Can I Take Another Dog To The Melbourne Show

Gamby

Hi, I have entered my dog in the Melbourne Show in obedience. Am I able to take my puppy with me also. She will be 9 months old and I cannot leave her home in the house by herself.

Looking forward to reading your replies

hmmm - normally at Obedience Trial only dogs who are entered are allowed in. Perhaps you could contact the show secretary & find out.

Whatever happens - best of luck. You have my utmost admiration. I used to get nervous enough at an ordinary Trial, I would be packing myself at the Royal :)

Officially no, but no one ever checks.

Just take her and crate her or put her on a spare bench and pretend she is entered. If you don't make an issue of it no one will even notice.

One important point: Make sure she is not in season or she will definitely not be allowed in.

Edited by dancinbcs

When we use to travel over we wrote to the committee & had writtem approval to take our dogs that weren't being shown that day.

We never had an issue & they where able to cater for our needs.

We where also very appreciative & made sure not to display the fact.

Whilst they don't always check people do notice

I think the bigger issue is why you can not leave the dog home alone?

The bigger issue is that I know my puppy and I cannot leave her home by herself for umpteen hours. If I could then I would gladly leave her at home.

I think the bigger issue is why you can not leave the dog home alone?

Have to say that I do agree with this statement. It is important that you work with your dogs to ensure that they can operate as individuals and not create issues of separation. Your puppy is 9 months old, not really a puppy anymore but a teenager - if there are other issues such as your home not being safe to leave the dog you can always place the dog in a boarding situation for the day. The stress levels you and your dogs can experience at a Royal are bad enough without adding the stress of a worried young dog.

You have plenty of time before the Royal to get your dog used to spending the day at home alone - Then you can go to the show with your older dog and concentrate on having a great day with that dog. Best of luck at the trial.

Yep I would ring and ask them. I took a 5 month old pup to the Adelaide Royal while I was trialling her older sister. Didn't really have any other choice. I got her baby sat for at least one of the three nights but I remember she came to at least the agility night. We are lucky because our performance events are held in the evening so the time your required to be there isn't quite as long. Can't hurt to ask.

do they get vetted in at all before you are allowed in - at cat shows they have a vetslip they match to all cats prior to them going into the hall, and even those there just for exhibition have to be vetted in - if they also do this for dogs, how will you get her in

Thanks everyone. I now have the info I need. Thanks for wishing Gambit and I luck at the trial too. He is doing his Test 4 at the GSD Tracking trial at Haddon on the weekend. He needs to go around the corners, if he does then he should get a pass.