Breed Suggestions Please

Pug Hugger

A shar pei from one of our shar pei rescuers on the forum. Can be very easy to live with dogs - not overly energetic (or destructive) and can usually cope with time alone. Many are great with other dogs, especially if other dogs are smaller and less threatening ones. Shed alot when moulting in spring, but not bad most of the year. Nice compact medium size.

Edited by badboyz

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A shar pei from one of our shar pei rescuers on the forum. Can be very easy to live with dogs - not overly energetic (or destructive) and can usually cope with time alone. Many are great with other dogs, especially if other dogs are smaller and less threatening ones. Shed alot when moulting in spring, but not bad most of the year. Nice compact medium size.

Actually I did consider a rescue shar pei as well - perhaps I will run that past him too, so long as they are good with the pugs we will be fine, that said Louie can be quite in your face so would that rule out a shar pei? :rofl: No kids to worry about and no cats...

A lovely DOLer has given me a heads up about a small rescue dog that might be suitable so I am going to look into her as well.

I think I also like the whippets, but I also want a GAP dog and a tibbie!!! Ooops, this is not about me :rofl:

I am not convinced a cavvie would be suitable as he or she would need to be left at home alone a fair chunk of the week if he returns to work... If he does decide to retire a cavvie could be ideal :rofl:

same for the mini schnauzer, they like to be with their people and are a little to intelligent to leave alone all day. Plus as said before there is the clipping to keep on top of

I am biased, but I have two keeshonds! Both need little exercise, one can barely trot down the street and back but loves the smells, they are not big barkers, only to warn of new arrivals! they have a coat, but are not big shedders, they just need a quick brush every couple of days with a slicker brush- under the chin, around the neck, along the sides and up the rear legs, done in 1 minute! They are medium sized, get along with other dogs, They are affectionate but not really lap dogs, very loyal and great for first time owners, have never had any problems or heard of anyone else having any! Please consider :rofl:

On the Dol Breed Pages there was one mature dog available from a rep. breeder in SA looking for a home, but appears to no longer be listed. There are puppies available in Tasmania (from show breeder) and in SA through:

RYMIST

Ph : 08 85292005

Rymist breeders of quality Keeshonds. Puppies sometimes available. Currently have puppies available, please contact us for further details.!

Also, please consider a Rescue dog, here a few on PetRescue etc. i think might suit!

http://www.petrescue.com.au/view/73216

http://www.petrescue.com.au/view/74929

Whippet 4yr male pedigree, Adelaide, SA

My Whippet needs a home. I am unable to look after him anymore :-( Very quiet, great with kids and old people. Kilburn - Adelaide 0414801579

Posted: 09/06/2010 [Private Reply] [Delete]

Free to a good home whippet - 21.06.10

Desexed male, fawn and white , 3 years old

Tori Stirling

Ph: 08 83701342 Email:[email protected]

Also Whippet on dol breed page:

SHALLRUN

Ph : 08 85243454

Email : [email protected]

Web : http://www.freewebs.com/shallrunwhippets/

Amy is available to a kind and loving home. She has just turned 12months old is house trained, vaccinated and microchipped. She needs a home where she can sleep in the bed or on the lounge. She is very easy to live with and just wants human company. Please phone Sharon or Rick on 8524 3454

I am not convinced a cavvie would be suitable as he or she would need to be left at home alone a fair chunk of the week if he returns to work... If he does decide to retire a cavvie could be ideal :o

same for the mini schnauzer, they like to be with their people and are a little to intelligent to leave alone all day. Plus as said before there is the clipping to keep on top of

Okay - I am not used to intelligent dogs :laugh: my two sleep all day!

I am biased, but I have two keeshonds! Both need little exercise, one can barely trot down the street and back but loves the smells, they are not big barkers, only to warn of new arrivals! they have a coat, but are not big shedders, they just need a quick brush every couple of days with a slicker brush- under the chin, around the neck, along the sides and up the rear legs, done in 1 minute! They are medium sized, get along with other dogs, They are affectionate but not really lap dogs, very loyal and great for first time owners, have never had any problems or heard of anyone else having any! Please consider :laugh:

On the Dol Breed Pages there was one mature dog available from a rep. breeder in SA looking for a home, but appears to no longer be listed. There are puppies available in Tasmania (from show breeder) and in SA through:

RYMIST

Ph : 08 85292005

Rymist breeders of quality Keeshonds. Puppies sometimes available. Currently have puppies available, please contact us for further details.!

