Greenies Treat Equivalent

giraffez

Mine gets chicken necks, wings, frames, lamb ribs. Occasional turkey necks and roo tails. Some meaty bones every day.

My vet comments on how good her teeth are - every time she looks at them! Never had to get any work done on her teeth.

And she's never tried to sell us greenies. :)

greenies dont work better then an appropriate bone for the breed. Get something the dog can gnaw with the back molars as well as use the front incisors for and it will do the job. Greenies, petgetables and all that crap is simply .. well ... crap. I refuse to order them for my store.

Hi

Is there a greenies treat equivalent that is not made in china? I want to get my dog some treats that are actually good for cleaning his teeth.

As a treat I get Steer Pizzels. Pepper loves them. Baliz Steer Pizzels But they are rather small, and I usually throw them out when he has chewed them to half size, in case he chokes.

Otherwise chicken necks. My little boy (Yorkie) is rather spoilt, though. Can't remember how many lamb shanks and brisket I have thrown away, because he shows no interest.

Greenies had some very bad publicity a while back. I would not buy/feed them. Greenies risk?

And she's never tried to sell us greenies. :)

Thanks all for the replies

i don't think they weren't trying to sell me greenies, they didn't even ask whether i wanted to buy some. It came up because i asked them what i can use to clean the teeth. I asked whether it was better than bones and basically they explained that the greenies cling to the teeth like toffee so gives it a good clean - sounds like a valid explanation so i thought i'll do some research before getting any because i recall reading some bad things about it.

the vet said greenies work better than bones. but when i looked at the packet, it had made in china so i didn't get it.

Well, why wouldn't the vet say that? They make money our of the sales. I have read on other forums that dogs have choked on these greenies and I have never offered them to my boys.

My 2 get Greenies occasionally. Haven't had a problem yet. But then again they are always supervised when eating things like greenies or bones. Have had vets and some trainer friends recommend them and they do not sell them so they get no money from the sales :cry: .

Does anyone have a link to some information about what is wrong with them? I would be very interested to hear it. Don't like to think I'm giving the dogs something that is unhealthy for them.

They had problems previously when a couple of dogs got intestinal blockages from them in the US.

They were reformulated and relaunched- with 2 differences, one is that they put weak sections all the way along the chew so they naturally break into smaller pieces at those points. The other is they made them dissolve faster in the gut and did a study to ensure that they did.

You'll notice the ones they sell now are much more bendy than the previous version.

They have a place- for dogs who can't eat raw bones for whatever reason. For people like me who need to give 3 dogs a chewy that they all finish so there are no fights. They are particularly handy for SWF's who will not touch bones come hell or high water but will eat these. Someone makes money out of them sure, but if it's not the Vet it's an internet business or whatever. When you buy dentabones from the supermarket Pedigree makes money. If SWF's can eat these regularly and avoid a dental then it makes it worthwhile IMO.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

The problem with greenies is gone..some girls from my tafe course soaked some in water and they completely dissolved in a few hours.... but thats interesting that they are made in china now I was just looking at purchasing some to give them a go!

I feed the Hills T/d as a dental treat at the moment... or raw bones.. and have just started brushing my dogs teeth as well-if your dog tolerates that is a good way to keep teeth healthy and allows you to check up on them often as well..the vets sell a really nice thick flavoured doggie toothpaste (sorry can't remember the name) the ones I've tried from the petshops are too runny to get the job done well :laugh: