What Breeds Wouldn't You Recommend For A First Time Onwer?

aussielover

And the reverse is true. I have a Bichon Frise at home who is so willing and pliable, he could be owned by most people and he would be a very hard dog to 'stuff up'.

So a very suitable breed for a first time owner - so long as they understand the need to groom.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think effort and education should rule over experience. I know lots of people who have had several dogs, but should probably have bought a pet fish instead. I also know some first time owners who go above and beyond to meet the needs of their dog, no matter what breed.

I think all of my dogs would have been OK with first time owners - except for Champa who would put people off dogs for life! LOL!

And the reverse is true. I have a Bichon Frise at home who is so willing and pliable, he could be owned by most people and he would be a very hard dog to 'stuff up'.

So a very suitable breed for a first time owner - so long as they understand the need to groom.

We board & groom many Stuffed up Bichons .

My first puppy, arriving here at her new home in 3 weeks.....

She is a beagle....what am I in for?! hehehe

Question if I may...don't mean to sidetrack though..

Some people, here and elsewhere have suggested that a Beagle is not the right dog for a newbie (I have wanted one since I was a young kid and 30 odd years later im ready to take on the challange)

However, when i was at the Royal Brisbane Show on Saturday, watching the beagles on show....each and every one of them seemed so well behaved...so calm. (edit - even the puppie classes) A friend that was with me even went so far to say they were most likely doped up.

Does this seriously happen or is it just a case of some very well trained, well behaved Beagles? Because if those beagles were anything to go by, Beagles would seem to make the perfect first dog.

I guess it all comes down to what a owner us up for....high energy, detailed and lengthy grooming sessions etc

Thinking about it, I don't see why any breed wouldnt make a first great dog. As long research is done, the right puppy is picked and proper training and stimulation is practiced what would be the problem?? My inlaws got a Great Dane as their first dog and he is just a gem....a real sweetie (except when he wants to sit on your lap to watch tv....or if his wagging tail whacks you in the nether regions. Now they have a dalmatian and although they are now pretty well experienced with the Dane, the Dalmatian is giving them some issues (jumping up and been toilet training for about 4 months now with little success but then, he is a pup still.

Of course im a newbie and have nooo real experience on this matter, only that as a young kid. Just my observations so far.

Edited by Ishy

Haha! The first dog I owned myself (that wasn't a 'family' dog) was a very strong willed Alaskan Malamute. He kept me on my toes but it was great, I loved how I always had to be two steps ahead of him and I loved the kind of mental challenge he gave me. I think he was a perfect choice for my first dog :laugh:

Everyone is different, and different people can handle different things. Just because a person has experience doesn't automatically mean they are a good dog owner.

However, when i was at the Royal Brisbane Show on Saturday, watching the beagles on show....each and every one of them seemed so well behaved...so calm. (edit - even the puppie classes) A friend that was with me even went so far to say they were most likely doped up.

Does this seriously happen or is it just a case of some very well trained, well behaved Beagles? Because if those beagles were anything to go by, Beagles would seem to make the perfect first dog.

They are trained dogs,you also would have seen all the other trained dogs aswell certainly not doped.Your friend's comment shows he has no clue :laugh:

They are trained for the ring BUT how they have at home is again another training process.

The beagle brigade lived with us for 7 yrs,handed in pets that had destroyed homes & the owners couldn't deal with it any longer.

We noard alot of beagles varying from "i hope they mever come back to very nice"

I believe many people get beagles expecting to create something there not.

If you have researched & understand the breed for what it is you will fine but need to remember there not bringing home "SnoopY' there bringing home a hound & a breed that is very much a pack animal whether via the hunt or home

I would add Miniature Pinschers to the list mainly because they are very intelligent and can be highly-strung. All that mental energy needs an outlet plus they require more exercise than many new dog owners would anticipate given their size.

No.

Completely disagree.

