Agility Training Talk Thread

]E&H ... Hudson is looking good out there - really enbjoying himself, which is the bottom line.

Weekend of agility for us just finished - very small trial but lots of fun in the centre of the island.

I'm so happy with my little feral girl - who will be 12 on Thursday. First trial of the year, and I entered her with the proviso in my mind that if she seemed like she didn't want to run, she wouldn't have to. So ... 11 runs for the weekend for her - only 1 DQ (all time record, I think - and that was DQ by a short nose - the nose she stuck into an off course tunnel), a couple of course faults in a couple of runs, but otherwise clear - although over time on some .. and ... an ADM Q (1st place - out of 3 :laugh: ). For your Monday enjoyment, here she is running SPDM with her friend Lucy ... the girls had a heap of fun - we were 2 seconds over, but for their age they did pretty well - and Kirra had to over achieve, taking inactive obstacles on our way to our next place.

TSD, the misguided missile, Mr Rory, was doing some quite nice stuff in between a distinct lack of impulse control at times. I'm still not fast enough with my turning cues either. Reading what you said to E & H, I was feeling a bit guilty, because I did restart the weavers - for him that's an impulse control measure. He was actually getting his entry most of the time, but themn not able to contain himself to keep weaving. With the restarts, he did give me some full sets of weavers, which for him, with the smorgasbord of attractions out on course, was huge. I do redo the table as well - impulse control again. I don't take him back over other contacts though = just make a note to do more work in training when I get the chance.

Also for your enjoyment, here's Mr Rory having fun with tunnels .... complicated by the fact that both the judge and the videographer are his very, very good friends - even more distractions. My bad on the sloppy second front cross - I sent him to the off course tunnel - bad handler. Not sure what happened with the spread - it was like he just didn't see it ...

ETF typo

Edited by Tassie

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with TSD about not repeating what he can't do, just keep running and make speed your goal first and get the accuracy later (speaking from experience here also - something I wish I did more of) - it will come - he looks fantastic and like he's having a blast, love those fluffy Aussie bums hehe :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

On front crosses - someone pointed out to me once that if you are running harder to get in a front cross sometimes that can backfire, because your dog thinks you running harder = me speeding up so you can never get there :laugh: (this can be remedied by raising your opposite arm to warn them it is coming I guess) Now I have learned it's more about where you are positioned but that's easier once you know he will commit to jumps and you can get a bit more distance. I don't tend to do rears with Trix (she just never really got them :laugh: ) So for her it's about thinking ahead about where I need to be on course and trusting her to do things (easier said than done :p )

Hope you stick with it I really think you guys will do great :thumbsup: Woohoo!

Edited by pie

Monday night training is back on for 2014 & I have a pretty keen advanced class. :) It was suggested that I put up the Monday's training on the web, so that they can look at it during the week & those with equipment can practice what they might have had trouble with. So this is what I have done & if any body here is interested in having a look they can access the link here Monday's Challenge/Exercise. It's only meant as a bit of fun & the challenge to me is to keep them coming each week. If it doesn't get updated, then it either rained and our class was cancelled or I have run out of ideas :laugh:

Thanks everyone for the advice :) I have been trying very much just to run with him and have some fun, the jumpers course we did after this was just like that.. very quick and I was running as fast as I can! My silly dog likes jumps instead of tunnels though and pulled off a tunnel to do a big lap of the course doing zoomies, but when I got him back we made 17 obstacles only missing the last jump on the finish as I just could not run fast enough to support him for the last jump! So Contacts, weaves and "go on" will be the things to work on in training in the next month.

I really appreciate the help and support guys :) I get a little discouraged sometimes because of how long it has taken us to get here, and the fact he still takes off to do zoomies or visit other dogs, but I also see moments of brilliance where I think somewhere we are doing the right thing!

Being able to train with a club for the past few months has made a huge difference in our training, can't wait to learn how to handle him better! Maybe I will have to figure a better way of handling direction change with him. Once the courses are not quite so fast and straight lines I think I will have a better shot, but for elementary/novice they seem to be much more straight lines.

Don't be discouraged E&H - all dogs are different and some take longer to mature than others! Particularly if those breeds are known to be clowns haha! You'll get there in the end and so long as you are both having a blast that's all that matters at the end of the day! Plus he is super handsome! :thumbsup: :laugh: Glad you are enjoying club training, I think it makes a big difference and I do miss structured classes now that I don't do them.

Elise - Dog training is about the journey not a race to a perceived finish line - keep having fun with Huddy and the rest is icing on the cake. Says she who is missing the journey never mind icing on a cake :(.

Yeah it has really helped with my handling, getting to see how other people handle is great! But its also helped so much working with Hudson in a distracting environment and still getting him to work for me. I could not have done that 6 months ago at all, he had to be on lead with other dogs working close by or he went to visit!

I will keep at it for sure, this is my first dog so its all a big learning curve for me. First dog showing, first dog to train at all and I had no prior agility experience - only had horses prior to now!

He is a clown that is for sure :) And thank you, I think he is gorgeous too, particularly now he almost has all his hair back after the scare with his paralysis tick in October.

