Buying A Sbt Pup

hi everyone im just new here.i was going to post this in the breeders forum but couldnt.i just have a few questions if you dont mind me asking.

me my husband and 3 kids used to own a staffordshire bull terrier female for 14 yrs that passed away a couple of mths ago and are now looking for another.

we are in qld in rockhampton.

i found a add for some in nsw and have viewed pics of the parents and papers and puppies and have fallen in love with one in particular of the pups

the lady who is selling them is quite good and seems very nice she has offered to take the price of freight out of the cost of the pup.not that we minded paying freight.

there is a few questions i needed to ask those with more experience however

firstly i asked the lady about testing for diseases and she said that she was sold them clear by birth.do i need to view certificates or something to prove that.

secondly the pups dont come with a microchip as she has told me she was told it is better to wait until they are 12 weeks to do nthat is this ok or do you recomend asking for the pup to be microchipped

thirdly and the most important is i asked about her prefix and she said that she had sent her exam away and was told that it would take 3 weeks to come back

however the pups are already nearly 2 weeks old.

will these pups be able to be papered or does she have to have a prefix before the pups are born :confused:

sorry for all the questions just want to make sure we do the right thing and end up with a papered pup

besides that the babys are gorgeous and we dont want to fall in love with a pup that isnt what we want

thanx everyone

firstly i asked the lady about testing for diseases and she said that she was sold them clear by birth.do i need to view certificates or something to prove that. Yes. If she was sold a bitch that is clear by parentage, she should at the very least be able to provide a copy of the bitch's parents clear results. The same with the sire. Anybody can SAY that their dogs are clear by birth, but until you actually see paperwork, it isn't wise to believe them.

secondly the pups dont come with a microchip as she has told me she was told it is better to wait until they are 12 weeks to do nthat is this ok or do you recomend asking for the pup to be microchipped There is absolutely NO reason why puppies cannot be chipped prior to 12 weeks. Mine are done either at or before their 8 week vaccinations.

thirdly and the most important is i asked about her prefix and she said that she had sent her exam away and was told that it would take 3 weeks to come back

however the pups are already nearly 2 weeks old.

will these pups be able to be papered or does she have to have a prefix before the pups are born :rofl:If she has told you that the puppies will be registered then personally, I would not be handing over any money until they actually are. It is still quite possible that she can register the puppies, even though they were born prior to her prefix being approved. People can and do apply for a prefix when they submit their puppy registration applications but to safeguard yourself, I'd be waiting if at all possible.

Run!! Away!! Now!!

If she doesn't have a prefix BEFORE the pups are born, then she won't be able to register them.

NSW law requires all pups to be microchipped at point of sale - BEFORE going to new homes.

If she can't (or won't) provide health certs for both parents, then I'd be looking at another breeder who will...

T.

It is a legal requirement for breeders in NSW to microchip their puppies BEFORE they are sold.

Other than that I agree with Ellz. The breeder must be able to provide copies of the DNA results for the parents if they claim the puppies are normal/clear for any condition by parentage.

If they have applied for a prefix then the puppies can still be registered when it comes through but that may take some time. Breeders need to submit 10 options for their prefix and if they are all rejected they have to keep submitting names until they get one. You usually get one of the first list but sometimes it can take 3 or 4 submissions before a prefix is granted. Each one taking several weeks. I would be a bit worried about why they waited until the bitch was due to whelp before applying for a prefix. It doesn't indicate someone that has put a lot of thought into breeding a litter.

There is also the possibility that they have not applied for a prefix and are lying to you, so I would not be handing over any money until the puppies are registered.

I also would be running away from this breeder. It is law in NSW that all puppies be microchiped before they are sold. I would also be worried that she doesn't have a prefix maybe she has applied for one maybe not you have to be very careful these days.

hi agan everone thank you for your replies

i will ask the breeder again about microchipping and will asl ask is its possible to view copies of pups grandparents test results

i have just looked at the listings and might email a few of the breeders on there as well to keep our options open we hadnt looked on here the add we found was on petlink

shes a gorgeous pup the one we have fallen in love,but i really want to do the right thing by ourselves and our new family member

our last stafford was brindle and we are really wanting a red girl this time around although we are open to the idea of a red male as well

thanx everyone :rofl:

I think I saw a red pup available in QLD on those listings.

