Other People Feeding Your Dog

LDR

I've learnt that both OH's Mum and my Mum are suckers for Timmy's hungry eyes so now when we visit I cut back his previous meal. Last night OH's Mum "dropped" some roast lamb on the floor "accidentally" to call Timmy over to help clean up the mess ... My Mum, well she'll make toast if Timmy stares at the toaster long enough ... :thumbsup: And my two year old nephew "shares" everything with Timmy (much to my brother's disgust - total clean freak :laugh:)

Then there's the little old ladies we see occassionally on our morning walk (complete with walking frames and football jerseys) who carry dog treats in their pockets to divvy out to the dogs they pass. Needless to say they are *very* popular with the local dogs! :winner:

Generally I'm not bothered as it's a) all safe food (not quite the raw diet we adhere to at home) and b) it's only occassionally, not very often in the scheme of things.

Am I right to be so relaxed? I hadn't thought about it much until I realised just how much food Timmy can score ... he even got to lick the cheesy cauliflower bake and gravy pans last night at OH's parents ..

efs

Edited by LDR

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep it sure does annoy me, but not as much as people that give my kids food without asking if it is ok first.

Kids, that would tick me off big time! I don't blame you!

But yeah, I sort of watch it all unfold with Timmy and think "Meh, good luck boy, you aint getting nothing from me at home!".

No one feeds my dog except me without express permission. Same with giving her toys. I have a word with anyone who tries. It is not OK.

I was a little more lenient with my last dog since he was primarily a pet. But I still think it's extremely rude to feed someone's dog without checking with them first. I do not want my dog learning to mug strangers for food. Makes training so much harder.

If it doesn't bother you, then I guess the only thing wrong with letting strangers feed your dog without asking, is that it helps perpetuate the idea that it's OK to feed a stranger's dogs without asking the owners. :thumbsup:

I have never minded people feeding my dog leftover bits of meat.... My girl has always been more on the skinny side so it has never been a problem. I do prefer that they ask me first though.

What I absolutely hate is when people give her junk food like chips and biscuits and other sorts of people food! That really annoys me and I usually let them know I'm not happy about my dog eating junk food.

I don't let anyone give my new puppy anything other than his own treats or food.

Today when people can be very strict about their dog's diet, particularly if the dog has an intolerance or is being treated via a specific diet regime, I think it is wrong.

Some as petting a strange dog: ask first.

Different in the family though.

I let my dogs lick the bowls :thumbsup::laugh::winner:

I guess I'm lucky as Timmy knows the people to stare at and is not a beggar with strangers. He literally has about half a dozen people wrapped around his paw ... one of our friends who refers to Timmy as her boyfriend takes him on dates to dog friendly cafes and they share a little bit of muffin or cake.

I've tried to use praise rather then treat based training primarily so I guess it's a bit different for us.

i hate it, i was at soccer this weekend, normally take one dog with me, this time it was my cattle dogs turn, when the lady next to me wanted to give him some chips :laugh:

she asked first, and i said "no", she wanted to know why not.

i tried to explain that they only get dog food ,and that i don't want to encourage begging. she looked at me if as if i was really mean, then proceded to 'accidently" drop one next to ozzie, who just looked at it and left it :thumbsup:

I would flip if someone fed my dogs without my permission (and i would rarely give permission)... My Dane has a sensitive belly and she is also extremely food aggressive with other dogs if people aren't around... if a neighbour threw food over the fence, I would be in hysterics as she will kill another dog that comes near her food (without supervision).

If I am standing right there, I may allow a treat but it depends on what it is due to my Dane having a funny gut over things like liver, roo.. My Lab needs to keep her weight down as she only has 3 legs and HD so cannot be allowed to get fat... plus she's a pig so will just bug the crap out of people if she thinks they have food for her.. and my Poodle isn't overly interested in food from other people... just attention. lol

Only my mum does it... all my friends and other family members knows the rules on not feeding Charlie or Emmy random things. They all think I'm crazy dog person, but they all love my dogs and so they just follow the rules.

Charlie doesn't take food off people he doesn't know... something he has always done, and I've never discouraged it. Emmy is guts.. eats everything and anything you give her.

The boyfriend and I are guilty of sometimes sharing our food with the dogs. Emmy licks my bowl/plate after dinner sometimes (it's either her or the boyfriend).