Also, please consider a Rescue dog, here a few on PetRescue etc. i think might suit!

http://www.petrescue.com.au/view/73216

http://www.petrescue.com.au/view/74929

Whippet 4yr male pedigree, Adelaide, SA

My Whippet needs a home. I am unable to look after him anymore :-( Very quiet, great with kids and old people. Kilburn - Adelaide 0414801579

Posted: 09/06/2010 [Private Reply] [Delete]

Free to a good home whippet - 21.06.10

Desexed male, fawn and white , 3 years old

Tori Stirling

Ph: 08 83701342 Email:[email protected]

Also Whippet on dol breed page:

SHALLRUN

Ph : 08 85243454

Email : [email protected]

Web : http://www.freewebs.com/shallrunwhippets/

Amy is available to a kind and loving home. She has just turned 12months old is house trained, vaccinated and microchipped. She needs a home where she can sleep in the bed or on the lounge. She is very easy to live with and just wants human company. Please phone Sharon or Rick on 8524 3454

Thanks for the links - I will have a chat to OHs Dad and see if he likes the sound of the whippet...

What about a Cavalier?

I don't think a cav would cope well possibly being left alone full time :laugh: My parents want cavvies next and that seems to be what I am being told...

Yeah you are right I guess, but if he (or your parents) were interested in getting a pair Id seriously consider a Cav, my parents have a pair and work full time and they are happy to have each other through the day, and a lap each at night, regular brushing is all thats needed and they dont shed near as much as my JRT did, and there was 2 of them!

I also think mini schnauzer or mini poodle.

A greyhound ticks all the boxes except size. Even the smallest greyhound could barely be called a medium sized dog let alone small.

No, an average size female greyhound could easily be called medium sized dog.

goldie_diameter.jpg

They will fit in a handbag.

_42113660_max_hand_luggage.gif

I actually think it may be too early to get a dog. If this man is , as you said, recently become single, then I think probably a little more time to work out what his life is going to be like would be a good idea. It sounds to me a little like a few aspects of his life may change over the near future (this is the impression that I am getting). It would probably be better for all concerned if he kept himself free of commitments like getting a dog so that he is free to choose whatever he likes. As you know, getting a dog is a real long term commitment. Is it really the right time to make a commitment like this? Even if the dog would make him happy, that doesn't mean he should have one. Post breakup is an emotionally turbulent time, and he will need your support and understanding. I'd suggest waiting a while, deciding where he is going to live, and all the other aspects of his life, then deciding upon a dog once things have stabilised for a while and the worst of the hurt is over.

A greyhound ticks all the boxes except size. Even the smallest greyhound could barely be called a medium sized dog let alone small.

goldie_diameter.jpg

OH MY GOD I could TOTALLY see Paris Hilton with one! lmao

Whippets can take a day or so off if you can't exercise them, or Dog forbid it's raining!

They are people dogs and I have never worked while having mine, so not sure on that, but he would need to make sure the dog could get out of hot or cold weather - a dog door would be perfect - as they don't do well at all with the cold and don't like the heat much either.

They are quiet, sleep 23 hours a day if left to their own devices, they do lose hair, but it is certainly not everywhere and if I notice them losing a bit of hair on my clothes I go over them with a Zoom Groom and problem is solved.

My OH (Who likes bull breed dogs) is totally sold on the Whippets and said the other day why would you want a different type of dog.

They are the perfect lap and smooch dog, love following you around, just don't step backwards because you hurt their toes, and love being with people.

People have had them successfully in small places and apartments so down sizing a yard would not be an issue.

There are some lovely older pups and young adults in the DOL pages and they are very reasonable prices as well.

ETA my dogs love ALL other dogs and due to the fact they are fairly light they play well even with smaller dogs. Ours have never ran into or bowled my old Stafford and if they did they would hurt him badly. They have sailed over him a few times, but never made contact.

Now you've sold me on a Whippet :thumbsup: There are two in the park (one absolutely gorgeous black one as well) and they're extremely gentle with other dogs, look so elegant and I love watching them run.

