Do You Have Dogs That Look Identical To Each Other?

Moselle

A friend of mine has two westies, they are littermates. They look so identical that I struggle to guess which is which, in fact I simply cannot! I think I would have a hard time being able to know which was which if they were mine. I would have started with a different coloured collar on each one and after naming them, relying on the fact that they would respond to their own name and that is how I would tell them apart.

I will post a photo of my friend's westies later as I am about to visit and will take piccies of them then.

I don't personally but when I worked with guide dogs we got three black litter mates back from their walkers and they were identical. Put different collars on them to tell them apart and of course one of them removed the collar from the other two. We messed about for 15 minutes trying the name thing and we think we got it right - their names all started with the same letter so it wasn't 100% ideal. We're pretty sure we got it right, but I always wondered :) After those three had been in training for 10 days I could have told them apart walking away from me in a storm. You get to know your own kids/dogs/cats/goldfish/horses even when others don't.

Being the owner of 2 westies myself (both male) - I am always being asked if they are twins! :confused::rofl:

I can tell them apart no problems. However, I never really understood why people couldn't tell them apart until I met a woman who had 2 female westies ..... I struggled to tell them apart! :rofl:

It was only after meeting this woman's 2 westies that I understood why people couldn't tell mine apart. ;)

:confused: I got confused by my coolie and my recent foster cattle dog

they were both the same size and more or less the same blue colour on their back and if I looked down quickly at them would call by wrong name.

when we were growing up we had two tri coloured shetlands sheepdogs, now they to us were nothing alike but everyone else thought identical.

Being the owner of 2 westies myself (both male) - I am always being asked if they are twins! :D :)

I can tell them apart no problems. However, I never really understood why people couldn't tell them apart until I met a woman who had 2 female westies ..... I struggled to tell them apart! :laugh:

It was only after meeting this woman's 2 westies that I understood why people couldn't tell mine apart. :o

Good one, westielover :laugh:

I've got 2 youngish GSDs, both about the same size and very similar colouring. I don't have any trouble telling them apart during the day but once it starts getting dark its a different story!! :D I have on occasion, called them both over to see which one mouthes my hand because only one of them does it and then I know who's who!!

After putting in an order for Aussie with my breeder, my Mum wanted a little Ruby aswell and ended up with Aussie's brother whom she named Ricky.Two years on they are virtually identical except Aussie, my boy is a little broader in the head and has a little more feathering on his ears.Even if they are sometimes impossible to tell apart by looks though, their personalities are extremely different.Aussie is a very outgoing dog, very confident where as Ricky his brother is very quiet and I would think he might have been the bottom of the pecking order in the litter as Aussie has it over him all the time.

When they are together and playing I have to look at the collars to tell them apart and we always have to double check collars before leaving eachother's properties as a couple of times I've accidently put Aussie in with Mum and Dad's other Cavs.

I have put this pic on the cav thread before but this pic shows Aussie and Ricky together.

post-34151-1279011119_thumb.jpg

My dogs are all different but I have two brown Burmese cats that no one can tell apart except for my husband, daughter and myself.

To us they look completely different....they are boy and girl for a start, and the boy looks like a boy...big, boofy head, solid frame, boyish face...the girl is small and pretty and dainty.

I can tell from a distance which one is which, others can't even tell when I put them side by side.

Being the owner of 2 westies myself (both male) - I am always being asked if they are twins! :D :)

I can tell them apart no problems. However, I never really understood why people couldn't tell them apart until I met a woman who had 2 female westies ..... I struggled to tell them apart! :laugh:

It was only after meeting this woman's 2 westies that I understood why people couldn't tell mine apart. :o

I can tell yours apart :laugh:

People are always asking how I know which dog is which. I have 12 pugs and theya re all extremely different to me.

My last litter I had 5 black girls. As they got older 3 of the girls were very hard to tell apart so I had to write 1,2 and 3 on their bellies so i knew who was who.

A friend of mine adopted two shelter dogs that have grown to look like brother and sister, I can only tell them apart by their collars!!! They're both cross breeds too!

Wat do they say ......you look like u'r pet & husband & wife do look alike :drink:

My current dog looks soo much like a dog I owned for 18 yrs I sometimes call her by that dogs name. I feel ashamed but it happens.

Yeah,I had a Yorkie & she was so much like the last one in the end called her Gidgit as well (too) & very often forgot she was not Gidgit 1,so similar in nature & looks....like a clone

post-28996-1279025446_thumb.jpg

post-28996-1279025478_thumb.jpg

and daughter!!

When I glance at them, I can't tell them apart, BUT when I take the time to look at the white :drink: no, take the time to actually look at them, I can tell them apart!

Edited by bullyfan

I made a huge mistake when I took my cousin and her beagle to pick up their new beagle puppy.

Samson took off running with the other 6 tri-coloured adult beagles and when it came to wade into the fray and take him back home, we had no idea which one he was.

It was a whirlwind of black, white and caramel brown, swirling in ever-increasing eddies around our feet; ears gaily flapping in the wind, paws tearing up the earth and the same response from each "Samson? I'm not Samson, I think I saw him go that way.." {well that was the general look we got}

Eventually we got him when they all slowed down and went for a drink and he looked mightily guilty