Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else doing the Happy Hurdle courses from Ann Croft?

Such a great idea thumbsup1.gif,every week on a Wednesday, she posts a course on her Ann Croft Agility Coach facebook page. Then people all over the world post clips of their attempts. Very interesting to see the different handling styles & choices.

The courses are mostly very challenging, but well worth breaking down.

Here is our latest attempt...I found it a very challenging course & needed to break it down before I could put it together, even though Trim is an experienced dog. Just did bits & pieces with the pups smile.gif

Edited by Vickie

Such a great idea thumbsup1.gif,every week on a Wednesday, she posts a course on her Ann Croft Agility Coach facebook page. Then people all over the world post clips of their attempts. Very interesting to see the different handling styles & choices.

Here is our latest attempt...I found it a very challenging course & needed to break it down before I could put it together, even though Trim is an experienced dog. Just did bits & pieces with the pups smile.gif

Great work Vickie....I doubt if I would be able to remember a course like that :laugh: I love the way you can put Trim into the weaves, then run off to the other side of the field & she doesn't pull out. How did you teach that ?? I love watching you & Trim work together :)

Nice work :thumbsup: I have them all printed off but have only done bits and pieces at the moment as my area is so dusty and dry and has parts I don't want to run on - what is that green stuff you were running on, LOL.

Had a giggle looking at the weaves as I had written on the side of my course map - 'this one is good for working on leaving in the weaves and moving off to getting where I need to be' - which is exactly what you did so thank you for that great demonstration!

I am hoping to set one up on the last week of club training (we have a 10 week block and only 9 weeks are 'planned' at the moment) and get everyone to video each other's attempts- hopefully I get to have a go too then instead of instructing all the time.

Seems to be a lot from Australia having a go looking at all the videos. They are fun courses.

Edited by kelpiechick

Great work Vickie....I doubt if I would be able to remember a course like that :laugh: I love the way you can put Trim into the weaves, then run off to the other side of the field & she doesn't pull out. How did you teach that ?? I love watching you & Trim work together :)

Thanks Sheena, you would definitely be able to remember it if you broke it down :). That's what I did.Re weaves, just lots of proofing I guess + the fact that she's been weaving for nearly 8 years laugh.gif.

Thanks Sheena, you would definitely be able to remember it if you broke it down :). That's what I did.Re weaves, just lots of proofing I guess + the fact that she's been weaving for nearly 8 years laugh.gif.

Oh...thats good..that means I have something to look forward to. My girl & I have only been doing agility for a couple of years, so we have a way to go yet...you make it look sooooooo easy :laugh:

Nice work :thumbsup: I have them all printed off but have only done bits and pieces at the moment as my area is so dusty and dry and has parts I don't want to run on - what is that green stuff you were running on, LOL.

smile.gif The green stuff arrived a couple of weeks ago, thank goodness. I was starting to worry about my dogs legs going down the massive cracks that were forming icon_smile_mad.gif
Had a giggle looking at the weaves as I had written on the side of my course map - 'this one is good for working on leaving in the weaves and moving off to getting where I need to be' - which is exactly what you did so thank you for that great demonstration!

Actually I probably left her too soon, she slowed down a bit as I had to decel for the 2nd jump after weaves cause I got there too early.

I am hoping to set one up on the last week of club training (we have a 10 week block and only 9 weeks are 'planned' at the moment) and get everyone to video each other's attempts- hopefully I get to have a go too then instead of instructing all the time.

Sounds like a good plan!

Seems to be a lot from Australia having a go looking at all the videos. They are fun courses.

Yes, heaps of Australians :). Seems we are starved for ideas laugh.gif

Edited by Vickie

I have done some happy hurdles at training - at first when they set one up I walked it and thought it should be called horror hurdles :rofl: but once I ran it I actually really enjoyed it - was a fun challenge. Didn't realise there was a page about them, will check it out

Hudson did some fantastic work this week at training!

He is comfortable on the A-frame which I must admit I was a little nervous about, and we are SO close to getting our serpentine!! He is just so fast. We also did a bit more work on sending away and distance and I was SO proud of him! He did it like a little star!

Weaves... well, we still have HEAPS to work on! Need to get my butt into gear quickly!

Having another training run on tuesday morning, will bring out the video camera! Promise you guys won't laugh too hard at us? :p

That was awesome, Vickie! Looked fun and quite challenging.

E+H, can't wait to see you guys in action. Sounds like you're both having a ball! That's how I'm feeling training Pippa lately :) If pie ever comes back to Thurs training, I'll have to ask nicely for her to film Pippa doing a short sequence!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I forgot to bring the camera to training this week! (bad trainer!!)

He did well though, we ran our first full length jumpers course and on our 2nd attempt (I got lost on the first on, and he did a quick run around the ring all excited...) he only missed 1 jump which was my fault.. so that was pretty great!

He also learnt the chute which was great!

We have started the 2x2 weaves again at home. Session 1 today and he did great, getting some tough entries. Glad I gave him a break and came back, he really seems to get the 'go between the poles' thing now! So happy with how he is going.

First trial on 9/10 March! Excited and nervous all together! We will definitely ready for JD at this stage, see how we go for snooker + AD. Entered, but will take him out if he can't do it in time.

Bit of a brag from us as Jovi got her JDX on the weekend with a 2nd place :D

Very pleased and a little scared that we are now in Masters though and I've been trying to put it off for awhile, as we have gone from novice to masters in 3 trials, nearly done it in two but I got lost :o Even on the weekend we only had one run in excellent (single trial) and she goes and kicks butt :p

Mindy got her JD and SPD title today! These are our first titles so very happy!

Thanks heaps to Vickie who has helped us sort out a few problems with her jumping and of course mainly my handling lol

Well done!! 2 titles on 1 weekend - great effort, especially for your first titles :)

Mindy got her JD and SPD title today! These are our first titles so very happy!

Thanks heaps to Vickie who has helped us sort out a few problems with her jumping and of course mainly my handling lol

Missed that one - :thumbsup::thumbsup: Great effort! And well done coach Vickie :wave:

Hope I'm not out of place here. I'm wanting to take the children to watch some dog agility shows. We've never seen it before and would love to just go along and see what it's about. We're in country WA, can anyone point me in the right direction to find out some dates and places where we can view some events?

Hey good thanks - which part of WA are you in? There are agility trials held in bunbury, Albany, and geraldton - unfortunately that's it for country agility trials.

If you go to dogswest.com there is a calendar of events on the right hand side :)