But I really do think our relationship is improving as he matures, I am sure only better things to come from here.

:laugh: Hudson and Rory rolled in together would make awesome agility dogs. Rory is a total contact and tunnel suck. And don't worry about slow maturing - Rory is nearly 5 and a half - and I am starting to see glimmers of maturity ... off in the distance :laugh: . (No, seriously, I am loving the relationship he and I have now - it's not completely without holes, but it's developing all the time as he gets that he has to cooperate with me or the game stops (briefly). That I can do because he's quite a hard head in some ways (though soft as butter in others).)

So glad you're developing that improving relationship with him - once they get that the game is played with you in the ring, you're well on the way in all disciplines - and I'd say Hudson is getting that pretty well - and that will build all the time from now.

Had another amazing session with Zeus tonight. He has such a natural talent for anything I seem to throw at him and coupled with a huuuuuuge zest for learning and drive, he really is a dream dog! :heart: Zeus is probably one of the smartest dogs I've ever had the pleasure of seeing and I'm so proud he's mine!

His focus tonight was beyond amazing, he didn't run off, nor was distracted by the smells or other dogs around him. We need to work on the weavers but his contacts are spot on -- right down to the point where he can just hoon over the A-Frame or Dog Walk and I don't have to worry about him missing the contact at the bottom. Tonight he didn't miss a beat!

I need some handler training for myself though -- I'm still trying to work my way around the course, turning and making sure I'm on the correct side to line Zeus up with the following obstacles. He's very good at looking to see where I'm going and there was one instance I almost tripped over him because he'd come over to find out what to do next and I was so busy concentrating on what came next I didn't see him. I managed to stay on my feet so that was a bonus!

Will have to see if I can get the brother to come to next week's session to shoot some video -- I'd love to get some pointers and for you guys to see the Zeusling in action!!!

I can't say just how much I absolutely :heart: my gorgeous boy!!

Maya did her first lesson in Agility tonight and we had a blast! I was pleased with her focus, she only tried to entice a couple of dogs to play and was paying quite good attention. However she was on-lead the whole time of course. We're only doing it for fun - not to compete - but it does worry me because she isn't reliable offlead and the park is not fenced, she'll never be able to do it offlead.

Interesting observation.......about words.

I've always used Greg Derrett and always moaned about the fact that Xena is sooooo forgiving and if I'm late she'll turn herself inside out to squeeze over a jump or into a set of weaves or whatever while CK just completely ignores late cues and does the obstacle that he has picked.

With words all that has changed. Last night I was late with a couple of cues and he almost bent himself in half to get into a tunnel or to go around a jump a couple of times.

AMAZING.

I'm more and more realising the virtue of movement based systems, when they are team with really well taught virtues. I didn't think I'd ever say it, but.......

I had another great session yesterday with Sarah. To start with she did a perfect circle of 4 jumps and a tunnel completely off lead. Kinda went downhill from there though, she didn't want to go through the tunnel so we spent a lot of time on that. I have a video of her playing with me a bit but I my internet is broken so I can't upload it. :(

here's Sarah playing with me instead of going through the damn tunnel, so funny watching her barely go in the tunnel and run out behind me, most of the time I didn't realise until I'd almost got to the other end :p

Hey everyone, I was hoping for some opinions on agility training and the agility club I had recently been going to.

I originally started doing agility with my dog up in Townsville with TOADS, and I was a big fan of all the people up there and their training methods. My dog, Loki, can sometimes get to too high of an arousal state and lose track of what she's suppose to be doing, and they were always really helpful in helping me get on track. We ended up having to move, but I was able to find a new agility club in our new town.

Sadly, I don't know how I feel about this new club and was wondering how you all felt about how they reacted to a situation that happened during a training session a few months ago. I was working Loki off lead doing some jumps, I think, when a dog started barking off in one direction. She got distracted by the noise, I tried to refocus her, but she ended up focusing on a little Dachshund that was part of our class. I'm very ashamed to say she lunged the little dog, who then slipped her collar and started running around. The little dog started shrieking and my dog continued to chase her. I was attempting to call my dog back when nearly every person at the club started screaming, running after her, and one even attempting to hit her with one of the metal jump stands. I am sure my dog couldn't hear me over any of that, and any chance I had of getting her back under control was lost. Eventually the little dog ran close enough that someone was able to pick her up, everyone was still screaming at my dog, making threatening gestures towards her, and some were still swinging things. The Dachshund was completely unhurt physically, though I'm sure it was traumatizing for her.

So, my question is: is it unreasonable of me to think that this was a completely incorrect response to the situation? I am so ashamed of myself in not recognizing that my dog was too wound up to be off lead at the time, and I in no way am saying I, or her, were not in the wrong. But, I feel if I had been given even a moment more, I might have been able to call her away before it all fell apart so terribly. I know the little dog was making terrible noises, but my dog never once bit her, picked her up, or pinned her. I believe she was mostly attempting to herd her, which I know is still wrong and inappropriate, but I didn't think it warranted the response it got. Once I finally had her, I was in tears and she was terrified of nearly everyone in the class. Even now, I feel awful and on the verge of tears, months later.

