Recommendation For Breeder Websites.

Parkeyre

My partner and I have recently acquired our breeder's prefix and are proud to announce our kennel name; "Parkeyre".

Although it was our third choice; it has quickly grown on us. Especially myself as it's a name deprived from my surname; Parker,

and my place of birth as I was born on the Eyre Peninsula, in which we currently reside.

I would really like to get a website up and running with information and photos of my foundation dogs, contact information, available dogs/puppies and future litter plans etc. I'd also really like to have the website be www.parkeyre.com or as near as possible.

Can anyone recommend someone that can design the site, including the basic ideas of what I want, and can either update it or make it so that I can update it myself at my leisure? It would also be appreciated if the webmaker can design logos appropriate to the breed.

Regards, Bonnie.

Edited by Parkeyre

Why don't you put one together yourself? I did mine on webs.com easy to do as i am a total computer dunce! www.beanara.co.uk

Thanks. :thumbsup:

I've now purchased my domain name and email. :thumbsup:

Slowly getting there! :thumbsup:

or you can also purchase them from Troy on DogzOnline.

I have done this and it is very easy to keep updated all the time myself.

Its also very reasonably priced and there is several formats to use. I have seen alot of breeders who have done this. :rofl:

Thanks. :(

I've had a DOLer approach me with some examples of what she's done, I'm very excited and should be able to show it off to everyone in a while. ;)

Free websites:

Pros - Free, you can design yourself either online or offline and upload using a program like Dreamweaver, Go-Live, Frontpage. Scripting is generally done for you behind the scenes if you use their templates. Some are very easy to navigate

Cons: Ads and Banners on your page that you do not have a lot of choice of, Long url addresses such as http:\\freewebs\folder\username\page1.com - these are a lot to give out to people and remember. Also search engines are harder to find these so hits take longer to register, possible less traffic to your website. Sometimes limited server space, especially for photos and I have found with one, you can only access a couple of pages before getting error messages from the server saying the page has reached limit for day and to come back later - It was a free Yahoo hosted website

Private websites:

Pros: You design your website as per YOU want it, No ads, more control, you choose your own URL such as http:\\www.mystiqviewbcs.com, some have basic templates you can use or you design your own website on Dreamweaver or the such and upload.

Cons: You have to register Domain Name and maintain Domain name, some hosters will let you pay per year/two years. Or you pay with others for the domain name up front (may still have to maintain a yearly fee). I renew my domain name every two years. Shop around for hosting. Some are really cheap and don't offer the back of house assistance needed if something happens. Others you pay a heap for features you don't or will never need.

As far pages: your layout is up to you. Keep it simple. Make it quick to load. Some people out there are still on dial up and if your website takes ages to load, they will get fed up and move on. It also needs to be simple to navigate and read. As for Frames vs No Frames, it is up to you on that one.

Forget music. Its sounds crap and most consider it really annoying. Same goes with things like falling snowflakes and mouse trailers. They also take time for your website to load.

Free websites:

Pros - Free, you can design yourself either online or offline and upload using a program like Dreamweaver, Go-Live, Frontpage. Scripting is generally done for you behind the scenes if you use their templates. Some are very easy to navigate

Cons: Ads and Banners on your page that you do not have a lot of choice of, Long url addresses such as http:\\freewebs\folder\username\page1.com - these are a lot to give out to people and remember. Also search engines are harder to find these so hits take longer to register, possible less traffic to your website. Sometimes limited server space, especially for photos and I have found with one, you can only access a couple of pages before getting error messages from the server saying the page has reached limit for day and to come back later - It was a free Yahoo hosted website

You don't necessarily have to have ads and banners etc.

http://breilla.wordpress.com/

Short domain name, free wordpress blog... and I have had sooooo many people comment about how nice it is and how easy it is to navigate. :)

freewebs has changed so you can now have an address like www.mydomain.webs.com for free which is hardly difficult to remember! or for a small fee you can loose the ads and use your own domain - this is still a lot cheaper and more flexible then Troys templates (sorry troy!)

DOL's very own Allerzeit is excellent for creating websites - doggy and non doggy. She setup ours for us, and I just do the updates myself.

She is very reasonably priced, efficient and I am very very happy to recommend her :laugh:

I paid the upgrade for the freewebs website and also a domain name.

It's pretty good I think.

My website hotashellamstaffs.com is still a work in progress. I need to resize all the pics to make the page load quicker but it gives you an idea on what you can do yourself.

I used Frontpage to build the site and had pretty much no web design knowledge.

I've just done a new website using the DOL template, I'm very happy with it. I loved my old website but it was so hard to update as I had to pay for each update and I find it so much easier to update and change pics myself for no cost but the outlay of around $80 per annum

Edited by Bokezu

Free websites:

Short domain name, free wordpress blog... and I have had sooooo many people comment about how nice it is and how easy it is to navigate. :)

Took ages to load though :(

Not all free sites have ads/banners. Some are still getting around that do. Personal preference and it does pay to dig around. When I first designed my website, it was pretty much that way, so went straight to hosting. Never gone back, so have not looked recently at the free ones.

I know of a few who still have heaps of pop ups and banners cause I am forever shutting them even with pop up blockers.

I used to be with MD webhosting in Melbourne, now am with Smartyhost.

Frontpage great for those starting out. It does everything behind the scenes for you and did my first version on it. When I took over the Victorian Breed Club's website, I had to learn Dreamweaver as that was what it was written in. I have used Dreamweaver now for 5 years and would not go back.

Each to everyone's own.

I have two sites with Host Chunk ($2 per month each for very good bandwidth + $11 for a domain name) and one with VentralIP (free domain + $4.95 per month) and am very satisfied with the hosting services.

My sites I do myself. Mostly handcoded but if I can't be bothered with the coding, I use either Frontpage Express (the freebie version of Frontpage which was available with IE4 and doesn't add extra code to sites) or a new program I found recently called PageBreeze which is very similar to the Frontpage Express program.

I do all of my own graphics etc with Corel Paint Shop Pro X1 (on my desktop) or Corel Paint Shop Pro X3 (on the laptop).

Apart from the hosting, all it really costs me is time.

Free websites:

Short domain name, free wordpress blog... and I have had sooooo many people comment about how nice it is and how easy it is to navigate. :laugh:

Took ages to load though ;)

That isn't because of the page, it's because I have loaded it with a lot of video and photos that are a mid-quality file. That is personal choice. If people put on smaller resolution files and no videos, it will load up pretty damn quick. Wordpress is one of the largest web platform providers in the world and the interface is used for some pretty amazing websites - I just use the free version though. The paid version can be viewed in my link in my signature.

Anyway, my site takes a while to load due to photos and video. That is my choice, I do this for a few reasons -

1/ humans are visual creature - they love photos

2/ I'm a photographer - I like photos

3/ I KNOW I sold my last litter way easier than previous litters because of the website. I had WAY more enquiries than any other litter and I had my choice of QUALITY puppy purchasers. Every person who contacted me was asked for feedback (because I ask our work clients the same questions also - I did it out of habit. ;) )

and the feedback was,

* loved your site, it looks so nice

* It was so easy to navigate your page

* The photos are amazing, so much better than other sites we looked at (okay, I know that I have an advantage here but good quality images make a HUGE difference to people's perceptions of you)

* It looks like you put lots of work into your site

* You look very professional

* I like that you have regular updates about your dogs and it's current. Lots of sites we looked at were outdated and had old information. (Updates are EASY PEASY with a wordpress blog)

* Other sites were a mess. Yours was clean.

Worpress is also great for generating more traffic to your site. The google bots love it. :laugh: