indigirl

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indigirl:
I accept she may be frustrated as she hasnt been walked this week, but honestly thats not why she does it.

OK. Why do you think she's doing it? My money's on boredom. Give her a good hour walk every day for a week and see if she still does it with such fervour. I'm betting she doesn't.

You can't expect an adult gundog to get no exercise without seeking stimulation somehow. Personally I think a half hour's training and one hour of offlead exercise daily would make a massive difference to both your lives.

I think you need to stop blaming the dog. You're the one who controls her life.

Marie does. I've come to the conclusion that some dogs just love to dig. I think with Marie it is a combination of enjoying digging BUT she has at some point discovered bugs to eat in the ground and now digs like a mad woman to find more - she loves those big white fat wormy/buggy things.

Marie is walked for half an hour each morning, she is walked for an hour in the middle of the day, she is walked for half an hour again each afternoon (morning & afternoon walks are slow walks with another dog to get the kids from the bus, midday walk is a fast walk for exercise). She has other dogs for company. I do bits and pieces of obedience with her but IME more importantly she spends loads of time with us and the kids and she still digs. I can NOT leave her unsupervised or I will have holes and all it takes is 5 minutes. This morning we had come back from the bus walk and I was talking to the lady from down the road for 2 minutes and she started digging. I gave her a correction and 30 seconds later she was digging again. ETA - she was on lead less than a metre from me.

When I board her they can only allow her outside into a run when supervised as she will dig huge holes. We have laid chook wire under plants and she has dug through the wire even though it was pegged down with many long pegs.

Yes I accept that for MOST dogs digging is a boredom thing but after having lived with Marie I am very confident that for a small number of dogs digging has nothing to do with the amount of stuff you do with them.

Edited by Trisven13

Mine love to dig too, but master Gillie is the supreme hole digger !! luckily he has his own patch of dirt in the run, (which used to be grass) and I've leant out the window and watched him....the sheer joy on his face while he digs is quite funny !!

And he still finds the energy to dig after a huge free gallop in the paddock.

I've found the only way to have a front lawn is for the dogs to have their own yard without access to the one patch I'd like to look nice !

My dear departed Molly used to dig holes the size of burial plots - and in fact she was threatened with disposal in one of them after I fell into it in the dark and lay there with my leg somewhere up my back !!!!!

in summary......fence off what you don't what trashed !!!! same goes for garden beds, clothes lines ect...

I go for the path of least resistance......don't have the patience to do otherwise !

fifi

Sounds like doggie hasn't been walked because Indigirl is sick this week.

My borders love digging. Especially when they are younger. It has always just looked like a fun thing to me.

post-10280-1282864998_thumb.jpg

I would just keep her off the grass. Maybe look into doing some retrieving trial type stuff with her. Or search and rescue :o , she would be brill digging in snow to rescue someone!

Just try and remember that she isn't doing it with malice, animals don't do that (well maybe cats do!).

man, that sounds really tough indigirl... I feel for you.

I have a kind of reverse idea of what you're doing:

Rather than a concreted pen, you could make a pen that just has dirt in it (or sand or mulch) and just let her go for it in there? if you put shade cloth on the fence, that will keep the dirt from flying out and you can just smooth it over when she's done.

I understand you are worried about her somehow causing herself damage from digging - I don't know, is it really likely that the hole will collapse on her? I'm not sure? (genuine query)

Maybe you could keep a bit of an eye on her while she's in her digging pen.

I laughed when I read the post that said she doesnt respect me. What the f*** does respect have to do with a dog thats obsessed with digging? Until you have seen her in action its difficult to understand I guess. Shes normally well behaved, she does get barky at times but I have a barking collar that I use on her bad days. She isnt destructive at all in the house, she doesnt chew up bedding or even stuffed toys anymore. She can be trusted to be left in the house for hours when Im out. She will sit, stay, drop, and has a brilliant recall. She heels when i insist and I am always getting comments on how well behaved/trained she is. She understands lots of other commands too, things like get in the car, wait, roll over etc. I ask her if she needs to go to the loo and she will go to the back door if she needs to go. She is a well behaved dog, trained to a point where she is easy to live with. Ive taught her manners, she knows not to barge past me to get in the door - stuff like that. I used to take her to obedience but it was just too boring for her and she didnt enjoy it. She is great in the ring - unless its windy or she's in season then shes a bit scatty. She is storm phobic but soon as she hears thunder in the distance she will start barking and i crate her, she settles very quickly in her crate. She is a lovely affectionate happy dog. Its just the digging that does my head in.

