Any Feedback On This Boarding Kennel

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

I visited the kennel during its advertised opening hours to inspect the place before making my booking. I was unprepared for what happened though.

I was told when I arrived that the kennels were not open because they had some law enforcement dogs there and therefore nobody was allowed to inspect the kennels. I was also told that they were fully booked. When I explained that I was going by the information on their website, that they welcomed inspections between certain hours, I was told that I should have rung and they would have told me they were unable to allow inspections and that they were fully booked.

Poor customer service. I was treated like an idiot for following the information THEY have on THEIR website. :rofl::laugh: :D

So, I will never board my dogs at this place. They told me that they "didn't have time" to update their website. I wonder what else they don't have time for at this kennel?

I was told when I arrived that the kennels were not open because they had some law enforcement dogs there and therefore nobody was allowed to inspect the kennels

Unless there have been some rules made this is rubbish.

Until facilities where set up here we use to board the beagle brigade,police dogs,prison dogs,bomb dog & we never had issues.

For starters no one would now what dogs they where unless told ,they where treated like everyone else with the same privacy .

Each to there own i guess

I was told when I arrived that the kennels were not open because they had some law enforcement dogs there and therefore nobody was allowed to inspect the kennels

Unless there have been some rules made this is rubbish.

Until facilities where set up here we use to board the beagle brigade,police dogs,prison dogs,bomb dog & we never had issues.

For starters no one would now what dogs they where unless told ,they where treated like everyone else with the same privacy .

Each to there own i guess

The whole thing felt dodgy to me. For starters, the person I spoke to had zero ability to communicate effectively and got me off-side from the moment he spoke. I can (to a degree) understand a situation where a kennel is fully booked, but I wasn't asked for the timing or duration of the booking I wanted to make. I was just told that they were fully booked and that I should have called them instead of visiting during their advertised opening hours. There is NO way I would book at a kennel that did not allow me to inspect it beforehand. :D

I suppose their business is doing so well that they can afford to piss people off! :rofl:

The position is also a bit off to me. Boarding kennels aren't usually located bang on a major through-road within a few metres of four lanes of traffic. I expected the kennels to be well off the main road, but they seem to be in what I would call an extension of the house yard. :laugh:

We will contact our vet tomorrow as they also do short-term boarding. I have little doubt that we can get the girls in there, but if not, we can take them to the new house for the day the movers pack our old place up, then put them safely in the garage of the new place on moving-in day.

At least we can rule this particular kennel out for whenever we travel overseas. :)

My friend works at a kennels in Brisbane and says they are fantastic - I don't know the name but the owners also breed Salukis which is such a rare dog that you should be able to find them by having a look at the front of Dogzonline.

There are a number of QLD Saluki breeders listed...

I know of a couple of kennels in Bracken Ridge, one of which breeds Afghans and IGs but not sure of Salukis.

OH is contacting our vet this morning...Lilly also needs a check for a suspected UTI. :rainbowbridge:

The Pines Pet Resort is one I would recommend. I put my 'girls' there a couple of times and they always came out happy, healthy and not really wanting to leave. They are popular and a little way out of Brisbane, but if you don't mind traveling for peace of mind, then this is the place.

http://www.thepinespetresort.com.au/

This is their website.

They did pick up and deliver to one of the vets on the north side of Brisbane for me too.

Hope this helps.

Yep, northside.

We've got the girls into our vet for boarding. It's only two days, one night. :love:

We were looking for a kennel for when we travel. So far we have ruled this one out based on the way I was treated.

GM - if they were closed to inspections, as I was advised when I visited, then it should be on the website. They are "fully booked" because they have some law enforcement dogs staying, not general bookings. This is for 6 mths so I can't understand why the website hasn't been updated to reflect that, except that they "don't have time" to update it. Anyone reading the website would assume (as I did) that the opening hours stated are still in effect, when clearly they are not.

