2 Better Than 1?

Persian Spitz

Is it better to have two dogs than one? We have one at the moment and because my OH and I both work during the day, he's alone most of the time. We fear that he may become more restless and get depressed as time goes on and he's alone. Will being on his own too much, around 12 hours a day, have a detrimental effect on a one year old? Would it be wise to get another?

I don't have a dog yet, but being in a similar situation to yourself (working couple) I considered getting two dogs to keep each other company. I decided against it for two main reasons: the grooming upkeep (for a Samoyed) and the limited time I have for training.

Training one dog is something I want to focus my whole attention on, and if I have two I fear that I won’t have enough time to give them the attention and time that they need to be well-adjusted, well-trained, obedient and happy dogs.

I have the added bonus of having my own occasional 'puppy day care' available with my sister, who has dogs ;) I would also consider a pet walker once or twice a week if my dog was showing signs of boredom that weren't being remedied with lots of before-and-after work walkies, training, treat-filled dispensers, chewing toys, and sacrificial destruction toys!

In my opinion - ie using my experience as a guide - I think it'd be a good idea for you to get a second dog. In our situation we had one dog who was happy most of the time, but sometimes she seemed depressed. We had all sorts of tests done at the vet, and the outcome was that she was lonely and needed a buddy as we were at work all day!

We used to feel quite guilty leaving her alone all day and when we got the second dog EVERYONE was much happier. They adore each other.

The other thing we found was that when they occassionaly go to kennels they are together and therefore much happier in that situation than they might have otherwise been.

I had one well behaved, mature older dog ... then added a young pup and ended up 2 delinquents!!!

I was hoping the older, mature dog would teach the younger one some manners and encourage good behaviour but instead the pup broke my well behaved one ... the pair are double trouble!!!

While I want to kill them both but really I couldn't part with them ... as tempting as it might be ;)

Edited by Tilly

There are a lot of things to consider when adding a second dog to your household... not just the comforts of what you assume may be a depressed and lonely older dog...

Twice the dog for walks, training, food, vet treatments, worming, fleas etc.

Possibility if not chosen correctly two dogs that do not get along

Possibility of the older dog actually preferring it's own company and being depressed when a second dog comes along.

Be sure first and foremost that you WANT a second dog and it isn't just for the sake of the other dog. Also be sure that the current dog isn't just wanting for something else other than company (extra entertainment like new entertaining toys) and extending or adding extra walks.

12 hours is a very long time to be away from the home... i think the idea of a dog walker is a good one.

I had one well behaved, mature older dog ... then added a young pup and ended up 2 delinquents!!!

I was hoping the older, mature dog would teach the younger one some manners and encourage good behaviour but instead the pup broke my well behaved one ... the pair are double trouble!!!

While I want to kill them both but really I couldn't part with them ... as tempting as it might be ;)

Same here! :( Our older dog just used to sleep when we were gone, but now he's kept awake by the puppy, and they get up to mischief together.

I will admit that having 2 dogs is awesome but it's also a lot more work. Especially if you get a puppy ;)

Just ask yourself if you can fulfill the needs of each dog individually? Do you have time to raise another puppy as well as making sure your first day still has plenty of attention?

If not, then I, too, think getting a dog walker is a good idea. 12 hours is a long time to be alone.

If the dog is fine now and doesn't have any seperation problems then the dog will generally be fine as long as you keep treating it appropriately i.e. like a dog and not the leader.

If you want another dog then all well and good, it does change the dynamics and dogs learn things from one another - the good and the bad.

12 hours is getting a pretty standard time for dogs to be left alone in Cities where their owners work and have to travel from the suburbs - so some people need a bit of a reality check.

Dogs aren't nervious and stressed out little creatures who need their mummy and daddy - treat them appropriately and they can handle 12 hours especially when they sleep 80% of that time and as long as you can spend your evenings with them and devote individual time to individual dogs.

