Ringworm?

Dame Aussie

Was just brushing Lili and found what feels and looks like dry skin or a scab attached to a little bundle of hair, then I found another one :laugh: They're only very small, and aren't bothering her, it's like she has had a scab and it has grown out with her hair if that makes sense?

First thought was ringworm??

Any other ideas?

Me thinks we might be off to the Vet tomorrow :dancingelephant:

That sounds a lot like ringworm - Elbie had little skin scabs with hair attached, too. Are there any whiteish bald patches of skin? Just in case, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly immediately after touching Lili - ringworm is incredibly infectious. :laugh:

If it is ringworm the vet will probably tell you to give Lili an anti-fungal bath twice a week and apply anti-fungal ointment every day. We were a little bit unlucky with Elbie when we first brought him home because the first vet misdiagnosed his ringworm and said that it was probably just chafing as a result of lying on concrete. It was only the second vet that told us (a week later when we were concerned that it hadn't cleared up :laugh:) that it was ringworm - my OH caught a tiny patch although it was easily cured with ointment.

We had to toss out a lot of Elbie's bedding and thoroughly wash other stuff. It was easily cured though :dancingelephant: I felt sorry for Elbie though because it was getting cold and the vet said to bathe him and make him run around the yard with the anti-fungal shampoo still in his fur for 10 minutes ...

Edited by koalathebear

Was just brushing Lili and found what feels and looks like dry skin or a scab attached to a little bundle of hair, then I found another one :thanks: They're only very small, and aren't bothering her, it's like she has had a scab and it has grown out with her hair if that makes sense?

Any other ideas?

Me thinks we might be off to the Vet tomorrow :grouphug:

Hi, One of mine had ringworm and it did not have a scab, was round red bald patches. If it is ringworm then it can take awhile to clear up. My rescue came to me with ringworm ( we knew he had it before we took him) and it took about 3 months to clear. We used human antifungal cream for ringworm ( ask the chemist). 3 times a day I would wipe over with betadine and then apply cream and 3 times a week I washed those areas with Malaseb, leave on for 10 mins, wash off and dry thoroughly. He was not in the best condition so I believe it took so long to clear because his immune system wasn't so great at the time. We didn't catch it due to being very diligent with washing hands after handling him but one of my other dogs did catch it but on him it cleared up in a few days due to him being very healthy I am assuming. Like with lots of things some people and dogs are more likely to catch it than others. Get on to it early and be CONSISTANT with the treatment. Good luck, hoping you don't have it !

it's like she has had a scab and it has grown out with her hair if that makes sense?

ringworm is not usually scabby like that , IMO. It is usually a hairless patch.. as the hair falls off/out .

She probably does have the odd scab from teeth/scratching .. and yes, your description is perfect!

How big was the scab? Fingernail?match head? Were they close together?

The dogs and I recently got ringworm from to new 2 kittens. The vet was no more helpful except for diagnosing what I already suspected. Malaseb for the animals and antifungel for me. It took at least a month to clear up completely. In fact I ended up using Malaseb on me as it worked faster!

Was just brushing Lili and found what feels and looks like dry skin or a scab attached to a little bundle of hair, then I found another one :) They're only very small, and aren't bothering her, it's like she has had a scab and it has grown out with her hair if that makes sense?

Any other ideas?

Me thinks we might be off to the Vet tomorrow :(

Sounds like she has had a scab and it has grown out with her hair - and yes that does makes sense. Very common in this house, I don't think I even want to know how they get them.

Ringworm (well, every one I've seen, but I won't say always :) ) causes baldness of the affected area and is VERY obvious.

Small nicks cuts and scrapes often show up like this a week to ten days later, they're not big enough at the time to be obvious under the fur.

If your concerned about Ring worm you can pop down to most vets and they have a UV light they shine over the area and it tells them whether its ring worm or not.

For hot spots the best treatment I have found is (dont laugh) haemorrhoid cream, the high zinc content dries it right out.

Edited by KAMS

Molly has had two of these,exactly as you described. Vet said they were small hot spots that were healing.I googles ringworm in dogs and pictures showed hairless patches of skin as ringworm.

Edited by mokhahouse

I think it's worth getting it looked at just in case. Remember that to test for it you really need a skin scraping and culture as the uv lamp doesn't show all cases. The worst thing about ringworm is how long it stays in the environment and how resistent it is to most cleaning agents. It's ok treating yourself and all your pets but if it's still in the environment it is going to continue to reinfect the spores even end up in the air vents. Hope she has just an allergy or hot spots.

Edited by Spitzbabe

We're booked in for tomorrow :) They were flat out today!

I'm thinking it's hot spots or just scratches/cuts, they're pretty rough when they play!!

