My Dog Is A Farmer

spottychick

Usually I post stuff here about Tango because I adopted him through NSW Dally rescue and stuff and a couple of people here are interested in him. But I have another dally named Pepper who really has taken the bulk of the responsiblity for dealing with the somewhat difficult Mr T since he arrived. She gets a bit sidelined I'm afraid!

Now, my girl Pepper has the sweetest temperament you can imagine. She isn't cringey or timid but simply prefers not to get into arguments and tries to find amicable ways around things like licking the other dogs face, cuddling into the other dog, throwing a toy at them and/or assuming the "lets play" position. All of these and other similar diplomatic ploys generally work a treat, even with some fairly grouchy dogs we've come across - tho she is very good at spotting the truly dog aggressive type and wont go near them. She is a delight and most people who meet her want to take her home. She's cuddly and joyful and energetic and has a natural knack for making people laugh.

Anyway - enter Tango into our lives and he snarls at her when she tries to cuddle with him in bed, bites her face when she tries to kiss him, scares her when she does "let's play" so she hides behind me, barks at her and makes her give up her bed for him whenever he feels like it and generally acts like he's the boss and she's a big fat whimp.

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLL.......

Today I was outside raking up grass clippings (why can't I train the dogs to do that :eek:) and Tango was busy fruitlessly hunting for gourmet dog food in the veggie patch. I had vaguely noticed Pepper spending a lot of time at the edge of the driveway but it wasn't until I'd finished raking and went over there that I discovered what she'd been doing.

It seems there are potatos growing under all the rocks and grass etc along the driveway (who knew!!??) and she had dug down and pulled them all out. HAHAHAHAHA She had them in a sort of longish pile and was looking at me with a very satisfied "Aren't I clever" look on her face. Then she carefully sorted through them, found a good medium sized one and started eating it.

Now normally when Pepper has something Tango wants he will simply walk toward her and pounce a bit, maybe bark or something - and she'll drop it and let him have whatever it was. I once even saw him bite her on the bottom (and make her squeal) to make her let go of a toy he wanted!!!! :mad

So, anyway, back to the potato farmer happily showing me her crop of taties. Suddenly ..... here comes trouble. ;) Tango saunters arrogantly over to see what Peppers got and as he got within snatching distance - she GROWLED AT HIM and hunched over the pile of potatos. ;) It wasnt a very vicious growl but it was a surprise to me and to Tango. So Tango stops dead, looks a bit befuddled and then very meekly walks a safe distance away and looks miserably at Pepper who is gleefully and noisily scoffing her potato. So I took one and gave it to him (for being good). He carried it away to the other side of the garden to eat it.

Finally, Pepper finished her potato and I took the rest inside for me to have later!!

SO! It looks like Ms Pepper simply chooses her battles well and is allowing him to bully her. He clearly has no real aggression or follow through and she probably knew that from the start - but she prefers to let him have his way (ie the favoured bed) than fight him over it.

What a girl! :D

post-10457-1277348971_thumb.jpg

No they are ready to eat - and very nice looking potatos ;) And truth be told the dogs left most of their potatos lying around in little chewed up bits LMAO not so much "eating" them as playing with them.

Edited by spottychick

That is soooo cute! Farmer Pepper has been growing her own treats. I bet she has been secretly tending them the whole time until she decided they were ready for her and you to eat... but not for Tango!

Ok one for Tango...

Edited by Saxonpup

That is soooo cute! Farmer Pepper has been growing her own treats. I bet she has been secretly tending them the whole time until she decided they were ready for her and you to eat... but not for Tango!

Ok one for Tango...

;)

Sneaking out at night to water them..

Ok one for Tango...

;)

Sneaking out at night to water them..

:D ;)

So, anyway, back to the potato farmer happily showing me her crop of taties. Suddenly ..... here comes trouble. :provoke: Tango saunters arrogantly over to see what Peppers got and as he got within snatching distance - she GROWLED AT HIM and hunched over the pile of potatos. :) It wasnt a very vicious growl but it was a surprise to me and to Tango. So Tango stops dead, looks a bit befuddled and then very meekly walks a safe distance away and looks miserably at Pepper who is gleefully and noisily scoffing her potato. So I took one and gave it to him (for being good). He carried it away to the other side of the garden to eat it.

Oh that is absolutely hilarious, S/C. I can see it all. Poor Tango must have been sooooo shocked at not getting his way.

Way to go, girl.

(Obviously it is a day for the girls !!)

That's gorgeous, and so is Pepper.

No they are ready to eat - and very nice looking potatos

Warning, green potatoes aren't unripe potatoes, they have green areas or patches on them and they are poisionous to humans and dogs if eaten raw. They'd make us sick, but they might make a dog deathly ill.

Edited by GayleK

Hi GayleK - Yep thanks for that - I throw out green ones :D

MM - Cor, a day for the girls is right. :mad BTW - You might understand why I'm a bit excited by the following little snippet.

I saw something super wonderful today (for us anyway). I took the dogs to the "big town" for Tango's vet appointment and it's raining cats and dogs out there so we all ended up extremely wet by the end of the day. On the way home I glanced in the rear vision mirror and saw Tango gently licking Pepper's ears and neck!! It looked like he was trying to dry her off. That is the most affectionate I've seen him be towards anyone (he's not at all a licky dog) - but especially Pepper. I mean he used to yap and snap at her in the car if she got too close to him! And she was just sitting there looking happily out the window while he was cleaning her up. I kept glancing back and he kept it up for about 5 - 10 minutes. I didn't think I'd ever see them being that close. They still don't share beds etc and there's wariness between them but that was fantastic to see :D

That's gorgeous, and so is Pepper.
No they are ready to eat - and very nice looking potatos

Warning, green potatoes aren't unripe potatoes, they have green areas or patches on them and they are poisionous to humans and dogs if eaten raw. They'd make us sick, but they might make a dog deathly ill.

The green indicates the presence of a poison that does this. It is formed by the potatoes being exposed to light, mainly sunlight. If they have been growing anywhere near the surface of the ground, for example, not just post harvest.

The problem is that the poison is there long before the green colour appears. So you can't tell if it is present or not.

Thus RAW potatoes are best not eaten.

Cooking destroys the toxin if it is there, so no prioblem once they are well cooked.

To put people's minds at rest I did check with the vet when I was there today - just in case - but she said they're both fine :thumbsup: Also - if it EVER stops raining here - I'll go out and see if I can find if there's any more hidden in the garden and just make sure they're all good. The ones Pepper got were buried quite deep - which is why I was so surprised she'd done it :thumbsup:

I used to love eating raw potatoes when I was a kid, then I ate a green one and got very sick.....lots of vomiting, as I remember....and went right off raw spuds.

Spottychick, Dusty is quite submissive to Benson most of the time, although he's a pretty benevolent dictator and he's not nasty to her but he sometimes takes her things. But she will do exactly the same as Pepper.....stand up for herself when she feels it's important for her. And when she does, Benson takes her seriously and keeps his distance, and his paws off whatever she's got.