Looking For A High Quality Australian Kibble

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illusionzzz email this lady. I have recently brought a bag of this food and it's fantastic! No corn or wheat, and it is a high quality hollistic food, made in Australia and reasonably priced.

Kaye Reeves: [email protected]

She will be able to give you all the details you need and where you can purchase it from.

No corn? What then is corn gluten meal? And tallow?

Following is the ingredients list off the website for the food I feed my dogs. Maybe I'm having eye problems but I still can't see corn (gluten meal or otherwise) or tallow? :cheer:

ADULT LAMB AND RICE

A premium quality dry food being used by breeders/exhibitors and pet owners with outstanding results.

PROTEIN MIN 22% - FAT MIN 12% - FIBRE MAX 4.5% - ASH MAX 11% - PHOSPHOROUS MAX 1.5% - CALCIUM MIN 1.45% - MOISTURE MAX 10%

Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Oats, Rice Bran, Flaxseed, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbyl Palmitate), Brewers Dried Yeast, Lecithin, Natural Lamb Flavour, Dried Carrots, Dried Kelp, Choline Chloride, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Blueberries, Dandelion, Peppermint, Rosemary. Tomato Meal, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Biotin, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, DL-Methionine, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate.

So what’s that general consensus on this food? I feed half kibble half raw and I would love to use a quality Australian made food? I have look at Uncle Albers and Great Barko but am concerned that they don’t actually list their ingredients.

Illusionzzz email this lady. I have recently brought a bag of this food and it's fantastic! No corn or wheat, and it is a high quality hollistic food, made in Australia and reasonably priced.

Kaye Reeves: [email protected]

She will be able to give you all the details you need and where you can purchase it from.

No corn? What then is corn gluten meal? And tallow?

Following is the ingredients list off the website for the food I feed my dogs. Maybe I'm having eye problems but I still can't see corn (gluten meal or otherwise) or tallow? :cheer:

ADULT LAMB AND RICE

A premium quality dry food being used by breeders/exhibitors and pet owners with outstanding results.

PROTEIN MIN 22% - FAT MIN 12% - FIBRE MAX 4.5% - ASH MAX 11% - PHOSPHOROUS MAX 1.5% - CALCIUM MIN 1.45% - MOISTURE MAX 10%

Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Oats, Rice Bran, Flaxseed, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbyl Palmitate), Brewers Dried Yeast, Lecithin, Natural Lamb Flavour, Dried Carrots, Dried Kelp, Choline Chloride, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Blueberries, Dandelion, Peppermint, Rosemary. Tomato Meal, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Biotin, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, DL-Methionine, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate.

Okay, then I'm confused as to what brand this actually is. I thought it was the one I queried as that was the post you responded to.

Boxer05 - I also feed half kibble, half raw. I was using Uncle Albers and was not unhappy with it but I noted that my Dobermanns coat lost some of it's shine and that all my dogs were 'producing' more for me to clean up in the back yard! I have now switched to Black Hawk Hollistic and there has been an improvement in both coat condition and less of what comes out the back end. I have posted the email of the lady I buy it off or you can google Black Hawk dog food and it's the first site on the list.

Sheridan - There were 2 links put on this thread, the one I use is Black Hawk and the other I think was Natural Balance. It must have been the Natural Balance that you looked at as it contains the corn and tallow etc. :dancingelephant:

Thanks for the feedback and links guys.

I've gotta say that when you compare the ingredients of these, and other Australian premium dogfoods, with the likes of 'Evo', they just don't compare...

Maybe I'll just stick with evo

What's the difference with Evo?

I have look at Uncle Albers and Great Barko but am concerned that they don’t actually list their ingredients.

They do. They are on the bags and on the website.

INGREDIENTS

Uncle Alber's is formulated from a selection of the following ingredients. Cooked meat or meat by-products derived from beef, lamb, poultry or pork. Cooked fish or fish by-products. Fat, cooked cereals and wheaten bran. Products derived from canola and soyabeans. Lysine, methionine, antioxidant, bentonite, vitamins and minerals.

Vitamins: A, D3, E, K, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B6 (pyridoxine), B12, niacin, pantothenate, folic acid and biotin.

Minerals: Calcium, phosphorus, sodium, chloride, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium and zinc

What's the difference with Evo?
I have look at Uncle Albers and Great Barko but am concerned that they don’t actually list their ingredients.

They do. They are on the bags and on the website.

INGREDIENTS

Uncle Alber's is formulated from a selection of the following ingredients. Cooked meat or meat by-products derived from beef, lamb, poultry or pork. Cooked fish or fish by-products. Fat, cooked cereals and wheaten bran. Products derived from canola and soyabeans. Lysine, methionine, antioxidant, bentonite, vitamins and minerals.

Vitamins: A, D3, E, K, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B6 (pyridoxine), B12, niacin, pantothenate, folic acid and biotin.

Minerals: Calcium, phosphorus, sodium, chloride, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium and zinc

I suppose I should clarify that what I mean is there seems to be some ambiguity with the ingredients. Cooked meat or meat by-products derived from beef, lamb, poultry or pork, Cooked fish or fish by-products and Products (which ones) derived from canola and soyabeans.

In the UK I was feeding Orijen to my cat (dogs are raw fed) but it's not sold over here due to problems with irradiation a few years back. Anyway I emailed an online retailer recently when looking for a suitable food for her and got this reply.....

Due to the Orijen issue a few years back here in Australia, no cat food is

now allowed to be irradiated upon entry into Australia. The government

delivered a ban on the irradiation of cat food in May 2009. I can assure you

that no pet food we stock has been irradiated upon entry into Australia.

