Agility Training Talk Thread

I've just woken from my study coma and just wanted to say :thumbsup: I'm back! The dogs are DEFINITELY happy that my exams are over! They were starting to get cabin fever! I can't wait to see what the dogs give me during our first session back! They're gonna be a liiiiiiiiittle OTT, I think! :D

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The look on her face when she did it first go was so funny, she looked like she was concentrating so hard :eek: What a pro :cry:

I shouldn't underestimate what my Moo is capable of :mad

Lots of work to do still on getting them 100%, same with Ruby's. But at least both of them have basic 12 pole weaving skills now :confused:

Hi

I am a first time Agility person with a Kelpie.

Starting to do Clicker Training with my girl.... and also am trying to teach weavers.

I see a RubyStar has had luck :D with wavers - Well Done!!

Can you all let me know what method is best to teach weavers???? and how long should I expect it to take????

Also if I am going to use a clicker, I am assuming that I don't click each pole... so is it worth using the clicker?? or just use my voice for the correct poles whilst learning, then use the clicker when she's got the idea?? :thumbsup:

Interested in your opinions.

Thanks

The look on her face when she did it first go was so funny, she looked like she was concentrating so hard :D What a pro :rofl:

I shouldn't underestimate what my Moo is capable of ;)

Lots of work to do still on getting them 100%, same with Ruby's. But at least both of them have basic 12 pole weaving skills now :thumbsup:

Hey - I will take Ruby for remedial dogwalk training and you can do remedial weavers with Soggy -

Deal or NO Deal

Hi

Starting to do Clicker Training with my girl.... and also am trying to teach weavers.

I see a RubyStar has had luck :D with wavers - Well Done!!

Can you all let me know what method is best to teach weavers???? and how long should I expect it to take????

Also if I am going to use a clicker, I am assuming that I don't click each pole... so is it worth using the clicker?? or just use my voice for the correct poles whilst learning, then use the clicker when she's got the idea?? :thumbsup:

Thanks

There are many ways to teach weaving that are successful. One that is growing in popularity and being talked about here a lot is Susan Garrett's 2 x 2 method. To do this one, your dog needs plenty of drive (preferably for toys and tug in particular) and a good history of shaping. As a handler you need to be proficient in shaping to get the most out of this method. She has a great DVD out which outlines the steps to train this method, which I suggest you watch if you plan on training this method as it can be a bit confusing otherwise.

Some other methods include:

Slanted pole/V-weaves - slanting the poles at an angle to make it easier and you slowly straighten them up as the dog gets the idea and learns the weaving motion

Channel method - offset the poles so that they create a channel for the dog to run through the middle of, slowly close the channel as the dog gets the idea and learns the weaving motion

Use of guides/physical barriers

3 poles to teach entries

Hi

I see a RubyStar has had luck :rofl: with wavers - Well Done!!

Thanks

I think a lot of methods work well and have seen dogs who weave well and weave poorly from just about all methods. I like both the 3 pole method and the 2 x 2's with a preference for that. (To be fair I haven't used any of the others :D ).

I wouldn't be using your clicker for training anything other than VERY precise behaviours like perhaps a nose touch or targetting (amongst other things). It is hard to click at exactly the right moment when teaching weavers/jumping etc so placement of reward is IMO more important than timing of the marker.

Also, don't forget - 1 click = 1 reward. Very hard to do on multiple poles and impossible to get a good flow going.

Hope that helps.

The look on her face when she did it first go was so funny, she looked like she was concentrating so hard :D What a pro :rofl:

I shouldn't underestimate what my Moo is capable of ;)

Lots of work to do still on getting them 100%, same with Ruby's. But at least both of them have basic 12 pole weaving skills now :thumbsup:

Hey - I will take Ruby for remedial dogwalk training and you can do remedial weavers with Soggy -

Deal or NO Deal

You know what, if you are serious, I would gladly do that training trade. But can you throw in teaching see-saw as well? :)

Hi

I see a RubyStar has had luck ;) with wavers - Well Done!!

Thanks

There are many ways to teach weaving that are successful. One that is growing in popularity and being talked about here a lot is Susan Garrett's 2 x 2 method. To do this one, your dog needs plenty of drive (preferably for toys and tug in particular) and a good history of shaping. As a handler you need to be proficient in shaping to get the most out of this method. She has a great DVD out which outlines the steps to train this method, which I suggest you watch if you plan on training this method as it can be a bit confusing otherwise.

