I Have A New Puppy!

Dee_al

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend with two boy SBT's and they absolutely LOVE each other and are perfectly trained so I don't really see an issue, as long as he's trained that is :rofl:

Some of us know of situations with very different outcomes. The worst dog fight I have ever seen was between two male SBT littermates. They did not live in the same home.

It happened at a dog training club.

Edited by poodlefan

lovely pup congrates

(i had a male rotti and a male entire neo masstiff together and they only had one issue ever and it was when the rotti was dieing and had a fit. the neo attacked him :rofl: )

so do you have another male staffy as well????

then good luck LOL my mate had a female and male and had to get rid of the female as she started some scary fights.

oh yeah hes gonna be cuddeled with me a fair bit lol. Im counting down the days till sat, so i can pick him up!

Hoping Stanley(currrent staffy) doesnt get too jealous though....

You already have a Male stafford?

Yes we do, a red one called Stanley. Ive posted pics of him on here. I wasnt a staffy fan until I met my OH and then hes dog, Stanley. Stanley LOVES living creatures. Hes best mate was a cat, he has lived hes life with OH's parents's entire male blue heeler. Stanley loves other dogs, has never shown any aggression being it male or female.

lovely pup congrates

(i had a male rotti and a male entire neo masstiff together and they only had one issue ever and it was when the rotti was dieing and had a fit. the neo attacked him :rofl: )

then good luck LOL my mate had a female and male and had to get rid of the female as she started some scary fights.

oh yeah hes gonna be cuddeled with me a fair bit lol. Im counting down the days till sat, so i can pick him up!

Yes we do, a red one called Stanley. Ive posted pics of him on here. I wasnt a staffy fan until I met my OH and then hes dog, Stanley. Stanley LOVES living creatures. Hes best mate was a cat, he has lived hes life with OH's parents's entire male blue heeler. Stanley loves other dogs, has never shown any aggression being it male or female.

Bringing another male Stafford in may change that. Having to "compete" so to speak with another Stafford male may bring out traits you haven't seen in Stanley.

There is also no guarantee that your new Stafford is going to be as easy going a male as Stanley is .

I know that there are no guarantee's with having a male/female combination either but as a rule the combination works much better.

Dee al your new boy is just gorgeous :rofl:

We have a blue boy and have luckily have had no health issues with him.

All the best with him and your current boy. We have also got a staffy x female and the pair get on like a house on fire.

Maybe some of the experts have some advice or links/websites with info on introducing your new boy to your current? Maybe also some explaining issues or things to keep an eye out for.

Look forward to more pics. He is just beautiful! :rofl:

lovely pup congrates

(i had a male rotti and a male entire neo masstiff together and they only had one issue ever and it was when the rotti was dieing and had a fit. the neo attacked him :thumbsup: )

Bringing another male Stafford in may change that. Having to "compete" so to speak with another Stafford male may bring out traits you haven't seen in Stanley.

There is also no guarantee that your new Stafford is going to be as easy going a male as Stanley is .

I know that there are no guarantee's with having a male/female combination either but as a rule the combination works much better.

Stanley has lived hes life with an entire male Blue Heeler and there hasnt been any problems with the two of them, except for a few minor squabbles, but they wernt fights or anything. We are just hoping it will be the same with our new puppy..

yeah, i remember how hard it was when mum bought a GR puppy home. I had to try to introduce Kane to him very slowly becuse at the time Kane was very DA, so i can remember how hard tht was. Im going to buy a puppy pen and a crate etc so they can talk and smell through a barrier for a while first.

On another note, picking puppy up has been delayed until next saturday! so now ive got to wait a whole more week!

Is the 'Blue' colour an issue in all breeds or just Staffys? I've known of many blue Greyhounds.

Why I ask is I heard someone saying that a Judge (recently) had told an exhibitor with a Blue Great Dane "I don't like 'Blues"! I don't know why this was said and I don't think personal opinions should be voiced, I thought it was just about colour likes and dislikes but now I wonder whether it was a back handed reference to health issues?? I still don't believe it should have been said though!

LizT the "dilute" gene can be an issue for some breeds but the issues crop up more often in the blue staffys because there are so many bred simply for the colour and not necessarily anything else (good, healthy examples of their breed first and foremost).

I believe that blue greyhounds see relatively few issues, because they are not specifically bred to be blue, they are bred for other things (health and sound conformation to enable them to run). If a blue crops up it's treated the same as any other colour. If it can't run, or it isn't healthy, it doesn't breed.

The puppy is so cute! Congrats.

I have a friend with two boy SBT's and they absolutely LOVE each other and are perfectly trained so I don't really see an issue, as long as he's trained that is :laugh:

Some of us know of situations with very different outcomes. The worst dog fight I have ever seen was between two male SBT littermates. They did not live in the same home.

It happened at a dog training club.

That is all good and well, but your anecdotal evidence means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I could say, my friend has 2 male SBTs and they are fine together, that doesn't lend any weight to the overall argument however.

Each situation needs to be assessed on its own merits. I am sure that with due diligence and care Dee_al's dogs may well live in perfect harmony.

All I can say is good luck.

I truly hope things work out as well and easily as you think they will.

i didnt say i thought it would be easy, i know it isnt goin to be a walk in tge park..

In the last 5 days we have seen 3 lots of Staffy's that have lived together happily until something happens & they have ripped each other apart requiring major surgery.

Both Male/Male & Male/Female, becoming quiet a regular thing at work,

Buggered if I know what is going on ?? But my guess would be sooooo many BYB's

In the last 5 days we have seen 3 lots of Staffy's that have lived together happily until something happens & they have ripped each other apart requiring major surgery.

Both Male/Male & Male/Female, becoming quiet a regular thing at work,

Buggered if I know what is going on ?? But my guess would be sooooo many BYB's

And far too many owners who ignore the history and temperament of the breed to its peril. :laugh:

If you want dogs that are the most likely to get on with one another, then look to breeds that were kept and/or worked in groups. Many breeds of hounds, gundogs and sledding breeds would appear to be likely candidates.

There's a REASON the Beagle is among the most popular dogs for scientifc research and its not just because of its appetite. To keep two mature dogs of a breed of fighting ancestry together requires vigilance, preparation and separation if not supervised. Years of dumb luck won't help a bit if you come home to the situaton Silverblue describes. I'd argue most experienced Stafford folk would not advise it and most could describe such incidents.

Anecdotal evidence adds up. Most mulitple dog owners can describe scraps that have occurred between their dogs. Add a breed renowned for its courage, tenacity and power to the mix and the outcome can be disastrous.

Edited by poodlefan