Rspca In Strife Over Animal Rescue Tv

Steve

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09...?section=justin

The RSPCA has been told to review its agreement with Channel 7 reality TV program Animal Rescue following a New South Wales Government inquiry into a raid on a wildlife park.

The RSPCA removed eight koalas from Gunnedah's Waterways Wildlife Park after inspectors found the animals to stressed, dehydrated and malnourished.

The raid in February was filmed by an Animal Rescue television crew, raising questions over whether the RSPCA's actions were motivated by self interest.

While the organisation was cleared of any wrongdoing, the inquiry found the presence of cameras inflamed emotions about the incident.

Nancy Small, one of the owners of the park, says the presence of the film crew made a difficult situation worse.

"To me it was just setting up the whole scene for a TV program just to get an expose for the film crew. And really on the day I just couldn't understand the whole thing," she said.

Greens Member of the New South Wales Parliament Ian Cohen, who chaired the inquiry, says the incident raised a number of concerns about the RSPCA's involvement with the TV series.

"There has been a lot of concern... that the RSPCA came in with more interest in creating a situation so that the filming became a part of a process," he said.

The inquiry also scrutinised the financial relationship between the RSPCA and Imagination Television, which produces the series.

Mr Cohen says while it was not illegal for the film crew to be on the property, there was some confusion over whether the property owners were actually asked before filming was undertaken.

The inquiry has recommended the RSPCA ensure that its contract with Imagination Television requires the Animal Rescue film crew to obtain written consent from property owners prior to the start of filming.

Steve Coleman, chief executive of RSPCA New South Wales, says the organisation will look at improving its agreement with Animal Rescue film crews, but says inspectors always put their work ahead of the needs of television.

"Their job is to seek permission to go onto people's property and get their consent to take footage. So that's explained at every job the RSPCA attends in company with Animal Rescue and it's a very clearly understood process," he said.

Mr Coleman maintains RSPCA inspectors acted properly in conducting the raid, but concedes the presence of cameras aggravated the situation.

"We accept that on this occasion the involvement of Animal Rescue in some quarters has been considered salt in the wound," he said.

"That is a risk that any organisation takes when they involve shows such as Animal Rescue... and it clearly escalated on this occasion."

Ms Small says she wants to put the incident behind her and that she will comply with every necessary regulation to keep the wildlife park open.

I would just like to say here that I know of reports from people who have been in this situation who are ready to swear that they asked for the cameras to be turned off and were told that they had no choice and that it would be used in the show.that they never signed anything to say it was O.K. for the filming. Judy Gard is one of them.

And what exciting footage did they get from Jundy Gard besides an understandably emotional older lady and a pack of well cared for show dogs.

:thumbsup::) well done RSPCA , you are quickly adding to the list of lives wrecked, all in the name of publicity

Judy said she didn't want them to film so they agreed not to film her but they did film her home and her dogs and the incident where the dogs were removed from her home.

They told her about the RSPCA rescue show and told her that was why they were filming but according to Judy she was given no choice.

Well, it pains me unbelievably to say this, but WELL DONE to the NSW GOvernment and WELL DONE to one of my not-so-favourite watermelons (read Greens - green on the outside, red on the inside) the Hon. Ian Cohen MLC.

Finally, finally, finally, a government somewhere has held an inquiry into one of the many incidents where the ugly head of self-interest and self-promotion is plainly visible and is being put way ahead of real animal welfare and working with people in a constructive manner.

Yes, it is an election year for the NSW Government and the watermelons will want to be back there pulling the strings behind the former shop stewards who enjoy seats of power, so I wont send them all a letter of thanks just yet - Souff's reality radar IS still working and I am not totally blinded by the emotion of this wondrous event.

Souff

Edited by Souff

Well, it pains me unbelievably to say this, but WELL DONE to the NSW GOvernment and WELL DONE to one of my not-so-favourite watermelons (read Greens - green on the outside, red on the inside) the Hon. Ian Cohen MLC.

Finally, finally, finally, a government somewhere has held an inquiry into one of the many incidents where the ugly head of self-interest and self-promotion is plainly visible and is being put way ahead of real animal welfare and working with people in a constructive manner.

Yes, it is an election year for the NSW Government and the watermelons will want to be back there pulling the strings behind the former shop stewards who enjoy seats of power, so I wont send them all a letter of thanks just yet - Souff's reality radar IS still working and I am not totally blinded by the emotion of this wondrous event.

Souff

With you on the watermelons. I am not sure what the motive is. Maybe a prefered far far left animal rights group who would like the job, coming to a town in Oz near you soon?

Souff

With you on the watermelons. I am not sure what the motive is. Maybe a prefered far far left animal rights group who would like the job, coming to a town in Oz near you soon?

Or maybe what he said was true. :kissbetter:

Not everything is a conspiracy.

I've often wondered about the privacy/permission issues re the reality TV programs that involve some kind of authority dealing with the public.

There's lots of such programs now, involving police, customs, animal welfare etc.

I've often wondered about the privacy/permission issues re the reality TV programs that involve some kind of authority dealing with the public.

There's lots of such programs now, involving police, customs, animal welfare etc.

In some of them the faces are blanked out so it makes me wonder why (a) any person gives permission to a film crew to film them under these circumstances and (b) why some people seem to be filmed without them giving permission.

In some of them the faces are blanked out so it makes me wonder why (a) any person gives permission to a film crew to film them under these circumstances and (b) why some people seem to be filmed without them giving permission.

Yes, to a & b.

There's so many people who appear full-face in these programs, where they're suspected, at the least, of doing something 'off'.

Hard to believe they'd be so hungry for 5 minutes of 'shame' on TV, that they'd give permission.

Or is it a case, they're not routinely asked by the film crews. And only blanked out, if they make the request themselves.

There's so many people who appear full-face in these programs, where they're suspected, at the least, of doing something 'off'.

Hard to believe they'd be so hungry for 5 minutes of 'shame' on TV, that they'd give permission.

Ah Mita, their state of mind, or lack thereof, is probably a whole lot different to yours and mine :vomit:

Souff

Edited by Souff

this should be mandatory reading for every politican being pressured to GIVE US MORE POWER CRAP

WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO RUTH DOWNEY they have been doing for decades and no one will listen to the victums.

all they get is "u must have deserved it."

Edited by asal

i recommend you make the time to read the lot.

this guy had done it the right way. no hysterics just the truth is its damming n sadly true and will continue until maybe some day some one with guts will actually do something and make the bastards answerable, its not a big ask its called democracy. anyone remember that?? :laugh:

its factual, its true its got to get out there.

Edited by asal

Yep, and well done for seizing the koalas from a chlamydia free population, exposing them to risk and then returning them to the once chlamydia free koala population !!!

I don't think the people of Gunnedah will be filling the dontation boxes for the rspca.

fifi

Yep, and well done for seizing the koalas from a chlamydia free population, exposing them to risk and then returning them to the once chlamydia free koala population !!!

I don't think the people of Gunnedah will be filling the dontation boxes for the rspca.

fifi

Didn't they manage to kill a couple of healthy Koala's too ?

fifi

Didn't they manage to kill a couple of healthy Koala's too ?

:)

at least one that I know of.

fifi