Agility Training Talk Thread

The pup class is a great idea! :) Wish there was something like that here. Good luck :thumbsup:

I got 'The Focused Puppy' from agilityclick.com which is in QLD. They have a fair bit of stuff on there its pretty good :)

There is. Gawler runs one.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my club once you pass the first 8 weeks of beginners class you go can go into the foundation agility class. I think the only thing they test is if your dog is good with other dogs which I don't have to worry about that :) They wont take puppies younger then 8 months though. I cant wait to start the class but first I should prob try and pass beginners class first :laugh:

So our training isnt coming along too fast at the moment. Ive hit a standstall with weaves (Im teaching Susan Garratts method). he is doing some great entries, and getting them when they are on the angle but once I move to straight he just doesnt get it. Our instructor at classes has come up with a method to hopefully help Hemi get some drive.

I have enrolled in some private lessons, first one is Saturday. I cant wait.

I have entered Jumping at the Royal, but may just go along for CCD.

Edited by RoxyNHemi

I found this on youtube and thought this could be useful to some. It has given me ideas on what foundation things I could be doing even though I don't have a puppy. I get a better idea of what I should be doing if I can see what it is I should be doing if that makes sense :laugh:

Way to go! :D See you there - I entered the little black ninja :) Haven't trialled her since the States so I'm really looking forward to getting back out there again with her :D

So are you saying you're not going to enter the jumping anymore? You're entered now, why not just give it a shot? :)

No obedience for me at the Royal. Did it one year and Millie literally got stage fright when she realised she had people staring at her, so I am not ready to face it again just yet laugh.gif

I found this on youtube and thought this could be useful to some. It has given me ideas on what foundation things I could be doing even though I don't have a puppy. I get a better idea of what I should be doing if I can see what it is I should be doing if that makes sense :laugh:

Fantastic!

Way to go! :D See you there - I entered the little black ninja :) Haven't trialled her since the States so I'm really looking forward to getting back out there again with her :D

So are you saying you're not going to enter the jumping anymore? You're entered now, why not just give it a shot? :)

No obedience for me at the Royal. Did it one year and Millie literally got stage fright when she realised she had people staring at her, so I am not ready to face it again just yet laugh.gif

Well Hemi decided to show me that we CAN do jumping (and with speed) last night at training. We had a course set up, and he ran it brilliantly. I just really need to play with him lots and just keep running.... Or instructer has dropped us to 200 for the time being to try to get Hemis drive to really kick in, and once he gets it, will raise him back to 300.

RS - I am having some private lessons, and will see how they get us along regarding actually competing at the royal. I will actually LISTEN to my instructor as to if we are ready or not.. I entered a trial a little while ago and it was a MAJOR failure.

I think we've done all the weave training we can manage! For the last week we have trained twice a day, every day, in 4 different locations working on entries with me running, me still, rear crosses, calling through, and with 1 jump there (I can't carry more than 1 jump and 6 poles down to the park lol). Weaves were looking spectacular at training this week at club, and this weekend we have the trials for the team to represent our are at nationals. Think we'll give weaving a rest tomorrow & Friday, and hope some of it sinks in :) If we miss all 8 weave entries this weekend, I think I give up :laugh:

It worked! Elsie nailed all 8 weave entries (and the whole weaves FWIW!) yesterday! She had some moments of brilliance and got her first agility clear round, and a win :) It wasn't a proper competition as it was the Zone Team trials, we didn't quite make the team, but had some great runs and I am definitely feeling better about agility now!! Some photos too :)

1151009_10151805866089111_678364254_n.jpg

1234364_10151805862024111_1806274348_n.jpg

1098435_10151805862114111_1028696595_n.jpg

969076_10151805862384111_1817196484_n.jpg

1233568_10151805862259111_1392979423_n.jpg

Congratulations DD :cheer: What a lovely reward for effort :thumbsup: I love the pic of Elsie weaving - she gets really low down!

I really enjoyed running the dogs at yesterday's trial - we were all relaxed and fresh and the cool weather added an extra ZING! The first 2 Masters Jumping and 1 Master Agility runs were in the same ring and the courses were tight, twisty and not really what we were used to. Zig ran beautifully, got me out of trouble once or twice and ran clear in all of them. Unfortunately the time on the JDM courses was very quick for a tall dog on a tight course (4m plus/s) and we just missed on a Q. We weren't alone, though - there were only 3 or 4 passes out of more than 70 entries in each JDM run! Made time by a country mile on the ADM course, though, and came 1st in 600 height and 4th overall out of around 60 dogs. Then it was 2 ADM courses in the afternoon - should have nailed the first one but I managed to pull Zig off a jump right in front of him by dropping my shoulder just a little too much :hitself: Of course he did all the hard bits :laugh: Nailed the 2nd course though (it was nearly twilight when we were running) and came 4th in 600 height. Em ran the best she has in aaaaaages - so glad I pulled her out of agility - it has taken the pressure off. She ran like a little thing possessed, handled like a race car and really concentrated on keeping the jumps UP. I did an awful rear cross in the first JDX run and pulled her off a jump, thus blowing our chances there, and she misjudged a couple of take-offs in the second course and brought some jumps down. SUPER attitude and she is getting much faster....which is a little scary!!!

Had a chance to do a little bit of agility training with the misguided missile today ..in a howling gale. Did a bit of UD training first .. Directed jumping ..did some nice stuff, in spite of the agility gear being not too far away. Then some practice in only going to a contact when directed there :-) ..starting to make some headway. Discovered his weave entries were affected by alternate poles being striped .. Got the entry when the first pole was striped, but not when it was a plain pole and ether second pole was striped. Who knew? And huge trouble trying to stay in the poles when there was a contact as the next obstacle . But i guess it's a good training session when you can pinpoint holes. :-)