Buying A Puppy From A Pet Shop

LizT

Well it's really hit me this time.

I was sitting at the Shelter with one of my Cavs waiting for my daughter to come out of school when another parent approached me and asked if that was a CKCS. Why Yes it is.

We have been thinking about getting one, they are a lovely dog etc. etc.

Spoke about breed for a bit, mentioned I had a litter due, then she asked about price range. And stated, oh, yes that's about what I've seen them sell for at the Pet Shops.

My reply was of course, please don't buy a puppy from a Pet Shop.

Why? Was the genuine and sincere reply.

I went on 'briefly' to try to explain about the lack of health testing, unknown parentage, possible Puppy Mill Suppliers etc. etc.

She was really shocked and surprised. Oh yes I've heard about Puppy Mills, do they supply Pet Shops? I thought they just sold direct to the Public. No, many wouldn't because they don't want people seeing their facilities or dogs, I explained.

She said she would talk to me further and if I had a puppy available that would be great or if I could help her to find a Reputable Breeder that would also be terrific.

One more person educated......but there are so many more out there who are smart educated people that just don't realise.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good on you :)

There are a lot of people out there who doesn't know about Puppy Farms and don't understand why it's not a good idea to buy a pup from the pet shops.

From what I've experience.. it comes with the culture on how they were bought around dogs. Either they have never had a dog before or growing up, their dogs were from friends selling or giving dogs away.. they don't understand puppies or dogs. They don't know about training or anything either.

Example, my boyfriend and his friends. All of them have no idea about dogs or pets. They have no idea how to look after them, they didn't understand why I take my 2 to training etc and put so much time into them. They go get a dog because they want a Charlie, and now realise why I put so much time and effort into him.

My boyfriend directs his friends all to me if they are thinking about getting a puppy. I explain to them about it, and then I will help them find breeders for them. When I tell them about puppy farms, the pound and all that.. they get so horrified. They all love Charlie but when I tell them about his health issues and I don't know much about his parents... they really make them think. Currently I'm helping a friend into researching a CKCS and we will be going to shows to meet some breeders :)

Edited by CW EW

Well done Liz :)

I frightened the hell out of my friend/hairdresser recently. She was talking about how she hadn't got around to getting her 5 month old kitten desexed, that she really should, but that she could already be pregnant. She said 'I don't really have time for a litter - but I will sell them to a pet shop - they will find good homes for them...' I nearly lept out of my chair screaming - 'please don't do that'! Finally explained that they find 'any' home - not necessarily a good home.

Thankfully said kitten was not pregnant and is now desexed.

good on you :)

Currently I'm helping a friend into researching a CKCS and we will be going to shows to meet some breeders :)

You should come to the Cavalier speciality show this weekend, at Erskine Park :laugh:

thanks for the heads up. I'll let her know :D

Edited by CW EW

:) Good job, LizT.

I've been trying to convince my friend that pet shops are bad for a while now.. he keeps insisting "well every dog deserves to find a home, even the ones in pet stores!" Dunno what to say to him anymore :)

:) Good job, LizT.

I've been trying to convince my friend that pet shops are bad for a while now.. he keeps insisting "well every dog deserves to find a home, even the ones in pet stores!" Dunno what to say to him anymore :)

Tell them that dogs in the pound all deserves to find a home too...

From what I've experience.. it comes with the culture on how they were bought around dogs. Either they have never had a dog before or growing up, their dogs were from friends selling or giving dogs away.. they don't understand puppies or dogs. They don't know about training or anything either.

you have hit the nail on the head with this one. It is exactly why I got our first two from where we did - it was what we did as we were growing up. One of them PTS at 7 months was the wake up call. BUT if I had only got my girl from the pet shop I would have been none the wiser, never got into dog sports and continued on blissfully unaware.

As it is I had to train train train because of all the little man's behavioural problems, caught the bug and am now run by dogs sports. We now have 3 dogs - 2 pedigree and the little girl who first came from the pet shop.

not sure what the solution is, but good work to everyone who changes just one person's mind!

Well done!

I've set up a facebook account for Zeus and I use it to educate all his "friends" (ie. everyone I know) about puppy farms and pet shops. I think its worked on some because its less confronting than being lectured by a stranger.