It's so hard with a dog with long hair, you just don't see anything!

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how we go at the vets tomorrow!

Good luck for tomorrow! I really hope that it turns out to not be ringworm! We were so stressed when the Elbie got it because if it didn't clear up before puppy classes he wasn't (of course) going to be allowed to attend. About a week or so before the first puppy class, he went in for desexing and microchipping and, and not only was the poor baby secluded like he was an outcast or leper, up on the whiteboard they also so circled his name in in red and and wrote RINGWORM in giant red letters. I was so worried that the other puppy parents attending the induction would see it and banish us. Fortunately his ringworm responded very well to treatment and cleared up quickly - it's now long gone. I made this for him at the time.

ringworm.jpg

Good luck for tomorrow! I really hope that it turns out to not be ringworm! We were so stressed when the Elbie got it because if it didn't clear up before puppy classes he wasn't (of course) going to be allowed to attend. About a week or so before the first puppy class, he went in for desexing and microchipping and, and not only was the poor baby secluded like he was an outcast or leper, up on the whiteboard they also so circled his name in in red and and wrote RINGWORM in giant red letters. I was so worried that the other puppy parents attending the induction would see it and banish us. Fortunately his ringworm responded very well to treatment and cleared up quickly - it's now long gone. I made this for him at the time.

ringworm.jpg

Awwwwww, that's so sad :champagne: But funny :)

That's actually disgusting that a vet would desex an animal with ringworm. Ringworm often flares up in animals when their immune system is compromised - they might be sick, going through a growth spurt or stressed, etc. Desexing an animal with ringworm is just stupid. It is risky for other patients in the clinic and will delay healing in the affected animal.

I have had ringworm several times in foster kittens and I use systemic meds and betadine to clear it up. I use F10 on their cages, etc and throw out bedding weekly. It usually takes about 6 weeks to be totally clear of ringworm and you should keep treating for AT LEAST one week after symptoms resolve.

Ringworm usually appears as bald, sometimes scaley, sometimes red round patches. The most common place for an outbreak is the feet and face. A UV light will show up one form of ringworm (the most common - microsporum canis) but a skin scraping is needed to be sure it is not one of the other types of ringworm.

That's actually disgusting that a vet would desex an animal with ringworm. Ringworm often flares up in animals when their immune system is compromised - they might be sick, going through a growth spurt or stressed, etc. Desexing an animal with ringworm is just stupid. It is risky for other patients in the clinic and will delay healing in the affected animal.

Sigh. I shouldn't need to explain but I will. There were reasons it was necessary to desex Elbie at that time - he'd just cut his foot and needed stitches for which anaesthesia was needed because he was a squirmy puppy who wouldn't keep still. They didn't want to put him under more often than absolutely necessary given his age so they suggested microchipping and desexing him at the same time.

He was segregated from other animals, they took every precaution - it was after all their livelihood at stake. Elbie was otherwise extremely healthy apart from the ringworm and cut - the ringworm he picked up from his litter-mates, we saw it on one of his siblings. At that time he was desexed, he had already been on ringworm treatment for a while and the ringworm was almost completely gone. He would not have been allowed to attend puppy classes without a clean bill of health clearing him of any remaining ringworm - and we certainly wouldn't have taken him if there was any risk.

Far from it being 'disgusting' conduct, I really believe that our vet had Elbie's best interests at heart and certainly would not have done anything to jeopardise the livelihood of any other animals in their care - although you of course are most welcome to your views, your choice of words and your tone.

aussie3: didn't mean to hijack your thread. All the very best with Lili :)

Edited by koalathebear

I wasn't having a go at you koala, I was annoyed at the vet. In your case, there were special circumstances so it sounds like the dogs best interests were at heart. But I know of several cases where animals with obvious ringworm were desexed or vaccinated. Its just stupid. Sorry, I get annoyed about stuff like that. If you ever read a vaccination pamphlet, it clearly says only vaccinate healthy animals - yet most vets will vaccinate anything with a pulse. The same goes for desexing. Sorry, rant over. :cry:

I know ringworm is highly contagious, but is it possible for dogs or cats to carry it but not show signs of having it?

Im only asking because when I lived at home I was constantly getting little ringworm spots on my arm (usually just the right arm) I was getting these for years but the cream always cleared it up. I always blamed the family cat who was too feral to do anything with, she was never wormed etc because you would lose a limb if you tried, my mum insisted that it couldnt be the cat because you would see the patches on her, and I never touched the cat. I moved away from home in October and Ive never had a spot of it since, I have my dog with me who has been around for nearly as long as the cat, which is about as long as Ive been getting ringworm for. Do you think its possible I was getting it from the cat? Im the only one who ever got infected, none of the dogs got infected with it and nobody else in my family did either