Yes Another Post About Barf!

Hi Everyone

I have a GSD and I've decided to put him on the BARF diet. Only problem is, he doesn't like it!

Any tips of how to make him more interested... ?

Mine is made of

Chicken mince

Heart

Apples

Carrot

Cauli

Broccoli

Garlic

I have tried putting egg, yogurt, cheese and he still doesn't like it. He will have a little nibble then he wont eat the rest and it has taken him since Saturday to eat 1kg of food and I don't won't to starve him! :) But he has always been very fussy and not a big eater!! :hug:

Any advice would be much appreciated.

i have 2 belgian shepherds i tried this food each falvour and had to give it away my dogs would not eat it lol ,

these are the things i tried to do , i sue grated cheese though it , liver bits though it , chunck of chciken breast , maybe give that a go good luck.

Maybe introduce it more gradually. If you have what you listed all combined and minced up, add a spoonful to whatever he used to eat then slowly reduce old food with new food one spoonful at a time.

Good luck

Mine don't like BARF either. They won't eat that much vegetable matter and they don't really like minced/sloppy foods. So they get a lot of meaty bones, meat, a variety of offal, and only vegies once or twice a week.

my two even after all this time still have a tuff time eating dr b's prepared barf [supplemented with chunks of chicken/turkey neck and some mashed up veg] and it's only been in the past week YUP, as recently as that, that i decided to crushed up a small amount of their treats and sprinkle it over the top --- BINGO :D

bella didn't have such a difficult time but byron was a shocker! getting him to the bowl to eat was no mean feat but as soon as he got a wiff of his yummy treats, TADAAAAAA

just a thought :mad

good luck :)

<So they get a lot of meaty bones, meat, a variety of offal, and only vegies once or twice a week. >

That is BARF Diva :mad

bones and raw foods

Nope. BARF has become a particular approach to raw feeding. The BARF recipes have a lot more vegetables and fruit than I ever feed.

And a lot more minced up mush too. BARF's the term coined by DrB. But it's not the only way to feed raw.

Edited by Diva

Thanks for the replies everyone..

I have tried putting 70 / 30 of kibble and mince and he still won’t eat it!! :mad

He only likes some bones. I tried to give him a beef neck before and he wouldn’t even look at it! But saying that he loves chicken necks and bacon soup bones (I hope they are ok to feed dogs because he likes them)

He normally likes chicken mince and the vegies (seperate) so I’m thinking that maybe he doesn’t like heart?

When should I pull the bin on Barf?

He only likes some bones. I tried to give him a beef neck before and he wouldn’t even look at it! But saying that he loves chicken necks and bacon soup bones (I hope they are ok to feed dogs because he likes them)

Bacon bones are a definite no-no, bacon is a cured meat, originally cured with salt but now who-knows-what. Definitely not a good bone for a dog. He'll like it because it is salty and dogs lurve salty things.

Sorry, I've not been following this closely but if your dog is not very young or very old and is otherwise healthy, give him the food you have decided is dinner and leave him to it for ten minutes, if he doesn't eat take it away and feed him NOTHING until the next meal time, then give him the same type of food again (could be the exact same food, but maybe not if it's a bit dodgy). A healthy dog will not starve itself for long.

He normally likes chicken mince and the vegies (seperate) so I’m thinking that maybe he doesn’t like heart?

Some dogs can be funny about offal - although heart is a muscle meat and not true offal. Try without the veg and heart until he is comfortable eating it and them slowly introduce some offal (liver, kidneys). If he's still fussy then just flash fry the offal in a pan first to encourage him and just mix a small amount in with his mince.

Lamb is usually eaten readily too - try some meaty lamb ribs or lamb flaps from a butcher. Chicken necks, wings and frames are all good too ;)

As far as veg goes mine get the odd bit if I'm preparing some for our dinner, and every now and them I'll blitz up some veg and fruit in a blender, freeze it in ice cubes and give them one defrosted in their food a few times a week.

Mine have eaten raw for ages but when moving here I tried them on the BARF patties and they wouldn't touch them :rofl: