the paper they are written on. And how do you know they won't breed sometime down the track, the people who sold you registered dogs possibly thought the same thing about you. All said without malice.

Yes. A business that sponsors this site was bagged, unfairly in my view, because I have done a comparison on Whelping Supplies, and believe it to be fair value for money.

Because this is a discussion forum and not a soap box, I felt the need to put forward my view. Ok with everyone else?

That the OP wanted something cheaper has nothing to do with the site. You believe it to be bagged and that it's fair value for money; clearly from other people's posts, they believe there are cheaper alternatives.

Pity how many members are leaving dol these days due to others flogging them. The way I see it is that yes she should have been a registered breeder but the pups are here now and she is asking for advice, to run her off is denying those pups help because now she wont return and ask other questions, some of which will probably be more important then Id tags.

And another sad fact is that I have heard of loads of labs with hip and elbow dysplasia and other health issues who were bought from registered breeders, it is not just backyard breeders who produce pups with health problems.

Stop attacking and start educating.

That the OP wanted something cheaper has nothing to do with the site. You believe it to be bagged and that it's fair value for money; clearly from other people's posts, they believe there are cheaper alternatives.

That is fine.

So why do we get the "Ohh, you are so nasty to noobie" brigade thing happening then? I don't care how long Kazzie has been posting.

That is fine.

So why do we get the "Ohh, you are so nasty to noobie" brigade thing happening then? I don't care how long Kazzie has been posting.

Nor do I so perhaps you can point out where I made mention of that?

And another sad fact is that I have heard of loads of labs with hip and elbow dysplasia and other health issues who were bought from registered breeders, it is not just backyard breeders who produce pups with health problems.

yes that is true but hopefully those registered breeders were breeding from cleared stock to leesen the chances of a pup being affected, not to mention some problems are also enviromental and no breeder has control over that. BYB's don't bother doing the correct tests so their pups are more of a genetic mine field.

It must always be remembered that dogs are living, breathing creatures and sh!t happens sometimes no matter what you do. A registered breeder who has done the right things cuts down on the risks a buyer takes with purchasing a new family member.

Nor do I so perhaps you can point out where I made mention of that?

No, I won't be going through your posts and pointing out things you have mentioned. It isn't about you.

Perhaps you could do it, if you were bored and wanted to bore everyone again else too.

Also all the new owners will be signing a contract agreeing to have the dogs desexed at 6 months of age.

If you are grumbling about the price of bands then how will you be taking an owner to court if they breach their "contract" and breed with one of your puppies???

Have the puppies desexed before they go to their new homes.

edit for spelling :laugh:

Edited by Silvawilow

This forum has literally totally changed my life. I worked for many years in the "pet industry" naively buying and selling puppies and other animals for a company. I honestly thought I was doing the right thing by the animals by educating people and finding them loving homes. I originally looked on this forum because I heard how passionately DOL was against petshops and I wanted to know why.

Well, I got the education of a life time from just reading posts and learning the "truths" behind the industry I was in. It totally changed the way I felt about my job and what I was doing and after 8 1/2 years of working in that industry I decided I couldn't in good conscience do it any more. It was scarey as hell leaving my "comfort zone", but I can honestly say it was the best decision in my life, I am now in a job I adore and am very good at (and actually helping animals).

I guess what I am saying is that DOL is a great resource and educational tool. I do however think that if I had originally posted on here instead of just sitting back and reading posts, and had been flamed straight away, I would never have come back and would still be selling animals like products off a shelf.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Oct 8, 2008 Kazzie_81 the OP's old user ID

I'm not agains X-Breeds! Not at all. I am against people breeding unhealthy dogs. I am against people pretending a dog is something it's not! I am against people breeding and not caring for the pups, selling them to early, breeding too often, etc etc. Those people who decide to have one litter before they desex their dogs - so what? As long as they do everything in their power to make sure pups are healthy, happy and go to good homes, then I don't see a problem with it

Oct 8, 2008 Kazzie_81 the OP's old user ID
I'm not agains X-Breeds! Not at all. I am against people breeding unhealthy dogs. I am against people pretending a dog is something it's not! I am against people breeding and not caring for the pups, selling them to early, breeding too often, etc etc. Those people who decide to have one litter before they desex their dogs - so what? As long as they do everything in their power to make sure pups are healthy, happy and go to good homes, then I don't see a problem with it

Ouch.