Today Tonight Channel 7

bridie

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep most of it was old news to me however there was one bit........the part about the irradiation of all the overseas made dogfood coming into Australia!! :thumbsup:

They are unsure as to whether it really is 100% the Orijien food or if it is the irradiation that caused the problems.

I guess there are a lot of things we don't know or aren't told about dry/canned dogfood. :rofl:

Makes locally sourced dogfood look really good doesn't it!!

Yep most of it was old news to me however there was one bit........the part about the irradiation of all the overseas made dogfood coming into Australia!! :thumbsup:

They are unsure as to whether it really is 100% the Orijien food or if it is the irradiation that caused the problems.

I guess there are a lot of things we don't know or aren't told about dry/canned dogfood. :rofl:

Makes locally sourced dogfood look really good doesn't it!!

Yes it does, but only if the locally made/sourced dog food is actually made well. The problem is IMHO the better, healthier stuff is made in the US - well healthier until it's nuked on it's way here o' course

Might have to stick with Nature's Gift if I buy commercial dog food :o

The thing is, not all imported food is irradiated.

They started the story talking about dog food brands that are found on our Supermarket shelves, but then went on to mention Orijen which clearly isn't a supermarket food. There were plenty of Premium 'vet brands' that were recalled with the Melamine problem. Ironically, it's probably the Supermarket brands that are mostly Australian made and potentially the 'safest' in terms of what they were talking about, yet they made out that the foods on the supermarket shelves are potentially bad!?

So now not only will we have people questioning the 3 year vacc protocol with the 'deadly virus epidemic' but they'll probably also be too scared to buy our Eagle Pack and/or Euk because it's not Australian made, even though we all know it's probably better quality than the supermarket brands.

Stormie - how do you know what food is and isn't irradiated? I'm a big fan of Eagle Pack - hence my concern.

there is an old thread that was started due to the Orijen scandle. Basically, most food isn't irradiated. Orijen was because the meat wasn't cooked (or somethign along those lines). EP isn't irradiated. You can ring the reps to check on all your favourite foods.

Stormie - how do you know what food is and isn't irradiated? I'm a big fan of Eagle Pack - hence my concern.

there is an old thread that was started due to the Orijen scandle. Basically, most food isn't irradiated. Orijen was because the meat wasn't cooked (or somethign along those lines). EP isn't irradiated. You can ring the reps to check on all your favourite foods.

Most of the manufacturers Aussie sites will tell you.

If the food is made of meat products sourced from US FDA approved (ie human grade) sources, AQIS does not require it to be irradiated.

Are all imported foods irradiated or just some?

Our 10 year old male Golden Retriever has been on Hills Science Diet Dry food since a puppy, (touch wood) has never been ill, is still extremely fit and active.

Are all imported foods irradiated or just some?

Our 10 year old male Golden Retriever has been on Hills Science Diet Dry food since a puppy, (touch wood) has never been ill, is still extremely fit and active.

only some. Most isn't. I'm pretty sure Science Diet isn't.

The thing is, not all imported food is irradiated.

They started the story talking about dog food brands that are found on our Supermarket shelves, but then went on to mention Orijen which clearly isn't a supermarket food. There were plenty of Premium 'vet brands' that were recalled with the Melamine problem. Ironically, it's probably the Supermarket brands that are mostly Australian made and potentially the 'safest' in terms of what they were talking about, yet they made out that the foods on the supermarket shelves are potentially bad!?

So now not only will we have people questioning the 3 year vacc protocol with the 'deadly virus epidemic' but they'll probably also be too scared to buy our Eagle Pack and/or Euk because it's not Australian made, even though we all know it's probably better quality than the supermarket brands.

FYI Euk is being sold at my local Big W, think just small and medium breeds at present.

I thought it was more to do with food that was irradiated.

Which most if not all has been recalled.

Candidae was one, another that was recalled was Nutro - that is now made in Australia.

Has Canidae been recalled? There's plenty available on Australian websites. Is it now made in Australia?

I am not sure about the Canidae, i know that Nutro Natural Choice is now made in Australia

WTF was with the Dane/Bloat lady?! To claim that was linked to the food??!!!

Not a bad story all round, and some nice eye candy with Justin :p

Wasn't a fan of the way they said you're safe with 'Australian' at the end, just because something's made here, doesn't mean the ingredients are sourced here.

The fact of matter remains that we have not had any pet food recalls responsible for the death of thousands of dogs here in Australia. I would not touch any commercial food from overseas no matter how super premium it is considered! You would think that after the last recall the american pet food manufacturers would have learnt their lesson but no such hope! It seems like China has to step in and ruin everything for pet owners, simply because they charge peanuts for anything and everything they do due to overpopulating! it isnt enough that they take pleasure out of inflicting pain for millions of dogs every year!

Edited by Moselle

You need to check the country of origin on the pack.

A lot of these foods including Nutro natural choice and Advance (Mars) are made under licence in Australia from (mostly) Australian ingredients.

But if you want info on recalls for the USA made stuff there are these two websites.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

The only thing that the news segment did for me is make me glad I chose to feed raw :rofl:

SO TRUE :D Would not consider anything else.

but if you're not feeding human grade it isn't inspected to the same standards as human food (and people have told me horror stories about parasites in dog grade food)?

I feed a combination of nutro and raw - all my raw is human grade.