As a first time dog owner I had a female Min Pin and she was an absolute angel. As are my two boys now.

It's not that they need more exercise, it is that they have more stamina than the average SWF and can go for hours - IF given the opportunity. Otherwise they are happy to sit at home and be lapdogs.

They aren't meant to be highly strung - just wary of strangers and good watchdogs.

However, like everyone else has said it depends on the owner, and how much work they are prepared to put in to ensure they have a happy, obedient dog!

As others have said, it's not so much experience

but the outlook and expectations of the owner.

I run a pack of 8 large dogs from the OP's list,

and really the average chi, pom or mini poodle: I have no idea how to relate to them;

we exist on a different frequency.

I'd be a disasterous owner, irrespective of experience.

Kudos to the owners of chis, poms, mini poodles and the like :laugh:

but they're way out of the realm of possibiliy and successful actuality for me.

Everyone is different, and different people can handle different things. Just because a person has experience doesn't automatically mean they are a good dog owner.
Edited by lilli

Any dog has the potential to be a great first time dog.

It all depends on the owners and how the dog fits their personality, commitment and lifetsyle.

Working dogs from working lines may need a little more effort but that's not to say they can't be anyones first dog.

All buyers should get to know the parents of the pup they are buying to get a better understanding of how they can expect their puppy to behave, this along with providing all the things a growing dog needs to become a good adult dog.

Plenty of people talk about first time owners getting more than what they bargained for with certain breeds and not coping. BUT - I wonder how many people got the opposite? My dog can be challenging in certain areas (obedience training for one), but on the whole I have found him a very, very easy dog to live with.

I prepared myself for a hyper, destructo dog who would need plenty of excercise and metal stimulation, a lot of management and some very strong leadership. And (while of course he does need the leadership and ground rules) he has turned out to be rather the opposite. I have to admit that I feel kind of ripped off in a way.. that my dog is so layed back where I am more go go go.. Perhaps I over prepared? Or chose the wrong breed? But on some level it is disappointing.

As much as I love my dog I know that the next puppy I choose will be the complete opposite of him in many ways.

I think that as a first time dog owner it is very difficult to know exactly what type of dog will suit you and what you will come to enjoy later down the track. For instance you hear so many new dog owners say something along the lines of they would like a dog who is good with kids, happy to excercise it for x hours per day, happy to spend x amount of time grooming it and wants to do some basic obedience training. 2 years later that owner may have discovered that they don't really like obedience and would have prefered a competative agility dog, or that they particularly enjoy grooming and wish they had bought a long coated breed.

Sometimes you really don't know what you want until after you try :D

I don't think it is a matter of being an experienced owner but rather being a good owner :D

My thoughts exactly. Experience doesn't aquaint with knowledge either.

I think provided a novice dog owner researches a breed, takes time to learn about what is required to keep it and is prepared to put effort in, then any breed might be suitable.

I can think of people who've owned several dogs that I wouldn't recommend as dog owners for any breed. :D

Totally agree with this. My first dog (Xena) is a REALLY high drive Border Collie who for many people, even those who have had 3 or 4 or 5 dogs would just be too much.

I LOVE her and put the work in because of her needs and she has turned me into the dog nut I am now. I think it depends on the type of person, the time they have to commit and their general outlook on life.

Some people should never own some breeds, some people will cope with whatever is thrown at them.

I am a first time owner and I got a Rottweiler, after explaining why I wanted one and passing the screening. I didn't know much about dogs, but did my research into the breed and was finally sold a very dominant pup (after being rejected by around 4 breeders for no particular reason).

Now? 3 years on, 99% of the time, he is the best behaved/most well trained dog at an off-leash park. People are always commenting on how responsive and obedient he is. Even though he is extremely dominant, I am on top of him. The breeder had said to me that I turned out to be the best owner from that litter.

I guess my point is, breeders shouldn't discriminate against first time owners, judge the potential owner on their own merits.