I have no idea when school holidays are as we don't have kids and don't know anyone with kids. And it should hardly matter as the bloke didn't even ask when the booking was for, or the duration of the stay. :laugh:

The whole thing felt dodgy to me. For starters, the person I spoke to had zero ability to communicate effectively and got me off-side from the moment he spoke. I can (to a degree) understand a situation where a kennel is fully booked, but I wasn't asked for the timing or duration of the booking I wanted to make. I was just told that they were fully booked and that I should have called them instead of visiting during their advertised opening hours. There is NO way I would book at a kennel that did not allow me to inspect it beforehand. :D

I suppose their business is doing so well that they can afford to piss people off! :love:

The position is also a bit off to me. Boarding kennels aren't usually located bang on a major through-road within a few metres of four lanes of traffic. I expected the kennels to be well off the main road, but they seem to be in what I would call an extension of the house yard. :laugh:

We will contact our vet tomorrow as they also do short-term boarding. I have little doubt that we can get the girls in there, but if not, we can take them to the new house for the day the movers pack our old place up, then put them safely in the garage of the new place on moving-in day.

At least we can rule this particular kennel out for whenever we travel overseas. :eat:

Things to consider -

There are more boarding kennels closing than they are being replaced, especially on the northside of Brisbane. Which means that most kennels get booked out up to 6 months ahead of the busy school holiday times. Christmas/New Year being the worst. Kennels are full without much effort on their part.

I would recommend calling ahead of any inspection to ensure that someone will be available to take you through. It's cold and flu season, the person that handles the inspections maybe off - you don't know if you don't call. It's a courtesy. To be honest, I think it's rude to just turn up without ringing first.

Most kennels were originally in quiet, rural areas that got busy and built up. Bonus being of course is that they don't have the same level of noise issues due to the traffic droning on. Trying to get a license to have boarding kennels now is almost impossible, the vast majority within BCC limits have been there for 30+ years.

GM - if they were closed to inspections, as I was advised when I visited, then it should be on the website. They are "fully booked" because they have some law enforcement dogs staying, not general bookings. This is for 6 mths so I can't understand why the website hasn't been updated to reflect that, except that they "don't have time" to update it. Anyone reading the website would assume (as I did) that the opening hours stated are still in effect, when clearly they are not.

It says on the website -

We welcome inspections of our facilities any time between 8am-10am then 2pm-4pm Monday to Saturday except during School holidays and public holidays.

Pretty easy to check when school holidays are.

You might call it 'bad service', but I think you are being unfair expecting them to show you around the kennels on the first day of school holidays.

I called in there on Saturday afternoon and was told they were booked out bec AFP were doing renos at the airport to the areas where the dogs are housed, and a lot of the AFP dogs were being boarded at the Boondall kennel. Apparently they will be booked out for a while. He recommended I try a place at Bracken Ridge called All Breeds.

At the moment I'm exploring an option through this website -

http://www.findadogminder.com.au/

I also checked out The Pines Pet Resort (mentioned earlier in the thread) - although I didn't book my girl in to this place, I got a good feel about it when I visited. There was no hesitation in showing me through, and I liked the layout of the kennel arrangement where all the kennels for the bigger dogs faced in to the middle.

I know the people who own this Kennel and most of the people who work there.

They are all active in Dog Sports, many of them instruct at their respective clubs - I'm pretty sure they would look after any dogs that stayed there as well as anyone. I would trust any of them to look after my dogs - either at work or privately. Not something I could say for a couple of other boarding Kennels that I have had experience with.

It seems that you have struck someone on a bad day - the first day of school holidays is never a good time to visit a Kennel IMO and I don't really think you can blame them for their location. I guess if that is going to be an issue for your dog then you don't need to board them there.

I know first impressions count and you have obviously not got them on a good day.

I also think that its all too easy to bag out and damage a business for superficial things like not having a website totally up to date (although it apears that you have not read the piece about school hols). Personally I would rather have a small business interested in keeping enclosures clean and dogs well looked after than a smart looking website. (How many puppy farmers cop it for having a great website and treating animals poorly?)

I hope you find somewhere you are comfortable with to board your pets and can understand that you may , but I would recommend these people to anyone.

Website has been updated

Please note: Due to huge demand for limited kennel space we are no longer taking bookings for new dogs to the kennels at this current time. Existing clients that require boarding for their pets can contact us as per our normal contact numbers.

Pickup and Delivery option is no longer available and Kennel inspections are not available till further notice.