I must admit when I was researching them( it took a while as I wanted to be cetain and I knew of someonne with 3 that were very very naughty!) I was very very happy with what I heard about them. I had always admired them, but liking how a dog looks and what they are like to live with and be quite different!

After getting my puppy I have to say I was impressed and as they have gotten older and we added an 8 mo they have far exceeded my expectations. Our male I think is smoochier than our bitch, he would like to get inside your skin, she loves snuggles but can actually sleep on the lounge and not have to be touching someone.

I was worried about recalls and them nicking off. I have trained for good recalls from day dot and they are brilliant. I wouldn't have them off lead near roads or anything like that, but both do beautiful off lead work and can walk around the farm off lead with no worries. In town they are on lead.

I covet a Black and white Whippet and would love one one day :thumbsup: Just need to buy a new lounge first!

goldie_diameter.jpg

Wow - that is probably less space than my pugs take up! But then they like to sleep diagonally on the bed leaving me teetering on the edge :thumbsup:

I actually think it may be too early to get a dog. If this man is , as you said, recently become single, then I think probably a little more time to work out what his life is going to be like would be a good idea. It sounds to me a little like a few aspects of his life may change over the near future (this is the impression that I am getting). It would probably be better for all concerned if he kept himself free of commitments like getting a dog so that he is free to choose whatever he likes. As you know, getting a dog is a real long term commitment. Is it really the right time to make a commitment like this? Even if the dog would make him happy, that doesn't mean he should have one. Post breakup is an emotionally turbulent time, and he will need your support and understanding. I'd suggest waiting a while, deciding where he is going to live, and all the other aspects of his life, then deciding upon a dog once things have stabilised for a while and the worst of the hurt is over.

Thank you for your concern. I have already discussed these issues with him and rest assured that he will not be adopting any animal without being well aware of the commitment it is.

I have seen a couple of very petitie adult female greys and they curl up as above, so space wise don't take up much.

I do like the greys - I might try to organise for him to meet one when he is in Adelaide next, but there are a lot of options that I need to run past him as well. He loves pugs but as with the cavies and the min Schn. he cannot have one in the event he decides to continue work for a bit longer. The shar pei may appeal to him as may a few rescue dogs I have been suggested...

I also want a GAP dog and a tibbie!!!

PH, we have the best of all....own tibbies, live next door to greyhounds, & our tibbie used to be the small dog tester for the GAP greys.

We went to a council Doggie Day recently....piles of dogs there. My tibbies started to get all excited & wagged their tails. Like they do when they see another tibbie. But it wasn't a tibbie....it was a greyhound, wearing the distinctive green collar. I asked the owner....'Is that a GAP adopted greyhound?' He said, 'Yes!'

Not entirely all about me....the greyhound was compact size, very like grandma Jenny who lived next door! :thumbsup: Mother of a Qld sprint champion.

By the way, our neighbour works solid hours as a public servant & his greys are perfectly happy all day. On the dot of 5.20 pm. his lovely grey Princess, comes to the side fence, where she can see people coming from the train station. Her 'dad's' train gets in at 5.30 pm.

Edited by mita

I also want a GAP dog and a tibbie!!!

PH, we have the best of all....own tibbies, live next door to greyhounds, & our tibbie used to be the small dog tester for the GAP greys.

We went to a council Doggie Day recently....piles of dogs there. My tibbies started to get all excited & wagged their tails. Like they do when they see another tibbie. But it wasn't a tibbie....it was a greyhound, wearing the distinctive green collar. I asked the owner....'Is that a GAP adopted greyhound?' He said, 'Yes!'

Not entirely all about me....the greyhound was compact size, very like grandma Jenny who lived next door! :mad Mother of a Qld sprint champion.

By the way, our neighbour works solid hours as a public servant & his greys are perfectly happy all day. On the dot of 5.20 pm. his lovely grey Princess, comes to the side fence, where she can see people coming from the train station. Her 'dad's' train gets in at 5.30 pm.

Oh that is sweet

But you say there are 'greys' - will a single grey be okay alone for a 7.6 hour day (oHs dad is also in the PS :mad)

Depends on the grey PH - and Gap would match that type of grey to him.

My Patch would be quite content alone whereas Lilly would have a complete meltdown.