Little Pixie's Bryce

tianakaesha

LP, I have never had the pleasure of meeting you or your fur babies but please believe me that my heart is breaking for you right now as I know from being on DOL how much they mean to you. ;)

RIP Little Bryce, you were very loved by your Mummy and she is going to miss you terribly.

:(

Love :p

Riles

Guest LittlePixie

Thank you...

I meant to post something but I just can't put into words what this particular rat meant to me.

He was special beyond belief. My first rat and my favourite which I would always blatantly admit even in the hearing of the others :(

He died with me on my chest which, after nearly 3 years of being my best friend I am really grateful to him for sharing his last moments with me.

Will post something properly later.

In the meantime... run free Bryceybum.

post-19-1106184010.jpg

Guest LittlePixie

Gah. This post makes me cry every time I read it...

Bryce really was special. There was something about him that was just so different to all the other rats I've had.

First time I saw him was at work... he was sitting on a plastic log looking up at me. I asked my coworker Bec "Does he bite?"

"God no," she said. "He's a sweetie."

I put my hand in the tank and he ran up my arm onto my shoulder and bruxed [rat equivalent of purring!]. Later on someone tried to buy him as snake food... I cried and cried at the thought of it and smuggled him home instead.

I've thought several times since this morning of all that I would have missed out on if I hadn't taken him with me that day.

Mum had this skirt with tassels all around the bottom that he really loved. If she walked past him with that skirt on he would bound after her and when she stopped, he'd grab the tassels and roll over on his back to play with them like a kitten.

He was a hit with all of my friends, but he could always tell the difference between them and me (and I have to admit... at the time, I didn't think a RAT would be able to do that). One particular party I had, a friend took him out of his cage, then put him down on the floor and forgot about him. He crossed the entire bottom floor of the house and came to the room where I and several other friends were standing around talking... he passed all of them, came to me, and climbed up my jeans, then my shirt, and settled on my shoulder. Once he was there he was happy and he stayed there for the rest of the night!

He was the most beautifully friendly rat I've ever met. When I brought Chani home, heavily pregnant at 8 weeks old, he sat with her, groomed her head, and taught her not to be afraid of me. I'd put them both on my bed together, and she'd follow him around, really close behind him. He'd fetch her from behind my pillow and lead her over to my lap. She's never been overly friendly but she stopped being afraid of me after Bryce led her to me a few times.

Once she had her babies he was no longer allowed to visit (much to his disgust I'm sure!). The young male babies came to him several times though... even before their eyes were opened. Adult male rats will often kill young male rats... but not Bryce. Bryce would hold their heads between his paws and groom them fanatically between their ears. They all loved him too.

He saw all three of those baby boys through their entire lives. When I found Gryphon in a sad state before I took him to be PTS, Bryce was standing beside him propping him up. When Egan was dying with respiratory problems, Bryce was always there when he had trouble breathing, washing him around his face and sleeping with him on the floor when he could no longer reach the hammocks. When Donoghue was heading rapidly downhill with his own respiratory problems, Bryce stayed right with him and slept next to him for his last few days.

When baby Indi was introduced, as usual Bryce grabbed his head and washed his ears. The other three boys were not as friendly, but Bryce stuck right next to the new baby boy and made sure no harm came to him.

Late last year Tiana found me a gorgeous little girl called Ellie to breed him with. They had seven big chunky babies. Bryce adored them as much as he adored Chani's litter. When the bubs had just learned to walk, I took Bryce out to meet them all. At that stage his back legs had stopped working, but he lay down and bruxed happily as all the little terrors climbed all over him and chewed on his ears.

Although his only two daughters have died (new owner's dogs got them :p ), his five sons are doing wonderfully and have the same incredible temperament. Briar and Bramble are still with me and although I've lost my Bryce, there's still parts of him in those two brats to keep my hands full. :(

He was just wonderful.

He was always so bouncy and healthy... never had a sniffle in his life... it seemed like nothing could kill him. ;)

Last night when I went to feed them all and took him out for a cuddle, he was cold. When I held him under my neck, he didn't wriggle around like he usually did... just snuggled in and lay there, trying to brux but he was too weak.

I wrapped him up in a fleece hammock and sat with him until the wee hours of this morning. I was finding the concept of MY BRYCE dying harder to accept last night than I was today... both Tiana and Jack talked me through that until the hysteria had died down... I finally went to bed at 2am with him in a carry cage next to my head. He was quiet until 10:30am... when I heard him thrashing. I pulled him out and he lay on my chest.

His breathing slowly got worse. At 10 minutes to 12 he tingled all over and stopped gasping.

And then my baby boy was gone.

Am not expecting anyone to actually read all of this... just felt that a lot of it, I had to say.

Knowing this rat enriched my life and those who didn't know him were truly missing out.

He was a beautiful soul who will always be loved and missed.

Bryce

05/2002 - 20/01/2005

post-19-1106204926.jpg

Am not expecting anyone to actually read all of this...

OMG, this had me in tears Lisa ;) I hadn't ever thought a rat could be this way, now I understand why people get so much enjoyment from their company. Bryce certainly sounds very special, I am so sorry that he's gone hun.

Big hugs :( :p

I was fortunate enough to meet Bryce.

I am privileged to live with two of his sons.

I would have loved to have taken his daughters. Flynn would have liked that. I wish I had.

The bitter taste of tears will be with many of us for a while.

He was more than just a rat. He was a friend. He was your soul mate.

Guest LittlePixie

Had an awful gut-wrenching moment when I went out to feed the others and Briar came running out to greet me. I thought for a moment there he was Bryce.

He looks so much like his dad at times.

Sigh. This is going to take an awful lot of getting used to.

(This is Briar, with Bryce caught in the middle of shaking his head at the camera... haha... goofball.)

post-19-1106214964.jpg

post-19-1106214964.jpg

Guest LittlePixie

And I meant to say thank you to everyone who has posted on here or contacted me through msn.

It really means a lot. Thank you.

Particularly you, Tiana. Today would have been that much harder without you.

I read it all too LP. It made me cry. I have only had a little bit to do with rats and I didn't know they could be like this either.

Bryce sounds like he was an absolutely wonderful boy and I am really feeling for you. I hope Bryce's sons help to ease the pain and give you special memories of your beautiful boy.

Wendy

:mad I read your post right through LP, and had to choke back the tears.

I have always had a menagerie of pets, and no matter what species they are, sometimes you are honoured with one who's soul already knows you, and so special they are. all our love and hugs,

fifi & crew