Looking For A High Quality Australian Kibble

Also I didnt like how USA made foods seem to be getting recalls all the time for making dogs sick with cheap ingredients from other countries.

This is something that bothers me too. If they are using cheap imported ingredients, why is the finished product so expensive?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone remember a Aussie product that has been recalled? I can't.

I questioned the wheat in particular in the Watch & Grow food and they reckon their wheat is ok because it is Australian grown and that allergy problems come from OS wheat that has been fumigated and irradiated.

Why are grains unacceptable and potatos are? They are carbs and I daresay are also used to bind the kibble. In nutrition content they would be (for a dog) about as nutritious as rice, barley, oats etc.

its cos potatoes are a starch like rice so it's ment to be a good filler supposedly.

i want to be able to get my hands on orijen best brand to be out there by the looks.

You won't be able to get Orijen as it is no longer available in this country.

There are now some excellent holistic foods available - and as with everything it is a case of trial and error to see what suits the individual best.

Evie (our old Saint) is currently on her third bag of Canidae (and they have two grain free products that are extremely well made), and thriving on it. She has mostly been fed Artemis over the past year or so and will go back to that next bag (she is a fussy little darling), then I'll rotate between these two brands and Earthborn Holistic which also has a grain free worth looking at.

At the end of the day, it always comes down to the overall health, enjoyment and wellbeing a food provides for the individual dog. In an ideal world, Australia would make top end holistic foods that offered variety and had no imported ingredients, nor oversees owners. The reality is though that if you want to feed dry, there is now a huge selection to research and try - we've never had so many options. Some will not work for you. Some may be subject to recall in the future, who knows? The same as the food in the supermarket is on a regular basis. But it is worth doing proper research rather than forming opinions based on the internet or TV.

Sags

Well, a whole week after emailing Nutro about where to buy their product locally, I received a reply. The area manager tells me that it's available at Petstock in Traralgon, who also run a reward program for it where you get the 11th bag free.

I shop at Petstock at least fortnightly and have done for years, I regularly check out their range of kibble.......budget to super premium....and I have never seen Nutro there. Ever.

So I've asked the area manager to follow up that lead for me and see when they'll have some in stock.

Edited by GayleK

Well, a whole week after emailing Nutro about where to buy their product locally, I received a reply. The area manager tells me that it's available at Petstock in Traralgon, who also run a reward program for it where you get the 11th bag free.

I shop at Petstock at least fortnightly and have done for years, I regularly check out their range of kibble.......budget to super premium....and I have never seen Nutro there. Ever.

So I've asked the area manager to follow up that lead for me and see when they'll have some in stock.

It may be if they're getting regular pallet deliveries, that they will special order it for you.

They can probably special order all kinds of stuff for me, but that's not what I want. I want to go into a store, pick up a bag when I need it and buy it on the spot. I hate having to pre-order stuff like dogfood, I never think about it til I'm just about out and I need to be able to just go and buy it.

If the Nutro company tell me that the local Petsock store stock their product, I would expect it to be in stock most of the time when I want to buy it. But I know Petstock don't carry it, I was there just yesterday and I can list the brands they had there and Nutro wasn't amongst them, and never has been.

I wasn't having a go at you, I am getting really frustrated with Nutro. First of all they don't reply to my email for a week, then tell me a local store stocks their product when I know they definitely don't.

I could drive to Dandenong and buy it, I did that a few times for Pro Plan Selects, but that adds about thirty bucks to the cost and it's was already expensive. Ditched that idea. Tried Nutrience as I found a store here who had it but when I went back for a second bag they told me the bag I'd bought previously was the last they were stocking as it wasn't a good seller. They offered to order it in for me when I wanted it, but that's not ideal for me.

I currently have 3 dogs each eat a different dry food.

My oldest - 5 year old male bullmastiff eats Natural Balance Super Premium Regular energy (Australian owned and distributed). He has a glossy coat, full of energy and there is no doggy smell what so ever. The best thing is the amount of poo is equivalent to a dog on a raw diet which is near to nothing. He has been on it for the last 3 years and I have not had a single issue with it.