Slanted pole/V-weaves - slanting the poles at an angle to make it easier and you slowly straighten them up as the dog gets the idea and learns the weaving motion

Channel method - offset the poles so that they create a channel for the dog to run through the middle of, slowly close the channel as the dog gets the idea and learns the weaving motion

3 poles to teach entries

Thanks Kavik and to Agility Dogs for your help.

I must admit I have been trying the 'Barrier' way and she was doing it so quick and easy...but the minute I moved the barrier the slightest bit, it was confussion all round - She seems to notice the slightest changes :rofl:

I will maybe try the V-Weaves :D and see how that goes.

Yes Agility Dogs your right about the clicker thing - thats what I was thinking - if one click is one reward how do you use this for weaving??? You can't!

How long roughly would you say it takes to learn weavers? (I do understand each dog is deffierent - just after a ball park figure to aim for - mainly to know if I am rushing her or not)

Thanks guys.

I personally don't like barriers/guides - tried them with Zoe and she didn't understand what to do when the barriers came off even though I did it slowly. V-weaves works well, she understood it then :thumbsup: and combined with 3 poles for entries is how I taught Kaos as well.

Hi

I see a RubyStar has had luck ;) with wavers - Well Done!!

Thanks

3 poles to teach entries

Thanks Kavik and to Agility Dogs for your help.

I must admit I have been trying the 'Barrier' way and she was doing it so quick and easy...but the minute I moved the barrier the slightest bit, it was confussion all round - She seems to notice the slightest changes :rofl:

I will maybe try the V-Weaves :D and see how that goes.

Yes Agility Dogs your right about the clicker thing - thats what I was thinking - if one click is one reward how do you use this for weaving??? You can't!

How long roughly would you say it takes to learn weavers? (I do understand each dog is deffierent - just after a ball park figure to aim for - mainly to know if I am rushing her or not)

Thanks guys.

You are right - depends on the dog and the amount of time you have to put into it, their learning experience and how well the method you choose is suited to your dog.

My girl picked it up in about 4 months from start to trial (open) standard, my boy is 3 years on and still struggles. (Long story, doesn't bear repeating.)

Will be interesting to see how long my pup takes when she starts, but I have a feeling it will be quicker again. The key to teaching it (like anything) is to set small goals and achieve and proof them before you move on. Lumping or asking for big improvements in a hurry is one of the best ways to 'break' a dog's performance. (A small part of my boy's problem.)

In terms of what method to use, I like the 2 x 2 method becuase you are not really part of the process so it gives the dogs the ability to weave independently without the confusion of fading things like barriers etc. Again - I can't compare results, but I like the concept of teaching independence from the word go.

I also second the 2 x 2 method. Our club trains this although we also watched the dvd with our trainer as a club get together.

Get the DVD and understand the way it works before starting. There are some small rules or finer details which are vital to know.

I tried a few other methods previuosly at another club but nothing worked like the 2x2 did. This was with my fairly laid back kelpie x ? (something smaller). Took a while as he isn't that drivey. He had to weave for his dinner nearly every night for ages. But now he can get in them unaided, from lots of places even sending from about 6 poles past the entry back to the entry. Sometimes he even softly barks waiting to be sent to weave. If someone had of said he could do this, I would never have beleived it.

Sometimes we just use more sets of 4 or 6 poles and make it faster and entries more difficult.

I think with a kelpie it would be a good method. I must admit I used the 2x2 with my fairly timid velcro foxy x chi too but drive for anything wasn't happening. I tried for ages but then in desperation I changed to a 3 pole method I found in CleanRun which she liked better. Once she got one set of 3 poles , basically we just kept adding 3 poles. Easy and now she can zoom thru as well. However with this method, the entry is not so independant and the dog has more sideways motion. But she goes in both sides and is accurate. Over time she is getting faster and straighter.

So all methods can work, it is just picking what suits. For a normal enthusiastic dog I wouldn't go past the 2x2.

And as Agility Dogs says - it is all about reward placement. Our trainer nearly smacked us all till we got it right.