Police Dog Bites Boy, 8, During Search Of House

zoepuppy

I cant believe how many idiots are commenting on that story that the dog is "dangerous" and therefore should be put down.

It's a POLICE DOG!!!! Of course it's dangerous FFS. Which is completely different to a domestic dog who savages people indiscriminately. The dog didn't savage the kid - he just grabbed his leg and held him - exactly as he's been trained to do. No loss of control or aggression here.

If they put that dog down they might as well destroy all police dogs. All of them would have done the same thing.

If that's the case the dog was doing EXACTLY what it has been trained to do! If anything the Officers in Charge should receive a repremand for not follow procedures correctly by the sounds of things. Someone should have been controlling the entrance to the house.

I agree, definitely a procedure issue there I would think. A couple of police officers I know told me that when the K9 unit has been called to a job, there is a procedure to alert the other officers attending that a dog has been deployed off leash, as the police dog can apprehend another officer if they get in it's way which is understandable???.

Fiona :)

Edited by malsrock

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a POLICE DOG!!!! Of course it's dangerous FFS. Which is completely different to a domestic dog who savages people indiscriminately. The dog didn't savage the kid - he just grabbed his leg and held him - exactly as he's been trained to do. No loss of control or aggression here.

If they put that dog down they might as well destroy all police dogs. All of them would have done the same thing.

Exactly. Often times we hear of perps that a police dog has grabbed, having a bite mark that gets treatment. A child's skin is not as tough so the same pressure would have caused a bigger wound.

Accountability about the child, should go the humans involved. People in the house should have been kept well away from the search, by police officers. And the parents should have kept their child close to them as the search was going on.

We don't know what the true circumstances were. Probably the little bugger deserved it.

Nothing should happen to the dog......he did his job !

That is the most ridiculous comment. I really hope you don't mean this.

I cant believe how many idiots are commenting on that story that the dog is "dangerous" and therefore should be put down.

agreed...

Think about how many lives this dog and many others have saved detecting drugs previously. Without them the police have no hope of finding concealed drugs in a lot of cases.

As for who to blame there was a lot of factors brought together to create the result the only ones totally not at fault are the boy and the dog, why should it suffer for the lapse of concentration by the police and the greed of drug dealers?it was put in this situation and reacted how it was trained.The boy was rushing in,its reaction in a different case may have saved a life.

As for who to blame there was a lot of factors brought together to create the result the only ones totally not at fault are the boy and the dog, why should it suffer for the lapse of concentration by the police and the greed of drug dealers?it was put in this situation and reacted how it was trained.The boy was rushing in,its reaction in a different case may have saved a life.

Agreed.

It is totally unreasonable to blame either the boy or the dog. And the fact that his father may have been involved in drugs does not decrease the value of this boy's wellbeing. The police is clearly to blame here and they should at least have to pay the medical bills!! How can they let a dog trained to attack go offleash and not ensure that an innocent person (a kid in this case) does not enter the area.

It is totally unreasonable to blame either the boy or the dog. And the fact that his father may have been involved in drugs does not decrease the value of this boy's wellbeing. The police is clearly to blame here and they should at least have to pay the medical bills!! How can they let a dog trained to attack go offleash and not ensure that an innocent person (a kid in this case) does not enter the area.

I agree with this. And I have very close family ties with the police. Still, I can't believe they let a child enter the house at all- how traumatic, to witness something like a raid on your home, parents possibly being arrested, etc... much less, running in with a police dog loose...!I doubt that the dog will be removed from duty,though, much less PTS. As others have commented, he held the boy, helping to defend his handler from what he most likely perceived as a threat. No doubt, the child would have at least called out to his parents, even if he didn't scream, and was most likely panicked. Even his tone of voice could have sounded like a threat to a police dog. And when they are off-lead, they are on-duty...

Maybe they'll just say they put the dog down, and give the dog another name.

oh Rocky, your name is now Brocky; :laugh:

Parkeyre are you suggesting the police would do something not above board!!! :rofl:

Not saying that they would do it; but i sure do hope they consider this rather then putting down the police dog who did his job.

Hope somebody in the force can explain to Darren about how the dogs work and why this accident happened.

He is not likely to learn anything very constructive out of those around him; the dog was doing its job and it siezed and held him, it is unfortunate that his legs are a bit small.

Souff

oh Rocky, your name is now Brocky; :)

Parkeyre are you suggesting the police would do something not above board!!! :laugh:

Not saying that they would do it; but i sure do hope they consider this rather then putting down the police dog who did his job.

Well at least the dog has "the law on it's side"! He may well have to take a forced retirement though. :)

oh Rocky, your name is now Brocky; :)

Parkeyre are you suggesting the police would do something not above board!!! :dancingelephant:

Well at least the dog has "the law on it's side"! He may well have to take a forced retirement though. :rofl:

no he wont. they will keep going on as normal - the dog did what he was trained to do.

This is written into the Victorian dog law, so probably there is something like this in the state where this incident took place.

Exemptions for dogs used by government

authorities

(1) In the case of a dog working with a person who is

carrying out duties for a Department or Agency of

the State or Commonwealth, that person is not

liable for an offence under this Act in respect of

that dog, where, in acting in the manner which

would constitute the offence, the dog was working

with that person.

I love it how the father is all, oh the police should have been guarding the entrance to our house or whatever, implying that he was unable or unwilling to control his child verbally. So he sends his son elsewhere whilst the police raid his house, and then brings him back during the raid and allows the child to run into the house alone (while dad is back in the car) whilst it's obvious (because there were so many police vehicles etc) that the police are still in there? And now they want to blame the dog. I don't know, doesn't really make sense to me. Dog seems well trained to me, one that wasn't just attempting to do its job and actually was aggressive would have done more than one bite on the leg... It's true that a dog shouldn't really attack children, but a child running towards a police dog when it's working, seems like quite a different sort of situation to me.

I love it how the father is all, oh the police should have been guarding the entrance to our house or whatever, implying that he was unable or unwilling to control his child verbally. So he sends his son elsewhere whilst the police raid his house, and then brings him back during the raid and allows the child to run into the house alone (while dad is back in the car) whilst it's obvious (because there were so many police vehicles etc) that the police are still in there? And now they want to blame the dog.

It's not just the kid though - anyone could have walked into that house off the street and gotten bitten by the dog. So I think it's fair to say the police should have posted guards at the door to stop this happening.

I love it how the father is all, oh the police should have been guarding the entrance to our house or whatever, implying that he was unable or unwilling to control his child verbally. So he sends his son elsewhere whilst the police raid his house, and then brings him back during the raid and allows the child to run into the house alone (while dad is back in the car) whilst it's obvious (because there were so many police vehicles etc) that the police are still in there? And now they want to blame the dog.

It's not just the kid though - anyone could have walked into that house off the street and gotten bitten by the dog. So I think it's fair to say the police should have posted guards at the door to stop this happening.

The dog was doing what it is trained today - not the dogs FAULT - the drug occupants of the house are to blame and I hope to god that this dog is not put down for something it was trained to do. Heaven help us if it is.