Indigo who's the boss you or the dog. You are the pack leader and the dog does as you say. :o

You also say this....she heels when I insist. Well insist she doesn't dig.

You also say she isn't destructive in the house....of course not, you can get to her quickly to correct her.

Now nobody tell me I don't know what I am talking because I do.

1. Instructor at obedience

2. Titled dogs in obedience

4. Passes at Best in Trial level

5. Held an obedience judges licence.

When you find the dog digging, run towards her making loud noises. Push her to the ground and roll her around manhandling her. This is what the pack leader would do if she disobeyed.

Let her know it is wrong to dig.

If that fails think up things that are displeasing so that when she digs she will blame herself for it.

It's also very easy with electric collars. Put one on her and let go out side and when start to dig zap her.

If you are not standing close to her and do this every time she starts to dig she will soon blame herself.

Make the dog blame herself for digging. She will soon learn that digging brings bad results for her and she will think she causes it and should stop. :eek:

Just make sure you are well away from the dog when she gets zapped in this case you want the dog to blame herself.

If you want the dog to blame you and see you as pack leader, try the first method. :shrug:

Regardless of whether it solves the diggin or not, she needs exercise every day. Imagine not getting of your house for 1 week? It would send you mental too.

i think in the OP she said that she has been sick. as someone with a current chest infection, my dog hasn't been walked this week and he just has to cope. if he were a working breed perhaps i would hire a dog walker or a get a friend to walk him, but for one week he can deal with it. (though he is perhaps getting some extra cuddles and couch time as a trade-off!)

she did also say that when she isn't unwell the dog gets a good hour and mental exercise as well everyday. and that the behaviour continues regardless.

and the person who said fake grass can get dug up-i went away for a couple of weeks and left my mini schnauzer boy with my parents and although he had a good time he fretted a bit (they think it was boredom, but he is happy to curl up at home and did so there too?) but he destroyed a 1metre x 3 mtre patch of their mod-grass tennis court! opened the sliding door in the night and slipped out and did his dirty work in the dead of night, unfortunately falling asleep at the scene of the crime is not a good idea! so, yes, they can definitely kill fake turf!

to indigirl, i'm sorry your dog can cause you hassle and that it is so frustrating. sometimes we just have to sigh and take a deep breath. others have been through what you're going through, on here and out in the world...

When you find the dog digging, run towards her making loud noises. Push her to the ground and roll her around manhandling her. This is what the pack leader would do if she disobeyed.

How about the OP give the dog some exercise and mental stimulation before physically chastising the dog or using an electric collar?

Your approach assumes the dog is at fault Oakway. I think other less extreme responses should be tried. This is not a "leadership issue".

Dogs dig because they find it pleasureable - not to give you the finger.

i think in the OP she said that she has been sick. as someone with a current chest infection, my dog hasn't been walked this week and he just has to cope. if he were a working breed perhaps i would hire a dog walker or a get a friend to walk him, but for one week he can deal with it. (though he is perhaps getting some extra cuddles and couch time as a trade-off!)

When digging is the "coping strategy" then what? The OP could put the dog in the car, take it down to Norman Duck oval and let it have a run. Hell, even a drive is stimulating.

Gundogs ARE a working breed. They were bred to work all day in the field. Coop one up and sometimes you get results you don't want. :o

Edited by poodlefan

I've done this - walked back inside she did it again. She will stop if you rouse on her until you walk away

If that fails think up things that are displeasing so that when she digs she will blame herself for it.

It's also very easy with electric collars. Put one on her and let go out side and when start to dig zap her.

