Is It Possible To Get A Dog As Smart As...

Guest Kate_Summer

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kate_Summer

Forgot to say - that doesn't need a ton of exercises! lol :hug:

I would love a Great Dane but, I'm not sure how challenging it would be to train?

ETA I don't know about exercises requirement of Great Danes either

Edited by Kate_Summer

Forgot to say - that doesn't need a ton of exercises! lol :o

I would love a Great Dane but, I'm not sure how challenging it would be to train?

Great danes are very easy to train... In the Dane thread we have monthly comps where we compete... You just have to be prepared for the slobber when using treats :)

My girl can do all the usual obedience comands plus walk backwards on command, shut cupboard doors, crawl on her tummy,touch/ target objects and lots more

Stormies dane Orbit is EXTREMLY smart...and not to mention Dante (sas dane)

Dont let there dopey face fool you, they can be smart when they want to be...

There is ALOT more to owning a dane then training though.. A very deep pocket breed :( but lots more to love :hug:

Guest Kate_Summer
what do you want to do with the dog and what size do you want it to be roughly? Oh and single or doubel coat? Even shorter hair dogs with double coats will moult like no tomorrow :hug:

Get a poodle :o

Dog that can be around kids of any age - I totally dislike small breed, between medium size to giant size, rather small hair every where than woolly longish hair :)

Would be kept as a pet, so desexed etc.

what do you want to do with the dog and what size do you want it to be roughly? Oh and single or doubel coat? Even shorter hair dogs with double coats will moult like no tomorrow :hug:

Get a poodle :(

Dog that can be around kids of any age - I totally dislike small breed, between medium size to giant size, rather small hair every where than woolly longish hair :o

Would be kept as a pet, so desexed etc.

If you want a X LARGE breed, pop into the Dane thread where you will get LOTS of advise on training, diet exercise and the rest of it..

You get exceptions to all breeds but My dane is SOO gentle around little kids, there are 2 boys that live across the road (6 & 8) and bella is amazing 2 them, she keeps out of their faces and has an amazing rear end awareness.. Obviuosly all done under constant supervision..

Bell met a 3 year old on saturday, and after 1 sniff, got over the excitement and sat down next to him waiting for her cuddle :)

Guest Kate_Summer

I should mentioned that the kids aren't dog people, it would be mine, not their, so I would be the one doing everything with the dog. I'm not looking into getting one yet, 1 dog at the time is enough. So I'm just researching for in a few years down the track.

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a great kids dog it's in their breed standard to have a natural affinity with kids and they're nicknamed the nanny dog :hug: plus they're super smart, a handy size and have a short single coat.

Forgot to say - that doesn't need a ton of exercises! lol :laugh:

Depends if you like a challenge. They aren't as smart as a working dog but they can still work but they're an independent breed so you have to come at them from a different perspective.

I like them because they are a challenge.

Danes require very little exercise as youngans and then about 30 minutes a day as an adult unless you want to up it over time.

Edited by sas

Guest Kate_Summer
Forgot to say - that doesn't need a ton of exercises! lol :laugh:

Depends if you like a challenge. They aren't as smart as a working dog but they can still work but they're an independent breed so you have to come at them from a different perspective.

I like them because they are a challenge.

Danes require very little exercise as youngans and then about 30 minutes a day as an adult unless you want to up it over time.

I like the challenge, but not overly stubborn, so long I can work with them I'm happy :laugh:

Sounds like a great breed, working dogs are great although probably a little to much to handle exercise wise :rofl:

a coolie :laugh: smart dog, comes in short or long coat and adapts to your living style

That's what I was going to say! :laugh: If you don't need ANKC registration - Koolies are lovely.

Edited by Alyosha

Some Aussie lines, and particularly bitches, don't have very long coats. If you like the Aussie look and temperamant, I'd be inclined to look seriosuly at a female. My girl doesn't have a lot of coat and I can go weeks without brushing her, then when I do she has no tangles or mats.

The boys tend to be the ones with the full mane, the fluffy pants etc.