I Feel Like Killing My Dog

indigirl

We had a Pointer growing up who enjoyed gardening :confused:

It took two hour long walks a day and training time, even then he was supervised the whole time while outside.

Seeing as my mum had a lot of gatherings at the house we couldn't have massive pot holes in the lawn.

It took management but it worked.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you find the dog digging, run towards her making loud noises. Push her to the ground and roll her around manhandling her. This is what the pack leader would do if she disobeyed.

Let her know it is wrong to dig.

what the ...

Agree with poodlefan x 100. If the dog is already in the process of digging and you run out and abuse it in this manner what have you taught it - nothing. Dog thinks you're a lunatic attacking it for no good reason. Dogs dont simply lunge at each other randomly :confused: All you achieve is a dog that will be unsure and actually see you LESS as a leader because you're random and inconsistant.

If you want to stop behaviours like this you have to block access when unsupervised and when supervised stop the behaviour right when she shows interest in digging not while she's half way to the water pipes.

Like I said try the tough booties or put down the concrete weldmesh over the lawn and let that grow around it. You should be able to pick that up cheaply at metal recyclers or wholesalers

What do you think Nekhbet? Ouch about this inside of your car too!

eh working line Malinois vs commodore interior. she's even ripped the spare tyre up out of the well it sits in. My fault for not crating her as she's trained never to burst one of those (thank christ)

I'd want to see the dog and the situation before e-collar. I'd be seeing whats in the soil too, there could be something in there driving her bananas and encouraging her to dig.

barking at birds though is usually prey drive towards a moving stimulus. Once thats cemented that is a pain to try and fix at times especially in active easily stimulated working breeds. Actually I'm surprised thats one thing my Malinois doesnt care about :confused:

:) your poor innocent commodore. It never stood a chance :)

I laughed when I read the post that said she doesnt respect me. What the f*** does respect have to do with a dog thats obsessed with digging? Until you have seen her in action its difficult to understand I guess. Shes normally well behaved, she does get barky at times but I have a barking collar that I use on her bad days. She isnt destructive at all in the house, she doesnt chew up bedding or even stuffed toys anymore. She can be trusted to be left in the house for hours when Im out. She will sit, stay, drop, and has a brilliant recall. She heels when i insist and I am always getting comments on how well behaved/trained she is. She understands lots of other commands too, things like get in the car, wait, roll over etc. I ask her if she needs to go to the loo and she will go to the back door if she needs to go. She is a well behaved dog, trained to a point where she is easy to live with. Ive taught her manners, she knows not to barge past me to get in the door - stuff like that. I used to take her to obedience but it was just too boring for her and she didnt enjoy it. She is great in the ring - unless its windy or she's in season then shes a bit scatty. She is storm phobic but soon as she hears thunder in the distance she will start barking and i crate her, she settles very quickly in her crate. She is a lovely affectionate happy dog. Its just the digging that does my head in.

Indigo who's the boss you or the dog. You are the pack leader and the dog does as you say. :rofl:

You also say this....she heels when I insist. Well insist she doesn't dig.

You also say she isn't destructive in the house....of course not, you can get to her quickly to correct her.

Now nobody tell me I don't know what I am talking because I do.

1. Instructor at obedience

2. Titled dogs in obedience

4. Passes at Best in Trial level

5. Held an obedience judges licence.

When you find the dog digging, run towards her making loud noises. Push her to the ground and roll her around manhandling her. This is what the pack leader would do if she disobeyed. Oh come on. Where is rolling a dog around on the ground going to do anything but freak out the dog? If you're going to instruct someone to use the alpha roll, without first knowing anything about that dog or its situation, then at least try and tell them how to use it properly. Without "rolling them around on the ground" Or better yet, don't recommend something like that...

If that fails think up things that are displeasing so that when she digs she will blame herself for it. Dogs don't "blame themselves." Not in the same way a human does. The point of a correction is that the dog will stop doing whatever they're doing. Either because they want to avoid a correction, or because they're associated that act with a correction. Its not that the dog feels bad about what its doing and says to itself "oh that correction was all my fault, darn :)"

It's also very easy with electric collars. Put one on her and let go out side and when start to dig zap her.

If you are not standing close to her and do this every time she starts to dig she will soon blame herself.

When using an E-collar, you don't just put the collar on and give her a zap. You first have to make the collar mean nothing special, or she'll learn that collar = zap. No collar = free digging time! And you would also need a real trainer to come in and check out whats happening. There way be something going on that the owner just can't see. No fault of the owners, but when you see something often you might miss out on something!

Make the dog blame herself for digging. She will soon learn that digging brings bad results for her and she will think she causes it and should stop. :rofl:

Just make sure you are well away from the dog when she gets zapped in this case you want the dog to blame herself.

If you want the dog to blame you and see you as pack leader, try the first method. :rofl:

Edited by lovemesideways

Please note that I also have a piece of paper that says I am also qualified (Gov. Reg.) to tell you how to train and educate a dog.

One does not get to this level without knowledge how to train.

I use the Kohler method.

By running toward the dog = gesture of attack= by loud noises = dogs dislike loud harsh noises.

These are things that dogs dislike, so we use them to train them not to do certain things by using them.

Dogs dislike manhandling = we use this sense to deter the dog.

One always tries to get the dog to blame themselves not the handler.

Dogs associate one thing with another. So if you can get the dog to blame selves = bad experience from digging such as a zap they believe they caused the

problem by digging and soon learn to stop.

Don't believe me.......I don't care in the least. But I am, telling you the truth. :confused:

Other training methods also work.

All roads lead to Rome.

If I ran out and scruffed or rolled my malinois for digging in the garden, I'd a) probably get bitten for my trouble, and b) she probably wouldn't trust me for several weeks after the fact. Why should she? I'd have proven myself crazy & violent. Not all dogs will put up with that kind of cr*p from their owner.