I would assume this ban also applies to dog food :) I am going to try her on Ziwipeak, as although it's not Australian it's pretty close and the ingredients look brilliant for a 'dried' food :thumbsup:

http://www.ziwipeak.com/nzl/cuisinefamily.shtml

Guest belgian.blue
Nutro isn't widely available and I think it's one that's up around the same price as Eagle Pack.

Cheaper than eagle pack and I see it everywhere .. I'm in Perth :laugh:

Pookinuk has it cheaper than stores.

Cheaper than eagle pack and I see it everywhere .. I'm in Perth

Wrong side of the continent for me. I am unimpressed, I emailed the company yesterday about where to find it locally and they haven't yet replied. Really not good enough. Emails from potential customers should be responded to within 24 hours at the very most.

I have never seen it for sale around here, despite being a regular shopper at various pet stores and stock supply places.

hi guys im in the pickle of trying to find a dog kibble that has no fillers by products and corn in the nsw area cheap but nutritional i would love to get Orijen but i think thats only in the states :laugh:

atm my two kelpies are on pro plan sensitive skin and stomach most of the time main ingredient salmon but bamm bam $133 for 15 kgs

the ingredients look pretty good compared to what is available no crap in them just a little bit suspect on what these fish are fed that is then going into my dog :S

but i have noticed the difference between raw and kibble.

my dogs have been kibbled majority but when we have switched to raw B.A.R.F. diet i have seem vast improvements in weight and coat and the consistancy of their poop sorry had to say it seems to be better for my dogs but money isnt freely flying here its about $20 for 6 patties which last 3 days with my dogs one morning and one night so unless i make my own im sticking with kibble but if you notice your dogs coat is down adding xtra virgin olive oil to your dogs meal or an egg shell or even flax seed oil is very good for the coat

i have seen eagle pack is it and then the natural something but i have a small feeling these have corn or fillers in them ?

which is why i dont by science diet full of corn

Not sure if it is what you are after, my dogs dont eat it, but pro plan is starting to be made in Australia, the Rep told me last week, only a few bags to start with, but they are hoping by the end of the year to have them all made in Aus

I feed Nutro and am so happy to be back on it, dogs do great on it.

I've harassed pet reps before about corn gluten. They say that it is the easily digestible bit of the corn. I harassed a Pro Plan rep about grains in pro Plan and she said that according to their studies dogs need carbs. She said to write into Pro Plan if you want something different.

Catherine.b have you looked at Artemis? They have a grain free version. Not Australian but that doesn't seem to be something you are worried about.

I've harassed pet reps before about corn gluten. They say that it is the easily digestible bit of the corn. I harassed a Pro Plan rep about grains in pro Plan and she said that according to their studies dogs need carbs. She said to write into Pro Plan if you want something different.

Catherine.b have you looked at Artemis? They have a grain free version. Not Australian but that doesn't seem to be something you are worried about.

havent heard of artemis before??? is that a good brand

.First Ten Ingredients for pro plan s.skin n stomach

Salmon

brewers rice

canola meal

oat meal

fish meal (natural source of glucosamine) dont know wth that is haha

animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols ^ (form of Vitamin E)

salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine)

pearled barley

brewers dried yeast

animal digest

~~(its all these meals im worried about)

Remaining Ingredients

salt, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite

this one is better then the other ones of pro plan

Quite a number of people here feed Artemis.

Here is the no grain ingredients:

Product Information

Chicken Meal, Potatoes,Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols),Chicken, Natural Chicken Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Kelp, Carrots, Peas, Apples, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Spinach, Dried Skim Milk, Cranberry Powder, Rosemary Extract, Parsley Flake, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Barley Grass Extract, L-Carnitine, Enterococcus Faecieum, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Saccharomyces Cerevesiae Fermentation Solubles, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Protinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate,Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein. min 42% Crude Fat, min 22% Crude Fibre, max 3% Moisture, max 10% Vitamin E, min 300IU/kg Biotin, min 0.25mg/kg Omega-6 Fatty Acids, min 3.4% Omega-3 Fatty Acids, min 0.6%

Found this Australian company - http://www.watchandgrowpetco.com.au/Premiu...rtframe=dogfood

Not super impressed with the ingredients though as has a lot of grains in it plus has the meat and/or by products. They obviously didn't research what a holistic dog feeder wanted!

Nature's Gift still has to be my first choice for a true Australian kibble, even with the wheat in it. They put the wheat into to bind the kibble. Said they would need different machines to make a kibble without something to bind it. At 70% meat it is higher than Evo.

Ive tried Artemis ,Evo, Eagle pack for my GSD and she did poorly couldnt put on weight no matter how much I fed her. Her droppings were loose on them all as well. I tried Nutro Australian made and she has put on 4 kilos in 2 months eating the same amount as the ones previously mentioned. Dropping all good now too. Also I didnt like how USA made foods seem to be getting recalls all the time for making dogs sick with cheap ingredients from other countries.

Hey guys,

Before this turns into a raw vs kibble debate, I actually feed my chihuahua raw barf but I like to have kibble in the house incase I run out of other food.

I used to buy innova evo, which seems to have all the right ingredients and my dog likes it! But I want to try and find something that's made in Australia. Mainly due to the possibility that evo could be getting irradiated when it's imported here.

I'm looking for something with minimal grains but all the Australian "premium" kibbles seem full of them.

Any ideas?