I agree that it's not the breed that should not be rec for first time owners.

There are many variables in breeds, and in people.

Self knowledge is important. I know I would not cope with a more 'dominant'(I loathe that word :laugh: ) dog, and I would not get the best out of it, and the dog would not be at it's best with me.

There are also many dogs that are sensitive and would be crushed and ruined by a more pedantic owner. It's certainly not just the stronger dogs (temp) who need the right owner.

Hopefully breeders can match pups up with owners that suit although logically this is not always possible.

Years ago we had a very sensitive wolfhound, the breeders kept him for 10 months as they could not find a person they considered 'right' for him. Luckily I was right and he turned out to be a perfect match for me in every way.

Question if I may...don't mean to sidetrack though..

Some people, here and elsewhere have suggested that a Beagle is not the right dog for a newbie (I have wanted one since I was a young kid and 30 odd years later im ready to take on the challange)

I guess it all comes down to what a owner us up for....high energy, detailed and lengthy grooming sessions etc

As others have said I don't think they are wrong for the right type of new owner.

Beagles are lovely dogs, I think some people just underestimate the training and exercise they can require.

A well trained beagle doesn't just happen, you need to put some work in to it to get what you want. Of course what 'trained' means will differ from person to person too :) beags are generally quite food motivated so that does help when it comes to training.

Normally I would say the Rottweiler or GSD is not for the first time dog owner as some people buy them for the wrong reasons and have no idea how to raise them correctly. They don't give them any socialization or training and leave them in the yard day and night. :)

These people then blame the dog for being uncontrollable and the poor dog gets put in the pound, then they go and get another one and the cycle starts all over again. :thumbsup:

When you think of it, everyone was once a first time dog owner. If they choose a Rottie or GSD and buy them from the clubs then go to obedience training run by both clubs ( the Rottweiler club of NSW and the GSDL have excellent training) then I can't see much of a problem. The clubs will teach them how to handle and raise these wonderful breeds correctly, especially the stubborn ones. :thumbsup:

1st time owners are like 1st time parents. Some are sensible & aware of needs & others are hopeless.

Likewise some dogs are hard & some are easy, regardless of breed.

Obviously the bigger the dog the more risk if it gets out of control. As long as the person is really fully aware of the breed & its needs & characteristics I can't see a problem with any.

People not breeds are the problem. Couch potato laid back dog would never have suited me from childhood.

Suprised to see Danes on that list too, my best ever dog.

Worst was a Chihuahua, absolute little bugger.

Westies can also be very stubborn. Depends on the individual dog really & the person.

I would add Miniature Pinschers to the list mainly because they are very intelligent and can be highly-strung. All that mental energy needs an outlet plus they require more exercise than many new dog owners would anticipate given their size.

No.

Completely disagree.

As a first time dog owner I had a female Min Pin and she was an absolute angel. As are my two boys now.

It's not that they need more exercise, it is that they have more stamina than the average SWF and can go for hours - IF given the opportunity. Otherwise they are happy to sit at home and be lapdogs.

They aren't meant to be highly strung - just wary of strangers and good watchdogs.

However, like everyone else has said it depends on the owner, and how much work they are prepared to put in to ensure they have a happy, obedient dog!

My mum has a min pin and she doesn't get walked much and is fine indoors and in her pen when Shyla visits. However yep IF given the chance she can go for hours, if we go for a huge walk with all the dogs, she doesn't sleep for ages after while the big dogs are out flat! Very smart breed though and very noisy, but not "challenging" as such (or this one isn't anyway)

My first dog was a cattle cross shepherd with some bully . he was a big learning experience he was aggressive , what i learnt was fear aggression got him from the rspca i had to learn quickly about obedience got bark busters in witch helped me heaps he was always aggressive towards bikes and people he didn't know but we got though life and sadly he passed away at 12 years old .

then i had a cattle dog pup best dog i ever had easy to train , i loved him to death but later found out he had a heartmumor and lost him .

then after that i wanted a large dog and fluffy one . so that's when i got my first belgian i started with a ex show dog 4 year old was advice of the breeder i taught him to sit and shack and we did some tracking with him too and i still have him and he is nearly 10 years old and then i got my first belgian puppy , jasper he was picked on temperament gentle and quite we had our bumps but he is a very well behaved dog but yet again it comes down to training on him .