Edited by sas

If the dog is fine now and doesn't have any seperation problems then the dog will generally be fine as long as you keep treating it appropriately i.e. like a dog and not the leader.

If you want another dog then all well and good, it does change the dynamics and dogs learn things from one another - the good and the bad.

12 hours is getting a pretty standard time for dogs to be left alone in Cities where their owners work and have to travel from the suburbs - so some people need a bit of a reality check.

Dogs aren't nervious and stressed out little creatures who need their mummy and daddy - treat them appropriately and they can handle 12 hours especially when they sleep 80% of that time and as long as you can spend your evenings with them and devote individual time to individual dogs.

Agree with the above.

I have three - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes, you need to be firm and make sure you are in charge, but I like to think my lot get the best of both worlds - doggy time, where they can interact with each other when we are out, and human time, where they are with us.

Thanks for the reply. This is good to know, I was worried when I started reading about people not being away from their house for more than 9, 8, even 7 hours. I guess I'll leave him be for now and get him a few more toys to keep him occupied.

This website www.wagsalot.com.au has a lot of the thinking/puzzle type toys recommended to us by the trainer that has been helping us with our dog. I haven't used it yet and I am not sure how good they are but I will be buying some of their toys to keep our only dog occupied on my work days. We have also been thinking about getting a second dog to keep our current dog company but after reading some of the advice on DOL, we have decided to wait a while too. I am worried about 2 dogs, double the trouble as our dog can be a bit of a barker. He goes to doggy day care and loves the company of the other dogs.

we had exactly the same situation...a little boy alone all day..and then we got his 'sister' and it's been the best thing..they are so good together and when we go off to work and see them both sitting at the window - ready to bark at the next 'loser' going by...we know we did the right thing.

I have 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. D'Artagnan is 19 months old and we got him at 12 months and Porthos is 7 months and we've had him since 10 weeks. We got 2 because we didn't want 1 to be alone all day as we both work full time. Since getting Porthos, Tagnan has stopped being so anxious...he was wetting his own bed before. Now, they play, sleep and SLEEP :)

It is hard work, they do get naughty together and copy each others bad habits. The naughtiest thing they have done is rip their beds to shreds...it was like a pile of snow when we got home and there were 2 dogs with tails wagging in amongst the beds innards. They also scratch at my walls near their bed. We are going to have to polyfill and repaint the wall (just waiting for warmer weather).

I love having the 2 dogs. D'Artagnan is a nervous and shy dog but with little Porthos by his side he is much better :laugh:

Susan

we have lots of dogs here and i dont think wed ever go back to just having one unless we are retired and at home a lot

but

if you do have an anxious dog...some are..some arent then having asecond doesnt guarantee to help it

not if it really needs YOU the master

some dogs take to other dogs and their needs are met...some continue to fret

we dont keep any single animals here apart from the eclectus who still has our other birds for company ( i know it isnt the same as having acompanion of he same species)

dogs are pack animals so i figure having another dog that it gets on well with is worth the trouble

be careful in choosing...get lots of advice

We had one dog and decided at 9 years of age to get him a companion - for much the same reason you are considering it. Well, it gave him a whole new lease on life and he was so so SO happy! They loved each other and were inseparable and now we would never have a just one dog (unless we had work where the dog could come or if we worked form home or were retired etc).

Dogs are social animals by nature and I seeing the difference in our dog when we got him a companion - I am so sad I did not do it sooner. He died 4 years later but lived a wonderful final 4 years. We then got a companion for the companion and not these are our two girls - also inseparable. I can not recommend it highly enough.

I just got a friend for my little terror. I wasn't even sure they would get on.

You can see the happiness in his little face! I have never seem him so happy. She is the puppy but he follows her everywhere.

I think this is the best thing we could have done for him :laugh:

We also work full time and felt so bad for banjie. when planning for him we thought it would all be fine but it really wasn't :mad

Banjo097.jpg

Banjo052-1.jpg

Banjo083.jpg

Banjo063.jpg