Troy Behave Paste

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Willow

I found it to have absolutely no effect on my dog, but I know others who swear by it. It's harmless....the worst that will happen is nothing, but you might see some improvement.

What has Troy been doing wrong??????

my thoughts also... and any hints on how to administer?????

H

I was thinking something along the lines of pressing Control and then V at the same time... Just wehere to put the paste and what to copy :thumbsup:

Guest Willow
Thaks Willow, I can always use it for me lol! if it has no effect!

It smells lovely....like molasses :wave::thumbsup:

I have used in the past a horse product containing Tryptophan called Be Calm. You need to use it regularly (I put it on each feed) it worked really well. Have not used it in ages now but got one of the dogs through a silly stage. It is a powder I got it from a horsey store.

I havent used these pastes in regards to dogs,but I have used similar things with horses. The thing with them is that they only work if the animals is lacking in these vitamins. Ohterwise it will have no effect!!

The best thing that I have found to work in horses is a product called Mag-E. Nit sure if there is a similar product for dogs, but i would look into this.

A little background - l-tryptophan is an amino acid which the body uses to produce serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter. It is thought that deficiencies of this neurotransmitter result in anxiety and anxiety related disorders. Some of the B vitamins are also involved in neurotransmitter production.

There is a dosage window for l-tryptophan. If you have too little or too much as a percentage of total aminos available to the brain then it doesn't make it through very well. If you have an excess of the larger aminos it won't make it through. One way to get around this is to raise insulin just enough to send the larger aminos off to build muscle, repair organs and that sort of thing. Another way to get around this is to supplement so that total % of tryptophan in a meal is above 1.5% of all aminos in the protein.

Other factors are natural sunlight to the eyes (which regulates the cycle of production) and exercise (which places demands on the larger aminos).

If you have a dog who is not producing enough serotonin for whatever reason, then a small meal containing some carbohydrate to raise insulin with a tryptophan and B Vit supplement can help. It will not change learned behaviour but it may change the affective behaviours (emotional states) that lead to unwanted behaviours and anxiety.

Behave paste is good, but I make up a powder containing 50:50 "Good as Gold" (from horse feed suppliers) and Brewer's Yeast. This is mixed with a small amount of oats, boiling water, olive oil (also psychoactive) and an egg, given in the morning with a little dry food for palatability. Curtains are left open in the room in which the dog's sleep, and I make sure they get enough exercise, social contact etc.

My GSD is a wreck if she misses 3 days of supplement. Within 2 days of supplementation she is better again. With her it is very noticeable and friends can reliably guess whether or not she has had her supplement based on her demeanour at training. I have a client with another GSD (different lines) who also responds similarly.

As other posters have mentioned a trial will not harm your dog and may do some good but do not expect to see large changes in learned behaviour. If I recommend this protocol to clients I have them objectively measure things such as whining in certain situations, sleeping patterns (should see more sleeping in dogs), and other signs of anxiety. If these measures improve we know we're on the right track. Dosage is an individual thing, start with 1tsp of Good as Gold for a GSD or similar. Allow a couple of weeks to notice changes although it can work very quickly in some cases.

A little background - l-tryptophan is an amino acid which the body uses to produce serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter. It is thought that deficiencies of this neurotransmitter result in anxiety and anxiety related disorders. Some of the B vitamins are also involved in neurotransmitter production.

There is a dosage window for l-tryptophan. If you have too little or too much as a percentage of total aminos available to the brain then it doesn't make it through very well. If you have an excess of the larger aminos it won't make it through. One way to get around this is to raise insulin just enough to send the larger aminos off to build muscle, repair organs and that sort of thing. Another way to get around this is to supplement so that total % of tryptophan in a meal is above 1.5% of all aminos in the protein.

Other factors are natural sunlight to the eyes (which regulates the cycle of production) and exercise (which places demands on the larger aminos).

If you have a dog who is not producing enough serotonin for whatever reason, then a small meal containing some carbohydrate to raise insulin with a tryptophan and B Vit supplement can help. It will not change learned behaviour but it may change the affective behaviours (emotional states) that lead to unwanted behaviours and anxiety.

Behave paste is good, but I make up a powder containing 50:50 "Good as Gold" (from horse feed suppliers) and Brewer's Yeast. This is mixed with a small amount of oats, boiling water, olive oil (also psychoactive) and an egg, given in the morning with a little dry food for palatability. Curtains are left open in the room in which the dog's sleep, and I make sure they get enough exercise, social contact etc.

My GSD is a wreck if she misses 3 days of supplement. Within 2 days of supplementation she is better again. With her it is very noticeable and friends can reliably guess whether or not she has had her supplement based on her demeanour at training. I have a client with another GSD (different lines) who also responds similarly.

As other posters have mentioned a trial will not harm your dog and may do some good but do not expect to see large changes in learned behaviour. If I recommend this protocol to clients I have them objectively measure things such as whining in certain situations, sleeping patterns (should see more sleeping in dogs), and other signs of anxiety. If these measures improve we know we're on the right track. Dosage is an individual thing, start with 1tsp of Good as Gold for a GSD or similar. Allow a couple of weeks to notice changes although it can work very quickly in some cases.

thank you for an excellent informative post.

Thanks Aiden

I have given the dog some paste and will do for a few days and see how that works before I try the other way.

I can only but try, I do feel most of this is a learned behaviour response ( Due to being in a kennel for 12 months prior to me getting the dog)

Excellent advice and thank you/