Maybe I'm being unfair because it was my dog, and everyone reacted in a reasonable way, I just want some opinions. The woman who had been doing the classes ended up moving away and it looks like they've gotten a new person to do the agility classes and I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt it again. We've mostly been working on our own, with recall, staying focused, as well as agility training.

Sorry for the super long post, but I have lost a lot of my confidence since that indecent and I could really use some feedback. Thank you for reading.

post-39475-0-43915800-1394170655_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone, I was hoping for some opinions on agility training and the agility club I had recently been going to.

I originally started doing agility with my dog up in Townsville with TOADS, and I was a big fan of all the people up there and their training methods. My dog, Loki, can sometimes get to too high of an arousal state and lose track of what she's suppose to be doing, and they were always really helpful in helping me get on track. We ended up having to move, but I was able to find a new agility club in our new town.

Sadly, I don't know how I feel about this new club and was wondering how you all felt about how they reacted to a situation that happened during a training session a few months ago. I was working Loki off lead doing some jumps, I think, when a dog started barking off in one direction. She got distracted by the noise, I tried to refocus her, but she ended up focusing on a little Dachshund that was part of our class. I'm very ashamed to say she lunged the little dog, who then slipped her collar and started running around. The little dog started shrieking and my dog continued to chase her. I was attempting to call my dog back when nearly every person at the club started screaming, running after her, and one even attempting to hit her with one of the metal jump stands. I am sure my dog couldn't hear me over any of that, and any chance I had of getting her back under control was lost. Eventually the little dog ran close enough that someone was able to pick her up, everyone was still screaming at my dog, making threatening gestures towards her, and some were still swinging things. The Dachshund was completely unhurt physically, though I'm sure it was traumatizing for her.

So, my question is: is it unreasonable of me to think that this was a completely incorrect response to the situation? I am so ashamed of myself in not recognizing that my dog was too wound up to be off lead at the time, and I in no way am saying I, or her, were not in the wrong. But, I feel if I had been given even a moment more, I might have been able to call her away before it all fell apart so terribly. I know the little dog was making terrible noises, but my dog never once bit her, picked her up, or pinned her. I believe she was mostly attempting to herd her, which I know is still wrong and inappropriate, but I didn't think it warranted the response it got. Once I finally had her, I was in tears and she was terrified of nearly everyone in the class. Even now, I feel awful and on the verge of tears, months later.

Maybe I'm being unfair because it was my dog, and everyone reacted in a reasonable way, I just want some opinions. The woman who had been doing the classes ended up moving away and it looks like they've gotten a new person to do the agility classes and I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt it again. We've mostly been working on our own, with recall, staying focused, as well as agility training.

Sorry for the super long post, but I have lost a lot of my confidence since that indecent and I could really use some feedback. Thank you for reading.

I actually had this happen to me last year but I was on the other end of it, my dog was the one chased screaming around our training grounds, non of the people at my club reacted the way the people did at your new club so I feel that they all over reacted & you should have been given more of a chance to call your dog off.. however I cannot say enough how traumatising this event was for my dog & it took nearly 12 months to get him confortable around dogs again.. to boot I'm sure it was traunatising for your dog to be threatened with the jump poles, I just wonder where the instructors were during all this.. though I'm sure all everyone thought was that if your dog actually caught the little dog it would have been all over for the little one.

one technique my instructor has used to break that kind of behaviour was to have a choker chain in a bag (not for use on dog) but to throw on the ground near the dog, the noise should be enough to break the dogs attention from other dogs or something not you (I hope that makes sense) I've seen it work in a case similar to yours, where the dog has taken off after another & the instructor threw the chain down on the ground wich caught the chasers attention enough that it allowed the owner to regain control of her dog..

I actually had this happen to me last year but I was on the other end of it, my dog was the one chased screaming around our training grounds, non of the people at my club reacted the way the people did at your new club so I feel that they all over reacted & you should have been given more of a chance to call your dog off.. however I cannot say enough how traumatising this event was for my dog & it took nearly 12 months to get him confortable around dogs again.. to boot I'm sure it was traunatising for your dog to be threatened with the jump poles, I just wonder where the instructors were during all this.. though I'm sure all everyone thought was that if your dog actually caught the little dog it would have been all over for the little one.

one technique my instructor has used to break that kind of behaviour was to have a choker chain in a bag (not for use on dog) but to throw on the ground near the dog, the noise should be enough to break the dogs attention from other dogs or something not you (I hope that makes sense) I've seen it work in a case similar to yours, where the dog has taken off after another & the instructor threw the chain down on the ground wich caught the chasers attention enough that it allowed the owner to regain control of her dog..

Thanks for the feedback and tips Kazhak. I hope you're little dog is doing better now and hasn't had anymore scary run ins. I'm waiting to hear back about if agility is being done here and I may ask them if they've put in any new policies. My dog absolutely loves doing agility and I would hate to feel like she had to miss out because I made a mistake. I've heard about the loud noise technique to break a dog's concentration, I'll give it a shot as well.

Thanks again