Labbies And Goldies

Alfie02

Hi all :) ,

Just a quick question out of curiosity about Golden retrievers and Labradors. I know that they are both great family pets, require quite a bit of regular daily exercise and like all dogs need to spend time with their families. So other than the obvious physical differences, what else is different about these dogs in terms of personality and energy levels?

Thanks in advance :laugh:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Goldies are a bit more independent than Labs.

Most labs will happily superglue themselves to you if you let them.

Labs are food hogs, no such thing as coming back for the rest later. They tend to put on weight easily if you are careless with food / exercise. They love water. They will be in and out of a clamshell pool winter and summer. (though they don't necessarily like to be hosed)

While Labs are great with kids in terms of temperament, they are big excitable dogs with waggy tails that can and do accidently knock small kids over. They don't even realise they've done it.

My labs are generally not too full on with exercise requirements. They more seem to like walks for the scenery / smells, rather than burning off energy. I do have 4 though, so they spend a lot of time playing with each other as well. My male would rather spend an hour sniffing new stuff than walking.

Labs can be quite destructive (digging, chewing) if not disciplined early, but as they are so food motivated, in a lot of cases training / suitable entertainment can minimise this.

From my experience, my girls have matured mentally from about 14 - 16 months, males 18 - 24 months.

And males are much more affectionate than females.

Thats all I've got for now. :laugh:

Hi all :) ,

Just a quick question out of curiosity about Golden retrievers and Labradors. I know that they are both great family pets, require quite a bit of regular daily exercise and like all dogs need to spend time with their families. So other than the obvious physical differences, what else is different about these dogs in terms of personality and energy levels?

Thanks in advance :laugh:

That's a good question I am interested in knowing the answer as they seem similar personality wise???

I have a golden retriever and she is active although she is also a couch potato at times. I have had her 3 years and don't experience any destruction at all (she is nearly 5). I have always been told that Labs were more destructive, but I don't think a decision about a breed should be based on destruction level. It should be made on the basis of temperament, what purpose you want (pet or exhibiting in obedience etc..), and your lifestyle.

My golden is a clingy dog, she thrives on attention. However in saying that she keeps herself entertained with her toys if i am out and mostly sleeps when i am gone. I can trust her to leave her outside for several hours and never come home to any destruction. The most i have come home to is a dead magpie and a dead Pigeon/dove thing.

They are very easily trained and eager to please.

I have a golden retriever and she is active although she is also a couch potato at times. I have had her 3 years and don't experience any destruction at all (she is nearly 5). I have always been told that Labs were more destructive, but I don't think a decision about a breed should be based on destruction level. It should be made on the basis of temperament, what purpose you want (pet or exhibiting in obedience etc..), and your lifestyle.

My golden is a clingy dog, she thrives on attention. However in saying that she keeps herself entertained with her toys if i am out and mostly sleeps when i am gone. I can trust her to leave her outside for several hours and never come home to any destruction. The most i have come home to is a dead magpie and a dead Pigeon/dove thing.

They are very easily trained and eager to please.

Describes my boy pretty well too --- but he's a lab. Never any dead birds when we get home, he's nearly 18 months.

Biggest difference in personality I have noticed is that a majority of the Goldies I have met tend to be much softer than Labs.

Labradors tend to be much quicker to bounce back, rather than Golden Retrievers who I have found to be softer in temperament and attitude.

I think of Labs as being very resilient. As opposed to Goldies who will take things much harder and react more.

I know they exist but I have yet to meet an aggressive Labrador, stupid, boofy, out of control, over excited Labs though, I've met too many! :laugh:

I have however met a few aggressive Goldens. Seems to me that a Labrador will bounce back from bad experiences much quicker than a Goldie.

Just my opinion though.

I think Goldies are a bit more independent than Labs.

Most labs will happily superglue themselves to you if you let them.

Labs are food hogs, no such thing as coming back for the rest later. They tend to put on weight easily if you are careless with food / exercise. They love water. They will be in and out of a clamshell pool winter and summer. (though they don't necessarily like to be hosed)

While Labs are great with kids in terms of temperament, they are big excitable dogs with waggy tails that can and do accidently knock small kids over. They don't even realise they've done it.

My labs are generally not too full on with exercise requirements. They more seem to like walks for the scenery / smells, rather than burning off energy. I do have 4 though, so they spend a lot of time playing with each other as well. My male would rather spend an hour sniffing new stuff than walking.

Labs can be quite destructive (digging, chewing) if not disciplined early, but as they are so food motivated, in a lot of cases training / suitable entertainment can minimise this.

From my experience, my girls have matured mentally from about 14 - 16 months, males 18 - 24 months.

And males are much more affectionate than females.

Thats all I've got for now. :laugh:

This also sounds very similar to a Golden Retriever. Though I would have said a Lab is a bit more independent!