Oakway- Iam not a trainer's bootlace .....despite having trained/worked with dogs for many years

I respect that you have studied and have your certification

I respect that you have experience.

HOWEVER

advice on manhandling dogs and the use of ecollars is best given in person, and after assessment of the dog and the situation , don't you think?

If I ran out and scruffed or rolled my malinois for digging in the garden, I'd a) probably get bitten for my trouble, and b) she probably wouldn't trust me for several weeks after the fact. Why should she? I'd have proven myself crazy & violent. Not all dogs will put up with that kind of cr*p from their owner.

i have a softish dog and if i did this i think not only would she think i was crazy but i suspect she would never trust me the same way again. i think something in her would break.

in all the research i did on her breed the one thing they all said was this breed was sensitive to the tone of the person and i have found that to be true.

IMO it is vital that any training be matched to the temperment of the dog and if i was unsure of what to do i would get in a trainer/behaviouralist to help

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Oakway- Iam not a trainer's bootlace .....despite having trained/worked with dogs for many years

I respect that you have studied and have your certification

I respect that you have experience.

HOWEVER

advice on manhandling dogs and the use of ecollars is best given in person, and after assessment of the dog and the situation , don't you think?

No.

You can obtain any of this simple information on the internet.

dogs know that humans aren't dogs. Trying to act like a dog and correct your dog like you're one is just silly IMO.

But then again, I don't have a certificate.

I have never heard of a qualified trainer saying that a consultation isn't necessary and someone should just get info off the 'net.

When you find the dog digging, run towards her making loud noises. Push her to the ground and roll her around manhandling her. This is what the pack leader would do if she disobeyed.

This is effing hilarious! I'm the biggest dog training novice out but even I know that this CANNOT be right!

Watch Cesar Milan much? :confused: I think your taking it too seriously!

dogs dont blame themselves. THey learn either through classical or operant conditioning and you're relying on the fact the dog would receive a stim every time she started to dig hence positively punished for trying to dig.

It could work but I wouldnt be telling someone whos dog you havnt seen to simply zap it with an e-collar or man handle it when you dont know the exact temperament of the dog or the capabilities of the owner.

Once I got angry at my dog while she was in the process of destroying the outdoor bedding, and for a week afterwards she cowered and ran away every time I so much as opened the door to let her in. What a failure, as I felt terrible, and she still ate the bedding while I wasn't watching :confused:

This is effing hilarious! I'm the biggest dog training novice out but even I know that this CANNOT be right!

Watch Cesar Milan much? :confused: I think your taking it too seriously!

I don't think it hilarious. I think it is quite dangerous. How do you know the dog won't get a fright and act aggressively or totally freak out?

A number of people have already said that they don't think their dogs would have coped if they attempted this.

I don't think a responsible and professional trainer or behaviourist would recommend this type of technique without having assessed the dog first in person.

Surely if you think it is a leadership issue (and i don't think it is), then a firm NO would be all that was needed. I can't imagine why you would have to resort to yelling at the dog and throwing it to the floor, in fact I can't really imagine a situation where you would ever need to resort to this sort of behaviour.

Please note that I also have a piece of paper that says I am also qualified (Gov. Reg.) to tell you how to train and educate a dog.

One does not get to this level without knowledge how to train.

I use the Kohler method.

By running toward the dog = gesture of attack= by loud noises = dogs dislike loud harsh noises.

These are things that dogs dislike, so we use them to train them not to do certain things by using them.

Dogs dislike manhandling = we use this sense to deter the dog.

Dogs associate one thing with another. So if you can get the dog to blame selves = bad experience from digging such as a zap they believe they caused the

problem by digging and soon learn to stop.

Don't believe me.......I don't care in the least. But I am, telling you the truth. :confused:

Other training methods also work.

All roads lead to Rome.

For one thing, I'm guessing you mean the method created by William Koehler?

Dogs don't "blame". Not the way a human does.

Like Nekhbet said, they learn through either operant or associate conditioning.

If I ran at my dog yelling and then threw him to the ground and rolled him around, he would freak out. Shut down and not function properly for the next few hours. Thats right, HOURS. He is very soft, and any kind of correction effects him extremely badly. It would drastically effect the confidence I have worked so hard to build.

Exactly. Opposite reaction that my dog would have, but proves the extreme reactions a dog can have to something like that.

I'm not sure wthat would happen to my poor dog if I tried that on her, but I sure as hell don't want to find out.

BTW a pack leader- and by this i assume you mean like the alpha in a wolf pack, would not start a full on agressive confrontation to discipline a pack member.

For a dog in the highest social position all that would be needed would be a look or possibly a warning growl.

I think this comes down to an outlook on life as a dog owner.

My dogs have destroyed things, dug holes, pissed on things they shouldn't have. That all comes back to me. They do things they find rewarding. If I don't like it, I need to find a way to stop them. If they do something I don't like, I didn't manage or train against it - my fault. Even when I'm sick.

In this case if it was important to me to have a nice garden and I had a dog that loved, loved, loved to dig I would probably fence off the section I wanted to preserve while I worked on a more long term solution. Allowing the dog to piss you off doesn't help anyone - not you, not the dog.

I can think of one person I know who has a lovely back garden and lawn and dogs and he works hard at managing them. The dogs don't get unsupervised access to the garden and have runs. There is even a specific spot where they pee so they don't burn the lawn. Most people I know with dogs have a back yard that looks like a moonscape/dusty tundra/junk yard.

Agree with whoever said to treat the lawn. Ours dig sometimes, but pretty much only when they are ant-hunting. We also have a dog who is a crazily accurate cicada jumper - he stops, listens, then leaps on the spot where the noisy buggers are to shut them up!