I would ditch this breeder altogether, what she is saying just doesn't add up.

Good luck with your search, I am sure it will be well worth it :rofl:

I made the mistake of just believing what a breeder told me rather than looking at papers (which in the end I found out don't exist). I got a dog who was diagnosed with hip dysplaysia at 6 months old. I also found the breeder had left town without telling anyone when I went to tell her about it.

It's simply not worth it when there are so many reputable breeders who will be honest and are able to provide all proof their dogs are of sound health.

There are lots of reds around these days I'm sure you will get a sweetheart.

Be sure to see the clear by parentage certificates or DNA test results (my breeder was interstate but scanned originals to email). Also make sure they are a house raised litter. :rofl: Ask the breeder what experiences they provide for their pups from birth to eight weeks.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I forgot to mention too...... My own litter of puppies that were born in November were "clear by parentage" as are both parents, although the sire was DNA'd as well because he won a DNA test profile as a trophy so his owner decided to take advantage of it anyway. I included copies of his test results, as well as the results of my girl's parents in my puppy information folder.

These days, there is absolutely NO reason why every Stafford produced cannot be sold with either their own individual test results or copies of their parents' test results and I would run very quickly from any breeder who could not produce them.

RUN!!! Definately some reg flags there!

There will be another beautiful puppy for you to fall in love with, its hard but think with your HEAD not your heart :rofl:

Make sure you come back and post pics of your puppy when you get it!! SBT puppies are such cute little chubbas!

The breeder may well be legit, but given the fact that SBT's are not a particularly rare breed and that there are some very good experienced breeders out there it may be better to look elsewhere -to someone who is already registered, experienced, will microchip (depending on the state laws, as this is not expensive and is something that you can always do yourself if need be at puppies next vet visit), health tests and/or can show you copies of the parents papers and health certificates :rofl:

It seems to me that she has bought a male and female with the intent of breeding them, and hasn't put much thought into this.

Even if she agreed to now microchip the pup it would bother me that she is not aware of her legal obligations to microchip in NSW. If she was developing a breeding plan with an experienced mentor in the breed they would have taught her this. Have the puppies been vaccinated? A vet in NSW would know that puppies need to be microchipped prior to sale, so they would have been pushing for microchipping when they vaccinated.

It wouldn't bother me if some one hadn't had a prefix very long (everyone has to start some where), but frankly there is plenty of time to organise a prefix before the puppies are on the ground.

It just sounds to me like it was a case of whacking two dogs together to produce a litter - not very well thought out.

hi again everyone,i think i will have to have a serious talk to my children and hubbie tonight and explain what has been said here like i said im just looking out for whats best for us and our new pup.a dog is a lifelong commitment.i want to make sure we get the right dog.

also another question i have the breeder is talking about keeping a female from the same litter and putting her father back over her.is this done a lot.i know a lot of people have different opionions on this

also another question i have the breeder is talking about keeping a female from the same litter and putting her father back over her.is this done a lot.i know a lot of people have different opionions on this

No, it is not done a lot. It is not uncommon for a sire and a dam to share some common ancestors, however, this close a mating is extremely uncommon. Occassionally in the past these types of matings have been done by extremely experienced breeders who understand the 'lines' behind these dogs and who are striving for a particular outcome, and often where the gene pool is very small (not the case with the SBT). Clearly, this person is not an experienced breeder, and I would struggle to understand why it would be necessary to undertake such a risky mating (the closer the mating the higher the risk of getting some nasty recessive condition come through) in a breed like the SBT where the gene pool is quite large. Most breeders strive to put their bitches to the best dog for that bitch, and often that dog is owned by some one else. In this instance I really feel that this person wants to use the father over the daughter just because that's what they have in their yard.