I also had a working dog belgian that was going to do agility with but didn't get that far as she has gone missing . i think any dog can be a first owners dog if they do the research and meet the breed or even take on a older dog for the experience before taking on a pup .

At the end of the day it all comes down to training as well, the breeding lines . if you are not willing to put in time and effort in a pup / dog then you should think wisely about being a owner they are a life commitments and its just like having kids

Edited by kat99

I know people who are very experienced dog owners who would never want to own a Sibe (despite how pretty they are :heart:). Not because the breed is so difficult to own, but you just have to be the right person to own one.

I think they are very pretty but am happy to admire everyone else's...not the dog for me.

I don't have an Akita yet, but I have heard they are not for first time owners as they need a very dominant, confident owner.

Actually, like a few people have said, a first time owner can be excellent if they do their research and are committed to satisfying the needs of the dog. A friend's daughter and her new hubby (both very mellow, laid back people) were interested in getting an akita as their first dog, which rang alarm bells for me, especially with two toddlers placing demands on their time. I advised against it as a first dog and told them all the reasons why. They answered, "Yes, we read all that and we don't have a problem with it." Sure enough, they didn't have a problem and have a beautifully behaved, well adjusted dog.

:) yep, some of us are suckers for a challenge.

...and that's how I ended up with a Siberian and a beagle :laugh: :p

Sucker for punishment more like. :wave: ;)

i wouldnt reccommend large or big breeds dogs to a first time owner purely because if a big dog gets out of control it is harder to restrain than a small breed dog. without the experience in how to train and handle a dog, size really does matter. ie; an excited chi jumps up on you it doesnt cause that much damage vs an excited rotti jumping up on you.

I think the opposite - that first time owners should be forbidden from owning small dogs so that they realise that a dog is not a walking teddy bear. Too many people use lack of size as an excuse for a completely out of control dog. There are some good small dog owners out there but there are also a lot of small irritating untrained shits. I'm so sick of people thinking it's ok for their small dog to jump up and basically do whatever it pleases because it's 'cute'. Always makes me feel tempted to egg Ella into a state of excitement and try to get her to jump on them and say "Still think it's cute?"

Having a large dog as my first dog really forced me to take responsibility for being a dog owner as I thought, "I can't have a large, out of control dog" so I stepped up. It was a learning curve and I may not have been the perfect owner but we did lots of obedience and I learned a lot about dogs and myself, then came Ella the dynamo - two thirds the size and twenty times the energy - thank dog she wasn't first!!

My first puppy, arriving here at her new home in 3 weeks.....

She is a beagle....what am I in for?! hehehe

I'd be spending the next three weeks finding out if I was you. :cry: Huski is a good person to chat to, she'll give you all the beagle goss.

I once went to collect a beagle on behalf of a rescue group from a hysterical woman who was at her wits' end because the beagle had demolished half of her house and turned her entire garden into a sandpit. I just wanted to grab the dog and get out of there but the woman kept handing me bits of skirting and door frame, saying "Look, she just ate it right off the walls, why didn't anyone tell me they were so destructive" and bawling her eyes out. I think she was just trying to justify in her head handing the dog over but I felt so uncomfortable, there was just nothing I could say except "she'll be going somewhere suitable and nice where they know how to handle beagles." The poor dog had just been bored silly in a too small yard with not enough exercise, not enough inclusion and not enough mental stimulation, but where another breed might have coped in that house with that woman and their lifestyle, a beagle could not.

EFS.

Edited by hortfurball