Very Sick Pup, How To Get It To Eat

SAAM

I have a 8 week pup from the pound. Spent 6 days in the vets on a drip etc with either parvo or carona virus (sp). She has survived so far but is now skin and bone and I cannot get her to eat anything. She drinks quite well but even some lightly boiled chicken, puppy tin food, which is all I could find last night and kibble with a little chicken mince and softened inwater is all ignored.

She is skin and bone and has absolutley no energy. So llathargic just peed her bed at one stage. I will call the vet, but have a lot of faith in you guys, any suggestions?? She is breaking my heart with her big sad eyes.

SAAM

Get some Nutrigel from the Vet or Pet Supplies it is a high calorie supplement paste that tastes yummy, and stimulates the appetite.

thanks will get that this morning, why did my vet not suggest that. :laugh:

what is the best thing to start trying her to eat,?

When our boy had parvo I was advised to also try Farex Baby Food (sp?) & Nutrigel.

It was just small meals, often (it would sometimes just be a small morsel or two - hand fed).

Royal Cannin has a tinned version of the chicken & rice which I got from my vet.

Hope your pup picks up soon...

i really don't know about puppies but i had a 4-week old pound kitty that was pretty sick when she was busted out...

i didn't ask for any recommendations, did my own research and came across di-vetelact, got some and during the worst of it, i sat up with her one entire night and every 10 /15 mins or so i tempted her with a small amount of it along with morsels of cat turkey barf --- she didn't take much each time but she survived and the next day she was 10 times better, out on the back patio enjoying some late summer sun :laugh:

she was on ABs during that time and for the next 6 or so weeks but i credit that night to her ultimate survival --- i put that down largely to the di-vetelact...

good luck good luck good luck and major props to you for going the extra mile for your lil girl :laugh:

i really don't know about puppies but i had a 4-week old pound kitty that was pretty sick when she was busted out...

i didn't ask for any recommendations, did my own research and came across di-vetelact, got some and during the worst of it, i sat up with her one entire night and every 10 /15 mins or so i tempted her with a small amount of it along with morsels of cat turkey barf --- she didn't take much each time but she survived and the next day she was 10 times better, out on the back patio enjoying some late summer sun :laugh:

she was on ABs during that time and for the next 6 or so weeks but i credit that night to her ultimate survival --- i put that down largely to the di-vetelact...

good luck good luck good luck and major props to you for going the extra mile for your lil girl :laugh:

Thanks for that , I will call them in a minute and see where I can get some, poor little things, they are so trusting and vulnerable, so makes me sad :laugh:

Try The inevitable bbq chook cut very finely add a little vegimite to make a broth ,

also try her on formula , thickened with yogurt with aphidoficus in it ,cottage cheese ,Scambled egg.

serve all meals @ room tempreture ,also try nutragel or nutra drops to increase the appitite ,

hand feed if nessesary, small amounts during the day( say every 2 hrs .)till the appitite increases .

Try The inevitable bbq chook cut very finely add a little vegimite to make a broth ,

also try her on formula , thickened with yogurt with aphidoficus in it ,cottage cheese ,Scambled egg.

serve all meals @ room tempreture ,also try nutragel or nutra drops to increase the appitite ,

hand feed if nessesary, small amounts during the day( say every 2 hrs .)till the appitite increases .

do you mean baby formula?? which one, are there different types, or is it just brands? haven't dealt with babies for a long time :laugh:

thanks for the advice,

If she is drinking I'd try the chicken broth too, you can make it very weak and watery to start with and once she is accepting it make it more meaty. Nutrigel, as others have suggested, is also good. She may have a very inflamed or damaged digestive system at this point, poor bub.

If she is drinking I'd try the chicken broth too, you can make it very weak and watery to start with and once she is accepting it make it more meaty. Nutrigel, as others have suggested, is also good. She may have a very inflamed or damaged digestive system at this point, poor bub.

hanks for all the advice, so far the BBQ chicken is being taken in very small quantities, but its a start, I got a couple of cans of puppy food from the vet for sick babies, i have watered it down and syringed some down her. I am popping a bit of nutri gel in and will try the scrambled egg, it can't hurt.

She is drinking, so I will try the broth, Now I think she has a bit of constipation, which I am surprised at as i thought she would have been the opposite.

I've just had a puppy with an upset tummy. The only thing I could get her to eat was Dine Desire cat food. I tried to find something smelly for her. Not sure how that would go with a pup as sick as yours though. I picked the Dine as it was pretty much just fish and I didn't have any sardines in the house.

hanks for all the advice, so far the BBQ chicken is being taken in very small quantities, but its a start, I got a couple of cans of puppy food from the vet for sick babies, i have watered it down and syringed some down her. I am popping a bit of nutri gel in and will try the scrambled egg, it can't hurt.

She is drinking, so I will try the broth, Now I think she has a bit of constipation, which I am surprised at as i thought she would have been the opposite.

Don't give her too many foods just yet, she needs small meals often but not too much variety, her tummy may well not cope.

She may not be constipated, simply may not have anything to pass just yet.

What did the vet recommend?

A very sick pup might do better for a few days on liquids only and then on a VERY bland diet for at least a week.

You don't want to overburden their system too early.

If my pup was that sick, I think I'd want it back at the vets on a drip.

Edited by poodlefan

What did the vet recommend?

A very sick pup might do better for a few days on liquids only and then on a VERY bland diet for at least a week.

You don't want to overburden their system too early.

If my pup was that sick, I think I'd want it back at the vets on a drip.

X2

it is WAAY to easy to feed the wrong thing/not enough/too much, and undo any good healing :(:rofl:

Stick to ONE bland food ... Nutrigel and chicken broth is a good start ...

however, if it were mine, it would be back at the vets .