Whinging/whining

Henrietta

Slightly inane topic, but I am curious. :)

Does your dog whine?

My little dog doesn't. On the other hand, she is a loud player, very vocal and she can be a barker when excited. I'd hazard a guess and say that if she were left in the backyard to do little else than exist, she would be every neighbours worst nightmare. She also occasionally 'gruff gruffs' which, I suppose is her form of whinging.

But yes, I've never heard her whine.

My grandmother's kelpie x GSD cross, on the other hand is a whinger/whiner and very vocal in this way. My parents' dog is not big on whinging, but they have created a 6am/pm monster, so she will whinge and carry on then, waiting to be fed.

What about your dog? I suppose some breeds are more predisposed to whining, much the same as barking.

Slightly inane topic, but I am curious. :thumbsup:

Does your dog whine?

My little dog doesn't. On the other hand, she is a loud player, very vocal and she can be a barker when excited. I'd hazard a guess and say that if she were left in the backyard to do little else than exist, she would be every neighbours worst nightmare. She also occasionally 'gruff gruffs' which, I suppose is her form of whinging.

But yes, I've never heard her whine.

My grandmother's kelpie x GSD cross, on the other hand is a whinger/whiner and very vocal in this way. My parents' dog is not big on whinging, but they have created a 6am/pm monster, so she will whinge and carry on then, waiting to be fed.

What about your dog? I suppose some breeds are more predisposed to whining, much the same as barking.

My goldy whines and whines when she wants to go for a walk, or wants to be fed !! She would just sit in one corner and make these soft mournful noises. The moment her leash or the bowl is taken out, she would jump up and be her happy self again.

My elky doesn't whine. Ever. He is too dignified for that :)

Edited by Odin-Genie

My Mastiff is the most whingey dog i have ever encountered, as well as being one of the biggest and scariest looking! We have never responded when he whinges, whines and moans at the door to come in, but he will still do it for what seems like hours and he's three now!

He is an inside dog but due to his size has to be put out at dinnertime and when visitors come etc.

Yep - Oscar whinges when he wants something and wants us made aware of it - and also when he wants to be covered up to go to sleep. Patch whinges in the mornings if I sleep in - he walks into my room and cries until I get up (and then he usually just goes back to bed :confused:)

Kaisie has got pretty whingey in the last year or so. I think she's a bit uncomfortable with arthritis etc. So I can sort of understand it. I'm probably making it worse by being "understanding" actually.

She is getting treatment etc. And I've put her on a slightly changed diet to help (from the Troy Behave thread) and she seema bit less anxious now.

It can be annoying. I agree.

Mine both whinge :D They whinge when they think we're going for a walk, they whinge when you take one out without the other, they whinge when I get home from work...

My personal favourite is the "air whinge" they do when they are lying down and want something but are too lazy to get up :)

;) ;) :):rofl: at other ppls replies!!! :D ;) My two poodles whinge, The new girl juliet (standard) whinges and barks quietly when in the yard without me esp if she knows im inside even though she is happilly running around out there!! :D whinges also if i leave a room and she cant follow, FEZ the toy he mostly just whinges to come inside while he is scratching the glass door or if he is really excited with me n i wont pick him up lol :), My parents whippet just got desexed and ohhhh the carry on!!! she was rolling around on the couch crying like she had been split up the middle!!! the vets rang my mum to see if she could pick her up earlier than planned because she was disturbing the other pacients lol, and when i looked it was a whole 3 stitches lol and they sent home exra pain meds for her n everything, need less to say she wasnt talking to anyone for days. :p

My foster beagle whines when

- she's really frustrated

- she's really excited

- when I go out to get her in the morning (probably related to the excited part)

- when she wants your attention and nothing else is working

I don't mind because she has the cutest whine on earth and she doesn't too it too much heheh :D

Got two here that do. It's not all the time thank god. Jet runs around to the window where the computer is when he is outside & I am inside and will whine & tap at the window because he wants in. This has only started recently. I really need to address it.

Jessie whinges a bit more, when she is excited & when she wants in from outside too.

Charlie is a whiner... OMG, can he whinge.

It's his way of communicating with us.. he whinges to let us know he wants something. But, there are times where I think he whinges to annoy the crap out of everyone because he feels like we aren't giving him enough attention... he gets louder and louder if we ignore him.

Emmy doesn't whine... she is a growler.

Greyhounds... :D

Both of ours whine almost constantly (although the older one likes to whine in increasing volume to make himself harder to ignore). On the bright side, they almost never bark.

I thought mine might've been a bit broken but.. Panterka's are even worse :)

:D Indie whines when Bonnie takes all the toys one by one out of the basket and jumps up on the 1.5m high bench table. Carfully puts all toys in the middle so Indie can't reach them and watches as he runs around in circles whining constantly for her to drop them down. I swear Bonnie is sitting up there, smirking at him with her "staffy grin".Obviously hasnt relised he can jump, daft boy.

Bonnie only whines when she passes houses that have dogs she knows.

Thanks!

I know it is just another verbal communication tool for dogs (like barking), but I just found it interesting that the three dogs in my life all have different levels of whinging. None, two times a day, and pretty much constant (well it feels constant sometimes :heart:)

And reverse that for barking - mine has a natural barking tendency, my parents' dog probably barks once a day if that and my nan's dog barks very rarely.

Atticus (Dane puppy) will whinge like he is dying if he manages to push a toy out of his crate and can't reach it with his paw. Nevermind that he has multiple toys in there - he wants the one he nosed out, and has to make vocal the frustraition of it all so we can retireve it for him....and he can do the exact same bloody thing again! :heart: cracks me up.

ETA - the acompanying "woe is me" face is adorable beyond words too!

Edited by Kissindra

My labrador whines when he wants something.

Like when I come home and he's really excited but I won't say hello until he sits, so I tell him to sit and he does it but he whines at the same time and looks up at me expectantly.

I discourage it but secretly I find it funny how he tells me off! :heart:

:laugh: Indie whines when Bonnie takes all the toys one by one out of the basket and jumps up on the 1.5m high bench table. Carfully puts all toys in the middle so Indie can't reach them and watches as he runs around in circles whining constantly for her to drop them down. I swear Bonnie is sitting up there, smirking at him with her "staffy grin".Obviously hasnt relised he can jump, daft boy.

Bonnie only whines when she passes houses that have dogs she knows.

:champagne::thumbsup::birthday: :birthday: :cheer: that is a crack up!!!