Can't STAND people that feed my dog without my permission, thinking it's okay (and then it's up to me to fix up her unsettled, sensitive belly). Some people don't understand that not all foods agree with all dogs... some can eat anything, and no effects... and some, like mine, can eat one wrong thing and be sick and runny poos for days (sometimes to warrant a vet visit).

I've put up with alot of things from my neighbours next door, having rubbish, used condoms etc thrown into my yard... annoying and stressful, but I deal with it. But as soon as some food came over, and it endangered Sasha - I marched straight over and ripped into them. I hate people who 'presume' it would be okay to take charge of what my dog should or shouldn't eat. My dog, my yard, my rules. I asked them how they would like it if I fed their dog and made it sick... oh, when the shoe's on the other foot...

So yes, when other people feed my dog without my permission - I fly into a fury and can only see red.

I have a food aggressive dog and HATE when people feed them without my ok. I had a neighbour who would throw food over when I was not home, an ex flatmate caught her, I went off at her, told her if Atlas attacks Kaos over the food, she would be the one paying the vet bills. She never did it again

Dad is a shocker, Atlas isnt allowed any food from people when we are eating, dad always gives him something :thumbsup:

We get into so many fights ... but he is 'just a dog' so i should get over it

Some interesting replies, thanks guys.

It must be difficult with neighbours tossding anything over the fence Kelly Louise - that's plain rude!

And yeah, I don't feed Timmy from my plate at all yet OH does ... and OH wonders why he gets a sooking, whining brat whenever he tries to eat in the lounge room. Sigh!

I'm pretty cool with it given it's the Mums and they refer to Timmy as their Granddog and would never give him anything to harm him (plus he has a cast iron gut too).

I never offer pats / food to other people's dogs without permission though.

What I absolutely hate is when people give her junk food like chips and biscuits and other sorts of people food! That really annoys me and I usually let them know I'm not happy about my dog eating junk food.

In our little cul-de-sac we have daily get-togethers in the warm weather. People have a glas of wine, a few chips and dips. I am the only dog owner who insists that no-one gives my dog any of the human food, and no sneaky, cheap dog 'treats' either :thumbsup:

Bugs the hell out of me.

Where we used to live there was a creek running behind our house. One of the ladies a few houses down used to walk along the creek with her boxer everyday which would send my dogs mad. She took it upon herself to start feeding them everytime she went past small yummy treats so that they started associating her walk past with the boxer as a good thing. I only found out as I happened to be off work one day as she strolled past and stopped to feed them.

I immediately went up to the fence and asked what she thought she was doing. She explained what she wa strying to acheive. I think explained that the older dog had quite severe food allergies which caused her to drop weight dramatically and lose all her hair and she was contributing to the problem (we had our girl on a special home made - sometimes raw - diet). I told her that I'd appreciate her not doing it anymore and that she should have asked me previously.

Funnily enough, the dog had been having a flare up of her allergies and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what it was coz she was on her diet, but as soon as the lady stopped feeding them it cleared up (well as much as it clears).

She did eventually check if it would be OK to give them cooked chicken which I said yes, but her plan never worked. They still went nuts everytime she went past LOL.

We have neighbours who have kids who throw things over the wall to my dog, sometimes its food, sometimes lolly sticks and sometimes plastic lolly ice moulds, drives me crazy as I have a dog who has bad allergies, I am spending $1000's of dollars trying to make him feel better and some kid ruins things like elimination diet etc. We have spoken to the parents but still it continues.....

To all the people with neighbours throwing food over the fence, maybe a stinky chicken neck / dog treat / PAL over *their* fence might give them the hint! :thumbsup: We are so lucky that all that comes sailing over our fence is the odd tennis ball (much to Timmy's delight).

I'm sorry, I'm one of those people that carry dog treats.

I carry liver treats everywhere, BUT I demand a quiet sit or down before I give anything out. That counter-acts me giving out treats, right?

Also, to further defend myself, I do the same if I see a puppy, to help build social skills and manners.

.......but mostly so I have an excuse to get closer and see if there's a chance for puppy-mooshings and kisses.

In our little cul-de-sac we have daily get-togethers in the warm weather. People have a glas of wine, a few chips and dips. I am the only dog owner who insists that no-one gives my dog any of the human food, and no sneaky, cheap dog 'treats' either :thumbsup:

I want to live in your cul de sac Loraine :laugh:

Mine are mostly okay, but have some turds too - certainly not people I want to have a get together with.