PS. Zeus has more friends than I do.

:laugh: Good job, LizT.

I've been trying to convince my friend that pet shops are bad for a while now.. he keeps insisting "well every dog deserves to find a home, even the ones in pet stores!" Dunno what to say to him anymore :D

Anyone buying from those pet stores would be keeping up demand, thus strengthening market.

I refuse to buy anything from stores that sell dogs/cats/etc.

Well we got our 2 from different pet shops and never again will I do that!! Our girl was at a "good" pet store where they have very large running pens outdoors and she was paper trained when we got her but our little man Teddy was horrible! Had no instinct that he should not poop where he sleeps! we had to wash his bed everyday because there would be mess on it every morning. He is now 5 1/2 months and hasnt had an acciedent in about 3 weeks now so we think he has the hang of it!! :laugh: Plus he had kennel cough so we did not sleep for a month and our other 1 got it too! Our vet became our best friend for awhile there!

So toilet training alone should scare some people off! I also dont buy their food from stores where they sell puppies anymore! I have done a complete 360 in the last couple of months and wont even go into pet stores at the shops for toys.

We love our 2 more than the world and I dont regret getting them but next time I will be adopting from a experienced breeder! This website is fantastic at educating people and I have told so many people about it and saved them from making the same mistakes as I did!

I have lived and learned from pet shop puppies and will never do it again! Promise!! I also have DD's...lord oh lord did I mess up on our first puppy buying adventure! :D

:laugh: Good job, LizT.

I've been trying to convince my friend that pet shops are bad for a while now.. he keeps insisting "well every dog deserves to find a home, even the ones in pet stores!" Dunno what to say to him anymore :D

'

Ask him if the same applies to the parents of pet shop puppies. Puppy farm dogs deserve good homes too. Every sale from a pet shop keeps two dogs in misery.

Edited by poodlefan

I have to say anyone that i talk dogs to, does not realise in all honesty where dogs from pet shops come from. The more you talk to them a they talk about their pet shop dogs costing them a fortune due to problems with limbs, or training problems, they understand and are disgusted. I now talk openly to anyone who will listen, and they do listen, cause once you tell them you foster for a rescue group, they know you are not talking crap...I think everyone i work with now knows what i think of the pet shop industry, and by the time i feed them that many youtube visions of puppy farms they now have a better understanding. Its all about getting it out there to the public....Pet shops have Good marketing, we can do the same

It's also fair to say that not all Pet Shop Puppies are from Puppy Mills. Many are probably from BYB who have a Purebred 'this' that they have breed to a mates 'purebred 'same' and then passed the puppies on to the Pet Shop for a quick buck. No Registration fees, no health checks etc. And the consumer buys a 'Purebred dog'. In the past I've seen signs in the Window stating "Puppies Wanted", that almost cheered me up because at first I thought maybe supply was low, but perhaps demand was high! :D

I had a workmate who heard I had sent my bitch to Stud. Oh, you can get up to $300 (quite a mark up for the Pet Shop isn't it!) per pup from a Petshop for those. That's what my sister in law does!! :laugh:

Another patient explanation of why I became a Registered Breeder. They actually agreed with me and said they would like to see no animals in Pet Shops. Which was just as well because sometimes you don't want the conversation to go on and on and on and on.... :rofl:

My neighbour was looking to get a CKC a couple of weeks ago and saw one at Pets Paradise for $950. I told her about puppy mills etc and why it isn't good to go to a pet shop. I talked her out of getting the pup and tried to get her one from Miley's breeder. She wouldn't wait the 3 days :) and she said she wanted to use her credit card, which obviously a breeder wouldn't take.

So what does she do!?!? She goes to ACA breeders and gets a cavalier x poodle :rofl: Oh but they use breeders, she says.

I even linked her to an article with a raid on a ACA puppy farm the night before she got the puppy, but she still went ahead and got her. They even gave her the wrong dog the numbskulls. She's had diarrhea since they got her.

To my horror, a colleague who owns a Moodle was berating her son for buying a purebred Dobe from a breeder. She said to me, well it can't be a great dog because he only paid $400 for it. I said "are you comparing the dog to what you paid for your Moodle". She said "yes", I said you and I need to have a long chat - we are having lunch in a couple of weeks ....