What Breeds Wouldn't You Recommend For A First Time Onwer?

aussielover

What breeds are generally only suitable in more experienced hands (ie have at least had a dog before) and may become dangerous or extremely destrcutive if not handled by an experienced owner.

From my readings and experiences

Breeds suitable for more only experienced owners (not generally recommended for a first time owner):

Doberman

Rottweiler

GSD

Great Dane

CAO

Maremma

Anatolian

Siberian husky

Alaskan Malamute

American Pit Bull Terrier

American Staffordshire Terrier

Please feel free to disagree with me (and add reasons please :() or to add any suggestions.

Many people here have mentioned to prospective first time buyers that GSDs, Dobes and Rotties are not really suitable for the inexperienced dog owner, so that is why they are on the list.

The others are on there mainly for their size and power as well as

being wary of strangers and very protective of family (LGDs)

Exercise requirements and size (mally and husky)

Potenital dog aggression APBTs and amstaffs

Peopple who have researched really thoroughly and have spent of time with the breed (eg getting to know breeders, going to lots of dog shows etc) and are extremely dedicated first time owners are not included in the "inexperienced" group :rofl:

Edited by aussielover

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree.

Great Danes are not dangerous or extremely destrcutive if they have an inexperienced owner.

Any breed can get out of control if they aren't taught manners and training - due to the size of a Great Dane it would be more obvious than in a Chihuahua.

Disagree.

Great Danes are not dangerous or extremely destrcutive if they have an inexperienced owner.

Any breed can get out of control if they aren't taught manners and training - due to the size of a Great Dane it would be more obvious than in a Chihuahua.

Well said.

It depends on the potential owner, doesn't it? Maybe there are some folks who should never have a powerful, serious dog, but others might be born for it and revel in it.

I would add the primitive breeds such as Akita, Chow Chow, possibly Shiba Inu and Finnish Spitz, most likely Basenji. All those breeds might suit the right type of first time dog owner, but maybe there aren't many of those. Maybe there aren't many experienced owners, even, that would get along well with such breeds. :( And there are always individuals of any breed that are particularly easy going.

I have thought about this alot- I used to say I wouldn't recommend Rottweilers to first time owners however I have since changed my mind. A rottweiler needs space (as in yard space), constant training, to be a part of the family unit (they are a very family oriented dog), the need socilisation. If a person can dedicate the time required to spend with a rottweiler then I would have no objection in recommending one.

Any dog can become distructive, generally its through boredom. These dogs require mental and physical stimulation. If you do that you will have a very happy dog and a faithful friend. Also they are awesome with children :( but just like any dog, shouldn't be left unattended with a child.

ETA: I would also hope that I would be a good judge of character :rofl:

Edited by TrinaJ

Sibes aren't big dogs, even males won't be any bigger than 30kg generally speaking. I don't often recommend Sibes to people, even people who are experienced dog owners, because it's not just about how experienced you are IMO - some breeds will just not be the right fit for your lifestyle. I know people who are very experienced dog owners who would never want to own a Sibe (despite how pretty they are :(). Not because the breed is so difficult to own, but you just have to be the right person to own one.

I would add Miniature Pinschers to the list mainly because they are very intelligent and can be highly-strung. All that mental energy needs an outlet plus they require more exercise than many new dog owners would anticipate given their size.

Ridgebacks are not often recommended for first time owners, though I think as long as you do your research (and are prepared for a steep learning curve regardless :( ) then breed is irrelevant.

Any breed that sits on the extreme end of the scale- extremely large breeds, extremely independant breeds, high drive/working line breeds, breeds that require extensive grooming, etc are going to need some extra consideration.

It depends on the potential owner, doesn't it? Maybe there are some folks who should never have a powerful, serious dog, but others might be born for it and revel in it.

:rofl: yep, some of us are suckers for a challenge.

I think you'll find that this is the sort of topic that will have so many varied opinions. I personally think Rotties are amazing dogs for first time owners. I don't have an Akita yet, but I have heard they are not for first time owners as they need a very dominant, confident owner. Each to their own really. I think what's more important is how persistent people are willing to be if they are having issues.

I don't think it is a matter of being an experienced owner but rather being a good owner :rofl:

My thoughts exactly. Experience doesn't aquaint with knowledge either.

I think provided a novice dog owner researches a breed, takes time to learn about what is required to keep it and is prepared to put effort in, then any breed might be suitable.

I can think of people who've owned several dogs that I wouldn't recommend as dog owners for any breed. :(

I thought beagles were pretty easygoing?

There are heaps in my area that are all lovely dogs and generally very easy. They may not win obedience competitions but they do all the basic stuff like come, sit, down etc.

Mindy has 3 beagle friends that she plays with and all are walked off lead with no probs :( They are some of the most dog and human aprropriate dogs i have met- happy to have a play at the energy level of the other dog and happy to have a pat by a human but not pyscho and jumping all over you lol!

yep thought Danes were a little out of place.

Why do people think Dobes aren't for first timers. curious.

I think that Dobes need a strong, confident leader that knows how to be 'top dog'. If I was a breeder I would not sell (Dobermann) puppies to someone that has not owned or spent much time around dogs before. The breeder I brought my most recent pup from will not sell to people he can't meet in person and will not commit to selling a pup until he is satisfied that you know enough about the breed and what to expect from their temperament (they breed working line dobes) and that you will be able to provide them with the environment and training that they need.

I would also add Bull Terriers to the list. NOT dogs for the inexperienced!

I thought beagles were pretty easygoing?

There are heaps in my area that are all lovely dogs and generally very easy. They may not win obedience competitions but they do all the basic stuff like come, sit, down etc.

Mindy has 3 beagle friends that she plays with and all are walked off lead with no probs :rofl: They are some of the most dog and human aprropriate dogs i have met- happy to have a play at the energy level of the other dog and happy to have a pat by a human but not pyscho and jumping all over you lol!

There are also loads of beags in rescue because people think they look cute as puppies but don't realise they can be quite stubborn and independent and require a fair bit of mental and physical exercise. I was aware of all of that when I got my beag and I have found her more challenging to live with than my Siberian.

Although when I said I like a challenge I meant because I do obedience with my beagle moreso than what the dogs are like to live with. Doing obedience competition and doing it well with a beagle can be a bit more of a challenge than it is with more biddable breeds who are naturally interested in working with you :(

Edited by huski

I believe any breed can be suitable for a first time dog owner providing both parties are fully aware of the breed in question & it's requirements.

Previous dog experience doesn't always equate to being a better owner or better prepared .