I Can't Do It Anymore

Kirty

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry kirty :)

It is hard when you have tried your best to prevent it. I have felt so angry at Jet a couple of times for things he has done.

I know of a GSD who has caused a lot of damage to her owners fences because she is that strong she has destroyed them.

I hope you can find the answer soon.

Ok imagine your garage caught fire... that's what happened to your stuff. Or any alternate way of looking at it.

I get very attached to my stuff too, chronic hoarder. But sometimes I wish I could let it all go. Uni notes I'm looking at you.

The cat food would still smell like cat food even if the bag was sealed tight, they pack it in a factory full of cat food - the smell would be on the outside of the bag as well as the inside and probably permate through the bag as well. Not sure that's why he wanted to get in there though.

Somehow you have to make the garage an unpleasant place for him to be in, so he doesn't want to go in there. Find out what smell he dislikes and lace the place with that. And tastes. Crib stop?

He definitely reads like a candidate for a heavy duty cage/run, sedatives, and maybe the attention of a skilled behaviourist for retraining.

Radio Fence and Collar?

have the wire run around the shed so he can't access it.

He'll get a small kick out of it, you can increase or decrease the strength.

This does work well with some dogs.

I don't care about some of the stuff. But all the other items I need for my rescues - cat collars, bulk cat food, paperwork, etc. All the fabric I use to make show curtains and donut beds - thats all wrecked. Our garage is set up like a games room - there's a pool table, couches, rugs, etc. He has pissed on the legs of the pool table and on the computer and the rug, pulled the cushions off the couches and pissed on them, etc. If he had just eaten the cat food I could understand it. I just don't get why he has to ruin everything.

Radio Fence and Collar?

have the wire run around the shed so he can't access it.

He'll get a small kick out of it, you can increase or decrease the strength.

This does work well with some dogs.

I have one at home and one at the beach house.

I really recommend them if people are willing to follow the instructions and actually show the dog how it works.

Could he have some kind of OCD? the way you explain it is as though he can't help himself. Just a thought. 8 is rather a ripe age to be doing these things. If he can chew thru a garage door, I doubt a crate would keep him in.

I'd be seeking some professional advice in the way of a behaviorist/trainer.

I don't care about some of the stuff. But all the other items I need for my rescues - cat collars, bulk cat food, paperwork, etc. All the fabric I use to make show curtains and donut beds - thats all wrecked. Our garage is set up like a games room - there's a pool table, couches, rugs, etc. He has pissed on the legs of the pool table and on the computer and the rug, pulled the cushions off the couches and pissed on them, etc. If he had just eaten the cat food I could understand it. I just don't get why he has to ruin everything.

You're projecting. Clean up, move on.

I'm allowed to vent Sheridan. I have owned this dog for 8 years and tried to do the right thing for him. I think I have put up with a lot more than many dog owners would with his antics. I'm just over it.

I feel for you.

When I got my first boy he lasted one night with free run of under the house and from then on was in a crate when inside at night.

Why? Well I got up that morning to find the washing machine dragged halfway across the floor and the cord chewed off, a hose chewed up, boxes destroyed, washing powder everywhere and his bed torn to shreds.

I also built runs in the backyard using star pickets and old weldmesh panels wired together where he was able to chill out when I couldn't supervise him.

I quit while I was ahead and admitted defeat then - he never changed - any time he had free run and I turned my back for a minute something would be destroyed - trees chewed up, dug out, washing off the line, sprinkler munched - even when I thought I'd left nothing for him to wreck.......

I blamed myself, I knew what he was like and if I left him with something I was stupid to think that anything else but total destruction would result.

Sometimes you just have to admit defeat with them - don't get me wrong - I loved him like nothing else and he was the sweetest boy but however little or much I did with him and for him, he was like a cyclone going through.

So looks like Champa has bloat. He has bloated heaps of time before and his tummy has settled on its own, but he is drooling this time which I've never seen in him before so we are off to the vet.

I don't even know where to begin to start cleaning it up. It is so disgusting. Its all ruined. He has wrecked the garage door getting in there. Its all bent, the lock is broken.

I have a dog who is similar....we invested in the Innotek Zone Collar (Legal in Austalia) and no stress since. No training required, just pop the collar on, put the device where you need it and presto.

http://www.dogmaster.com.au/shop/item/inno...pet-barrier-242

For Outside use they also have another device:

http://www.dogmaster.com.au/shop/item/391378

Hoping Champa goes ok at the Vets.

I do have a serious question....did you post just to vent or did you post in hope someone would give you support to rehome him or give him the needle? I don't mean to be rude, I'm honestly curious as to what you we're hoping for, that way it's easier to help you come to a solution....

Edited by sas