Why Do People Breed Designer Dogs Just Because They Sell?

heroeswit

I was talking to a friend last week about puppies and how I'm buying mine from a registered breeder and she told me about the dogs she has had and where she got them from. then she told me she was good friends with a woman that only bred crosses because that was what would sell, she said that the woman had started out selling purebreds (I still think she was aBYB) but noone would buy them so she changed to crosses but she only sold them for $200 compared to $800 for the purebreds. I couldn't believe that this friend was supporting this woman and backing her breeding program that was having lots of defects in the offspring :D But when I told her I would never buy a cross breed again and pay the extra dollars she got up ME saying that they are only dogs and any cross is better then a purebred because they don't have the defects that a pure has. Well I tried to tell her that it wasn't the case but she wouldn't listen so I just left her to it and went home all revved up.

Then today I went into work (i'm on holidays :mad ) and on of my colleagues asked me if I had purchased my puppy from an ad in the paper for white GSDs when I said no she said "oh well i'm looking at the papillion X jack russel thats in there, I know the jack russels are small but I have never heard of a papillion. Guess what they call it a pappyjack" I just said they are a designer dog and walked off I can't take peoples idiocy about dogs and crosses.

I use to be like these people but I had never seen any purebreds and only ever thought you could get crossbreeds. Now I would Never buy a cross again unless I got it from a Rescue.

Rant Over

My rant-

People are ignorant.

People blindly follow trends.

People beleive whatever they are told.

People dont give a shit about anything/one but themselves

People don't think ahead or of the future only of the now.

Thats why the whole world is a mess let alone the dog world.

:mad

If I could I would take off to the bush with my OH and my dogs and never come out.

If I never had to see another human for the rest of my entire life I would die happy.

To paraphrase Henry Mencken

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the Australian public."

People breed them to fill a demand. There's been plenty of information encouraging puppy buyers to think that DDs combine only the best of two breeds, will not shed but have low maintenance coats, are born obedient and don't need exercise or grooming. That has created a demand that's regularly fuelled by folk with an axe to grind against purebred dog organisations (hi Don :mad) or with a profit margin to maintain.

Sadly for the dogs, little of what is published about the benefits of DDs is true. :D

Edited by poodlefan

you answered your own question. They do it because it makes money. Back in the day I think alot of dogs were crossed to try and blend the best of both for a purpose (hunting, guarding etc), these days it is about what two breeds make a cute sounding name when blended together. I mean what purpose/benefits could possibly come form crossing a JRT and a Pug or a Pug X Cavalier??? Some of the so call designer dogs are hideous looking things that might hav a certain visual appeal while they are still babies but often grow up into ugly looking adults. Poor things, I wonder how many of the get left in the back yard, ignored for the rest of their lives because they are not cute anymore? :mad

And sadly some are just "pretty darn cute and 'appear to be' more ecconomical to the layman. Also once apon a time most people had some kind of cross breed due to people being lax about desexing and most neighbourhoods were filled with these dogs as the much loved family pet. They didn't come with the hype or the big price tag they come with today... just given to good homes because the bitch got accidently (and on purposely) mated with the poodle round the corner. It didn't help that the Media jumped on the bandwagon and made these wonderful claims about these dogs on popular Lifestyle Shows like "Bourkes Backyard" either!

Edited by LizT

I was talking to a friend last week about puppies and how I'm buying mine from a registered breeder and she told me about the dogs she has had and where she got them from. then she told me she was good friends with a woman that only bred crosses because that was what would sell, she said that the woman had started out selling purebreds (I still think she was aBYB) but noone would buy them so she changed to crosses but she only sold them for $200 compared to $800 for the purebreds. I couldn't believe that this friend was supporting this woman and backing her breeding program that was having lots of defects in the offspring :rofl: But when I told her I would never buy a cross breed again and pay the extra dollars she got up ME saying that they are only dogs and any cross is better then a purebred because they don't have the defects that a pure has. Well I tried to tell her that it wasn't the case but she wouldn't listen so I just left her to it and went home all revved up.

Then today I went into work (i'm on holidays :thumbsup: ) and on of my colleagues asked me if I had purchased my puppy from an ad in the paper for white GSDs when I said no she said "oh well i'm looking at the papillion X jack russel thats in there, I know the jack russels are small but I have never heard of a papillion. Guess what they call it a pappyjack" I just said they are a designer dog and walked off I can't take peoples idiocy about dogs and crosses.

I use to be like these people but I had never seen any purebreds and only ever thought you could get crossbreeds. Now I would Never buy a cross again unless I got it from a Rescue.

Rant Over

Because no-one in their right mind is going to pay $800+ for a BYB "purebred" dog when they can pay the same amount and get a papered dog, with health tested parents from a registered breeder for the same price :laugh:

Presuming she was a BYB and that people looking for a purebreed often go through breed clubs, word of mouth or visit shows than she would have had to do all her own advertising to sell the pups. Not always easy and not cheap either when the pups don't sell.

Cross breeds cater to a different market. People looking for a DD aren't going to go through a breed club or the ANKC, they are going to look in the paper, on the internet, in pet shops...

They aren't going to ask informed questions such as -have the parents been health tested and what are the results, or are the puppies registered. They are going to be given the answers they want to hear instead like "Of COURSE these dogs wont shed" and "Yes, they are so much HEALTHIER than purebreeds" or "Yes, they are healthy, never had a problem" or "No, you don't have to groom or train them - they are the PERFECT mix of both breeds"

So, for that type of "breeder" selling the *perfect* cross breed for the bargain price of only $200 through the paper? Of course it's going to be easier :rofl:

Edited by SecretKei

What I dont get, and what $h!t$ me to tears, is the huge demand for these dogs, and yet rescue organisations seem to full of unwanted dogs :laugh::rofl:

It really is time to enforce a licence to own a dog. It is just too easy to buy a cute puppy, not train it, leave it ignored on the back yard, then dispose of it when it becomes tooooooo much of an inconvenience for the poor owner because it barks, bites, toilets in unwanted places, digs up the garden :thumbsup:

Heres a suggestion - dont buy the damn dog in the first place, buy another video game instead...

Thats my rant for the day :rofl:

Dont forget impulse buying. Its there, its cute and I can take it home as a suprise to my OH

OR

Yes we are breeding soon, so we can have a puppy all going well in about 4 months for you.

Ummmmm, I cant wait that long. I might change my mind and want a cat. better get that one in the pet shop

It definitely is all about the money, as you all have said.

I was talking to a person at work today about puppies, and she said that her daughter had wanted to breed from their JRT. She mentioned this to her local vet who advised her against it because so many JRT need to have caesarians, and instead advised her to find another bigger dog that they could crossbreed with and charge $800 for a pup! The vet said that's where the money is! :confused:

Not to mention last week when I was at the hairdresser, she was talking about how her husband wants a "Jug". When I gave her a confused look, she said "Oh that's a Jack Russell x Pug". I said "Why doesn't he just get a Jack Russell?" :(

Because no-one in their right mind is going to pay $800+ for a BYB "purebred" dog when they can pay the same amount and get a papered dog, with health tested parents from a registered breeder for the same price shrug.gif

Do you want to make a bet :(

I know plenty of people who dont even know registered breeders exist. They were raised like me - you bought a dog from the paper or one of the many oops litters that were born around the suburb.

I have 2 friends who recently paid $1200 for Pet Shop Chocolate Labs - both have had hip surgery before they were 1 year old. They were really surprised when I explained hip scoring and registered breeders to them.

Have a look in the paper/gumtree plenty of "purebreeds" around the $800 plus mark.