If you are not standing close to her and do this every time she starts to dig she will soon blame herself.

Make the dog blame herself for digging. She will soon learn that digging brings bad results for her and she will think she causes it and should stop. :o

Just make sure you are well away from the dog when she gets zapped in this case you want the dog to blame herself.

If you want the dog to blame you and see you as pack leader, try the first method. :eek:

E-collars are illegal in NSW - what else would work do you think? I'm serious by the way as it does my head in. We had to use a trailer-load of top-soil to fill the holes in the garden in our previous house so that the tenants wouldn't be in danger. I've lived with many, many dogs over the years, particularly so with the rescue, and I just can't get this one to stop digging

E-collars are illegal in NSW - what else would work do you think? I'm serious by the way as it does my head in. We had to use a trailer-load of top-soil to fill the holes in the garden in our previous house so that the tenants wouldn't be in danger. I've lived with many, many dogs over the years, particularly so with the rescue, and I just can't get this one to stop digging

Are Fauves bred to go to ground Trish?

and. I don't mean to be a smart arse, but one of the best ways to clear a chest infection is to go for a walk.

I'm not having a go at the OP. Sometimes life happens and we can't walk the dog - but we can't blame it then when it creates it's own fun.

No, not that I can find though Lordy you would think so!! They are bred to hunt small game in packs - rabbits, roe deer etc. They are not a breed traditionally used for truffle hunting which, as a French scent hound, you would think they would have been used for if it was a breed typical trait. Daphne doesn't dig like Marie does - don't get me wrong, she will dig at times, but not like Marie does. The only solution we have is that she is not in the yard or near the gardens unsupervised and never will be - even on lead she will dig if I'm not watching her.

and. I don't mean to be a smart arse, but one of the best ways to clear a chest infection is to go for a walk.

I'm not having a go at the OP. Sometimes life happens and we can't walk the dog - but we can't blame it then when it creates it's own fun.

OT

This is true. I have Laryngitis which I have had for about 5 weeks now and my voice still isn't right! I still have quite a nasty chest infection and the worst couple of days I've had throughout these 5 weeks is when I gave in and cuddled up on the couch feeling sorry for myself!

Proven if you exercise you will fight off ill health faster!

No, not that I can find though Lordy you would think so!! They are bred to hunt small game in packs - rabbits, roe deer etc. They are not a breed traditionally used for truffle hunting which, as a French scent hound, you would think they would have been used for if it was a breed typical trait. Daphne doesn't dig like Marie does - don't get me wrong, she will dig at times, but not like Marie does. The only solution we have is that she is not in the yard or near the gardens unsupervised and never will be - even on lead she will dig if I'm not watching her.

I wonder if they get a seratonin high from doing it..

There are concrete pavers you can get that are an open grid, you lay them, rake topsoil over, then plant out with lawn. They are designed for areas where you would like to park a car but still have a lawn, and would certainly prevent destructive digging.

My girl has grown out of digging now, but when I would catch her I would encourage her to dig in the compost heap instead. She did have a sand-pit, but I liked the compost being turned. She caught on quickly and left the lawn alone. It was very messy though.

I would encourage her to dig in the compost heap instead. She did have a sand-pit, but I liked the compost being turned. She caught on quickly and left the lawn alone. It was very messy though.

A dog would LOVE digging in compost I would imagine - smelly and dirty and blergh! :o

I wonder if they get a seratonin high from doing it..

She definitely is getting a reward of some kind from it. It has been quite frustrating because if you talk to someone the first thing they say is that its boredom but I figure 3 walks a day kind of kills that idea. :o

I would encourage her to dig in the compost heap instead. She did have a sand-pit, but I liked the compost being turned. She caught on quickly and left the lawn alone. It was very messy though.

A dog would LOVE digging in compost I would imagine - smelly and dirty and blergh! :o

Sorry, this is something I disagree with. Many dogs that we see at the clinic are there because they dug in the compost and picked up a nasty bacteria or possible fungus infection, or injested something like a corn cob or other obstruction.

fifi

Edited by fifi