Anyone who owns a GR, are you able to indicate if any of the above is true in your breed too, or not? :)

I think a GR is a bit more of a sensitive dog than a Lab (I don't mean that in a bad way). Very "sunshine and rainbows" kind of personality while Labs are "go go go!!"

actually she never used to get birds! I have cockatiels and rabbits as well and she wouldnt touch them, it's those birds and ducks that she doesnt like. If I take her swimming she swims with the ducks but is never fast enough to actually get one. She had a Cruciate Ligament repair op 3 months ago and I have never seen her this active since she was about 2 or 3yrs old!

I think every dog is different, i have seen really good labradors who have an excellent temperament, not destructive and well trained. I think alot of dogs there really is no real difference in their temperaments and natures other than their breed.

Labs tend to body slam more than Goldies do :laugh:

And yep, Got Nuthin', everything you said just described a Goldie and probably a few other breeds too :eek:

Knees? We don't need our knees :laugh:

:)

Riddick is currently learning, that "BRAKES!" Means you should actually stop before you get to me when recalled, rather than bouncing at the last minute to rebound of my legs as a way of stopping

Labs tend to body slam more than Goldies do :)

And yep, Got Nuthin', everything you said just described a Goldie and probably a few other breeds too :D

Knees? We don't need our knees :D

:laugh:

Riddick is currently learning, that "BRAKES!" Means you should actually stop before you get to me when recalled, rather than bouncing at the last minute to rebound of my legs as a way of stopping

I wish my parents rotty knew what brakes are!! She's the biggest boofhead, and unfortunately right at my knee height which = instead collapsing of legs when she knocks into me :laugh:

Biggest difference in personality I have noticed is that a majority of the Goldies I have met tend to be much softer than Labs.

Labradors tend to be much quicker to bounce back, rather than Golden Retrievers who I have found to be softer in temperament and attitude.

I think of Labs as being very resilient. As opposed to Goldies who will take things much harder and react more.

I know they exist but I have yet to meet an aggressive Labrador, stupid, boofy, out of control, over excited Labs though, I've met too many! :)

I have however met a few aggressive Goldens. Seems to me that a Labrador will bounce back from bad experiences much quicker than a Goldie.

Just my opinion though.

I do think that's the biggest difference. I have been very close to both goldies and labs and they are very similar in most other traits. To me goldies seem a bit more vulnerable and sensitive.

Thanks so much for the great replies everyone :laugh:

Its good to know from owners and people close to each of the different breeds all the special traits each one has. I totally agree from the goldies and labbies I have met that the goldies seem to be a little softer and gentle, while labbies are a little more full on, in general of course.

I love both breeds anyway, they make awesome family pets and best friends :)

In my experience most of the labs that I have met are like “HI!!!! HALLO!!!! SO NICE TO SEE YOU!!! WANNA PLAY??? WANNA?? COME ON!!!! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!!!!!”

The goldens are more “Helloooooooooo! Where have you been all my life? You are nice! I like you! Can we cuddle? Isn’t life wonderful? Ahhhhhhhh”

That said, I have met a few bouncier goldens (own one myself --- the dreadful Bitty) and a few smoochy black bear labs too! Gorgeous dogs though! Probably can’t go wrong with either! :)

Goldies

Number 1 Job description - to love you

Number 2 Job Description - to eat

Number 3 Difference - Goldies are sensible by the time they are two

Labs

Number 1 Job Description - to eat

Number 2 Job Description - to love you

Number 3 Difference - Labs have a youthful exuberance that lasts till middle age

Goldies are definitely quieter and more sensitive, and are very eager to please their owner.

Agree with what has already been said: labs are more full on and resilient. Goldies tend to be way more sensitive.

Without proper discipline and training both breeds can be a nightmare.

Goldens can be resource guarders (more so than labs), I've heard this from a number of reputable sources including a behaviourist, a guide dog trainer and quite a few goldie owners.

I wouldn't say there is a major difference between the two breeds in terms of temperament and personality, both breeds can make the most wonderful pets and generally have a happy, friendly disposition towards humans and other animals.

Goldens can be resource guarders (more so than labs), I've heard this from a number of reputable sources including a behaviourist, a guide dog trainer and quite a few goldie owners.

Have to disagree with this as I would say Goldens were amongst the least resource guarding breeds I know.

Most of the goldens I know happily share bones, food and toys with each other.

I think a big thing is lines as well. But I have to say my best friend has owned labs and goldies. The Goldies were pure show lines, really intelligent, cuddly, easy to train and well behaved. The Lab is mostly show with a bit of field he is 10 and still acts like a pup, exhuberant, was very destructive as a younger dog, clever (as in quick to learn) but not intelligent (as in falls in ditches :) ). Both the labs and Goldies have been great with children (friend is second oldest of 6) and great personalities.