My middle dog - 2.5 year old female bullmastiff eats Uncle Albers which she loves. Her coat is also glossy, full of energy - she's on it to keep her weight maintained. Unfortunately she does get that doggy smell with it. The main problem with it is what she eats triples in size when it comes out the other end.

My youngest - 4 month old male bullmastiff - Advance puppy large breed growth - seriously I have never seen a dog poo so much in my life!!! He out poos my girl and he eats about the same quantity. He has that doggy smell and unfortunately his coat isnt as shiny and nice as my other two. He is currently being moved over the puppy formula offered by Natural Balance.

My Verdict - Natural Balance is the only way to go in my view. There are those that may cringe at the incredients because it contains corn but when you compare the amount eaten to the amount of poo at the end of the day - it is more easily digested by the dog and the nutrients are better absorbed than many of the top brands.

This is just my experience and opinion.

My Verdict - Natural Balance is the only way to go in my view. There are those that may cringe at the incredients because it contains corn but when you compare the amount eaten to the amount of poo at the end of the day - it is more easily digested by the dog and the nutrients are better absorbed than many of the top brands.

This is just my experience and opinion.

Hey, if it works for you, it works.

I won't feed foods containing gluten to my dogs but not all dogs have issues with it.

I could drive to Dandenong and buy it, I did that a few times for Pro Plan Selects, but that adds about thirty bucks to the cost and it's was already expensive. Ditched that idea. Tried Nutrience as I found a store here who had it but when I went back for a second bag they told me the bag I'd bought previously was the last they were stocking as it wasn't a good seller. They offered to order it in for me when I wanted it, but that's not ideal for me.

Happy to send you Artemis to your home address, ($8.00 postage) and we can work on regular orders so you dont have to remember when to go collect food. We will work out how long a bag lasts and then send a bag before you run out.

Happy to send you Artemis to your home address, ($8.00 postage) and we can work on regular orders so you dont have to remember when to go collect food. We will work out how long a bag lasts and then send a bag before you run out.

I might take you up on that, I'm just waiting on a sample of Black Hawk Holistic to try. I was given a sample of Artemis at a dog show and my dogs loved it, so I'd be happy to feed that.

I will PM you in a few days.

I would love to get some of the foods mentioned, but I have to get them freighted from Perth and it is costly, not to mention remembering to order it in time.

The only premium ranges I can access easily are Advance, Science Diet and Eukanuba none of which I want to use.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I know Natural Balance has several distributors in WA including country areas if you are interested.

Natural Balance

I would love to get some of the foods mentioned, but I have to get them freighted from Perth and it is costly, not to mention remembering to order it in time.

The only premium ranges I can access easily are Advance, Science Diet and Eukanuba none of which I want to use.

Black Hawk Holistic is my food and have just heard there is more talk on here about it and l am happy to answer any questions

Only the puppy food has wheat in it at 2 % we are currently trying to change that in the formula, the Adult doesn thave wheat, sorn or soy.

Regards

Sherel

www.kylainknls.com

I think it is positive to see a locally made product that looks to be high in meat content. As with a couple of other Australian made holistic foods, I do question the inclusion of menadione, as well as the wheat flour in the puppy food. I also prefer to avoid beet pulp in feeding my own dogs. Having said that, this particular food has been around for quite a while and I've only heard good feedback about it (and no, we don't currently stock it).

Sags

:)

I know Natural Balance has several distributors in WA including country areas if you are interested.

Natural Balance

Thank you for that, unfortunately the closest stockist is nearly 500kms away. Freight is the killer especially when you want to frieght the big bags.

Pookinuk has a flat delivery of $5, even to Perth, regardless how much you buy. I hated to buy Evo because it's only sold at PP, and it's terribly expensive. I find Evo in Singapore for SG$30!

Artemis Maximal is a 6-star super premium food, though not Australian made.

K9 Natural too, is as close to a raw food diet you can get with a dry - it's dehydrated raw, add water and serve. Also 6-star. Ziwi Peak is excellent too.

Candidae, Natural Balace (the Dick Van Patten one!) and Eagle Pack Holistic are 5-stars.

http://www.pookinuk.com.au/pet-products.asp?categoryID=10

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/