Meet The Newest Addition

Kirislin

She is very very pretty! I'm also thinking that Gus is part greyhound when I look at Bosley as they look alittle similar (he's in my siggy). He was labelled a Golden Retriever cross at the RSPCA but I can certainly see greyhound in him too now (Yeah!)

Good luck with finding her new home. Her new family will be very lucky to have such a beautiful girl! How old is she?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's very playful and inquisitive. Makes me wonder how bored they must be in kennels all day. I thought she was quiet so went and checked, she was up on the dog couch and and taken the cover off a pillow, and collected a few items she decided were toys, except they weren't. I took her outside for a play and afterwards I came inside. Heard a noise and again checked. She'd discovered my beautiful green (toy) frogs on the bird bath and started taking them. I've had to hide them now.

Here she is playing with 11 year old Penny who is still as lively and agile as a puppy.

4699118558_7871f0dd92.jpg

and Puck (the whippet) who looks like he thinks she's about to kill him, he's not sure about her.

4699118564_8201b82f26.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

She's very playful and inquisitive. Makes me wonder how bored they must be in kennels all day. I thought she was quiet so went and checked, she was up on the dog couch and and taken the cover off a pillow, and collected a few items she decided were toys, except they weren't. I took her outside for a play and afterwards I came inside. Heard a noise and again checked. She'd discovered my beautiful green (toy) frogs on the bird bath and started taking them. I've had to hide them now.

:laugh:

Oh she's so beautiful! I'd have her in a heart beat if I had more space.

Guest belgian.blue
and Puck who looks like he thinks she's about to kill him, he's not sure about her.

4699118564_8201b82f26.jpg

She's a big girl?

Love her colouring!!

She is beautiful :rofl: If things were too quiet I always knew my grey was up to something - usually dragging boots, dog beds and anything else she could find out into the hallway :laugh: She too came straight from kennels and was pretty easy to toilet train :cheer: She was also a 'failed' racer who showed no natural chasing instinct, hence we were able to take her with our then 3 cats. I spoke to her new mum the other day and she has chased down and dispatched a wild rabbit in their orchard, so I guess the instinct is still there :o

Good luck with her, she has the most beautiful eyes :rofl:

Guest belgian.blue
Ivy, Puck is a Whippet and the new girl is a Greyhound. Hence the size difference. :laugh:

Hehe, thanks for clearing that up Kirty :rofl:

Thanks Kirty, I didn't realise why BB thought she was big, I was looking and thinking no, she's not very big, but I can see why you might think she was a giant if you thought Puck was also a greyhound. She is quite fine and elegant but she isn't heavily muscled yet cause she's not in racing condition, plus she's still very young, only about 18months old I think so she's got that fine willowy look. I just to up to check how she is and the little fiend has chewed my vacuum cleaner cord through. Lucky it wasn't turned on at the switch as it often is. I thought everything would be safe once she was bedded down for the night, looks like I'd better put my camera and accessories in a safe place.

she is lovely, and my fav grey colour too :rofl:

this is ot, and please don't think i am being nasty, but what if you find a home who doesn't want her on the couch, not everyone does. do all foster greys get taught they can sit on the lounge?

i am also curious as to why greys have to be inside, surely they live outside in kennels when they are in training?

honest questions, don't bite :laugh:

she is lovely, and my fav grey colour too :rofl:

this is ot, and please don't think i am being nasty, but what if you find a home who doesn't want her on the couch, not everyone does. do all foster greys get taught they can sit on the lounge?

i am also curious as to why greys have to be inside, surely they live outside in kennels when they are in training?

honest questions, don't bite :laugh:

actually it is best foster dogs, of any breed, don't learn it is ok to get on the furniture, many people, who are excellent homes, don't want their dogs on the furniture. Things like that are best left to the new owners to teach if they want too. Greys can live outside but they are usually used to living with other dogs, so if there are no other dogs they will most likely be happier inside. Plus they are now pets, not working dogs so why not be inside? Nevertheless, even if outside dogs, it helps for them to learn what the inside of a house is like in case they are sick and need to be kept inside for example.

It's a dog couch but you're right, she wont know the difference. It's OK though cause she wont get on it anyway.

I took her up the park today for the first time. Initially she was terrified of all the other dogs because she's only ever seen whippets and greyhounds before, and today she saw labs, golden retrievers, kelpie and all sorts of x breds. She had her hackles up at first so we walked on ahead of the main group. After a while I stopped to chat to 2 other ladies with dogs and just stood and let her take it all in. She was really good and started to relax a bit. I took her on a second walk about an hour later and when she got out of the car this time she was wagging her tail.

She hardly responds to her name at all though and doesn't seem particularly food motivated so I think it will be a while before she starts coming when called.

I am wondering how I will teach her to lay down. Every other dog I've trained has been a puppy small enough for me to physically put them into a position to help them understand, but she is a big lump, not something I can manipulate.

She's learning to climb into the car though and is catching on to the command UP and WAIT. I think she's a clever girl, we'll get there.

Foster failure, foster failure. . . . . . :laugh: I love the photos you take of her! Isn't it great to have such an elegant subject??

She does look VERY sweet and also appears to have a sense of humour too :rofl:

Cheerio

Cairo1