I Think My Dog Is About To Explode

HugUrPup

I was sick in bed all day and my kids stayed home :laugh:

My son decided to feed the dogs. When I came down stairs there were 3 large bowls FULL to the brim of kibble and a very bloated pug.

Ollie looks pregnant and I am afraid of giving him water because the food may expand.

What should I do? Does he need a vet?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd leave him be and don't feed him for a day or so. Boofy and Olivia have done this before to me by getting into bulk bags of kibble at various times. They burb, fart and crap like crazy for days and then all is well again with the world. :laugh:

Remove water until tomorrow morning.

Edited by ~Anne~

Thanks Anne LOL I look forward to all the poop :laugh:

OK he is water and food free for at least 2 days.

Not water free, just food. Only remove the water for tonight. Let him drink water again tomorrow or he will dehydrate.

Mine were given a bowl with a lick and promise at dinner times just so they didn't think they were missing out. :) Just smear a touch of food around the bowl and let him lick at it or only give him a few teaspoons (depending on how much kibble he has actually eaten) when you next feed him.

When Boof did it, he was so swollen he could only lie like a big fat farting log all day. ;)

Edited by ~Anne~

In situations like that I always call my vet to see if they suggest coming in.

Yep, I do that too but most Vets will advise bringing them in anyway. My Vets, whom I know personally, tell me what I need to do over the phone. The last few 'eating' accidents we've had was Boof eating an entire bag of milk bottle lollies (he blew up like a balloon and then vomitted everywhere) and the Vet said he'd be fine and the time beofre that (you might remeber this one Pugger) was when the 3 of them ate a couple of packets of worming tablets. My Vet laughed and said what a waste of worming tablets. :laugh:

Pugs are notorious for eating things they shouldn't, just like Labs are.

No food for a 24 hour period and assess how he he is going/looking after that time. Very small quantities of water, every 2 hours to ensure he stays hydrated. And I mean small quantities - take up his water bowl so he has no access, give him a couple of tablespoons of water at a time and that is it. The salt in the food will make him thirsty, so you do need to keep up his water intake. Gentle on lead exercise will help to stimulate the stomach and gut and bowels too, so keep him moving around every few hours too. No hooning around or playing games as there is too much pressure on the stomach at the moment, the exercise must just be gentle walking.

The vet will no doubt tell you to bring him in to monitor him - if you dont feel experienced or comfortable enough to monitor him yourself, then I would take him in just to get him checked.

Thanks for the advice gspmadhouse.

I'll do as you suggest. I feel comfortable just keeping an eye on him myself and giving him sips of water every couple of hours.

The weather is crap so no walks, but he is still able to move around ok and still able to jump up on the couch.

vet made my 2 beagles vomit when the ate the entire contents of my bottom shelf when my house guest left the cupboard door open. Id prefer to do that then have to worry about bloat etc. Thats just how I feel though.