Should Aggressive Dogs Be Taken To Offleash Parks?

aussielover

Just wanted to get people's opinion on this issue.

Whilst I feel for the owners of aggressive dogs, and can understand how stressful it is and I know a lot of them are putting in A LOT of effort with training etc, I don't really feel it is appropriate for them to be off lead at an offleash park if they are not muzzled. And even if they are muzzled, unless under the instruction or supervision of a trainer, I don't think it is a good idea as the dog may start a fight and be attacked and then injured.

Today there was an aggressive dog at the park, it was very early and there is usually no one around at this time which is probably why the dog was off leash. The owner gave me a very dirty look when I showed up, like I had ruined their day, but at least did they right thing and put her dogs on leash and left the park :cheer:

However, some people seem to think it is their right to have an aggressive, barely under control animal at a park and that everyone else should avoid them :(

If my dog is the aggressor, I leave the park!

We recently had to leave, not becuase my pup was aggressive, but she was playing too rough with a smaller puppy.

Also, not related but a seperate incident- A greyhound broke free of its leash and started chasing a smaller dog, thankgod it had the muzzle on or else i think it would have killed the dog. The dog eventually escaped by jumping into the sea!

The dog was not overly small, looked a lot like a wire haired dachshund, but I guess the prey instict was just too strong for the grey.

Is this the reason why ex racing greys have to be muzzled? or can they be trained not to chase small dogs etc?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought it common sense not to take your dog to an offleash park if it is aggressive.

If I had a dog that was DA or HA it would never be off lead full stop, unless of course on my own property or an area I had complete control over.

I have a dog that is DA. I do not and would not take her to a leash free park, with or without a muzzle. I think there are alot of dogs at these parks that shouldn't be there. Once we were at a fenced leash free park in Sydney and as my kids went through the gate a greyhound ran out. The dog ignored it's owners call and was running around like a chook with no head! Thankfully it came to me and I grabbed hold of it and when the owner came to get it I got an earful about how it was a $10 000 dog and my kids shouldn't have opened the gate while he was in there.

As long as the dog is muzzled an under control it isn't a problem. Aggressive dogs are just as entitled to be exercised as any other dog.

It is just up to the owners to control them properly, and up to other people not to allow their dog to approach strange dogs until they have the ok from the dog's owner.

Every dog is capable of aggressive behaviour in the right circumstances. It is important that people don't allow their own dog to provoke aggression in others.

I have taken my DA dog to an off leash area, but only when it was empty and I stood by the gate so if someone came

to enter the park I could ask them to wait while I called my dog, leashed him and left.

All dogs need exercise and we don't do it often because it's hard to find an empty off leash park, but I don't think DA dogs should be taken in there if there are other dogs in there.

If it's a big open off leash park I am in two minds, I have met owners of DA dogs who have excellent control and reliability, if the dog is kept away from other dogs and taken at a time when it's not busy and the owners are responsible I don't have a big problem with it.

As long as the dog is muzzled an under control it isn't a problem. Aggressive dogs are just as entitled to be exercised as any other dog.

It is just up to the owners to control them properly, and up to other people not to allow their dog to approach strange dogs until they have the ok from the dog's owner.

Every dog is capable of aggressive behaviour in the right circumstances. It is important that people don't allow their own dog to provoke aggression in others.

I feel the same. Jet is 'fear agressive' the most he has ever done is growl at other dogs. However I still go to dog parks and keep him away from other dogs unless I know them. When I see another dog approaching which I feel is to energetic or the size of the dog might worry Jet. I will leave. I won't trust other people to contain there dogs because I am unsure if they will.

So in answer to the thread. I think it really depends on the dogs level of agression & the owners doing of controlling it.

Guest Tess32

Only if you're in the kind of park where you can control what dogs come near yours (ie, able to stand by a gate or able to see everything so you can leash and leave).

It's all very well to say that others should keep their dogs away, but the REALITY is that many don't, and if the dog is aggressive enough to cause serious harm then it simply shouldn't be putting others at risk.

If they behave like the owner in the OP what is the problem? They went when no one else was there, they left when someone arrived. They probably did look peeved, as they no doubt have difficulty finding a park that is empty that they can use.

All dogs deserve the opportunity to exercise.

I appreciate it when people actually bother to warn me their dog is aggressive or doesn't like puppies etc.

I actually asked someone the other day if the dog was friendly before letting Mindy off lead the lead say hello. She got within 1 meter of the dog and was basically told to F*** off by the other dog, the owner then saying "oh yeah, she doesn't really like puppies and has to put them in their place". Then why did you tell me she was fine with other dogs, I wouldn't have let her near your dog if I had known!

So if the consensus is no then what other options are out there for exercising DA animals safely? Do you try and give them the same level of exercise within their own yard or always keep them leashed or use a long leash for them to get a bit of a run or always keep them muzzled? I was just wondering what the options were as I feel sorry for DA dogs given some can't help how they are. Are there any securely fenced off leash areas that can be booked so these dogs get a leash free run but don't come into contact with other dogs?

My DA dog is only leash walked. I also do some training off leash in my backyard (which is a decent size) - agility and fetch - I have a decent amount of agility equipment now. Very occasionally I will let her off in a small park that is rarely used if nobody is there and throw the ball a couple of times, but then it is right back on leash, I don't let her wander off leash at all. That is the price for being aggressive.

I have to agree... to an extent. I do believe that aggressive dogs have as much right as any to be exercised, and that if they are muzzled and under control then a dog park is just as good a place to get exercise as any. The issue is that most aggressive dogs are not under control and their owners unable to control them. I am also of the opinion that most people at dog parks aren't in control of their dogs anyway, aggressive or not. In an ideal world, yes, you could possibly exercise an aggressive dog at a dog park, but i don't think its realistic at most parks. A dog doesn't have to go to a park to exercise. Yes, its great if they can, but if they can't, then the owners should probably think of something else.

Honey is DA (although it seems to be only while she's on a leash) so we don't take her to dog parks (which is unfortunate because we live across the road from one). We play with her in the backyard and take her to the school oval that my partner and her sisters went to as kids to let her off leash. Obviously we only do it after hours when nobody is there. The only way to get to the oval is through a gate running past some tennis courts or through the school, so we can watch out for people coming (not that anyone goes there because people dont really know about it :cheer: ). If this wasn't an option, and we had a small yard, then I would put her on a treadmill to burn most of her energy (shes a working breed, so she has a lot (sometimes, lol)) and then walk her.

Edited by Joel

My dog went thru a stage of being a bit DA- not actually causing iunjury, but still a very undesirable behaviour. We did long leash walks during this time. We also went to parks that hardly anyone else went to and at times when people weren't there. The dog was well trained and under control though and had never actually injured another dog. She was also only aggressive to some dogs, usually ones that ran and jumped up in her face.